Sungjong's Admirer

Yah, Lemon Candy!

"Hey, Sungjong!" You chirped, swinging an arm around the bewildered guy's shoulder.

Woohyun joined and hooked his arm around Sungjong from the other side.  "Sup, dongsaeng?" he greeted, crinkling up his eyes into a smile.

Sungjong tried wriggling out of your guys' arms.  "Yah!  Let...me...go!" he kept squirming, but couldn't escape.  Like you said, he was the weakest one in Infinite, even weaker than you at times.

"Yah, Lemon Candy," you said as he still attempted to escape.  "What are you doing at the library?  I thought you'd be at home learning the newest girl group song or something."

He stopped struggling and answered, "For your information, I'm here to study.  What did you think I was doing?"

Woohyun chimed in, "Molla, but we're here every day and never catch one glimpse of you.  What made you come here today?"  You just realized this as well and waited for his answer.       

Sungjong looked a bit hesitant in answering and said instead, “Aish, so annoying.  Always trying to pry information out of me.”  He turned back to check out his books .

You glanced over at Woohyun and noticed that he saw something off with Sungjong as well.  You leaned over to Woohyun and pretended to whisper, but spoke loud enough so that Sungjong could hear.  "Hmm, why do you think Lemon Candy's here today?  He's usually anywhere else but the library.  I think he's trying to impress someone," you concluded.

Woohyun quickly caught on and tried to hide his snicker.  "Yeah, probably.  I mean, why else would he be here?  He's certainly not here to see us, since there's not one day where we don't meet up.  He's definitely crushing on someone here~" Woohyun said in the same tone and volume as you.

Sungjong, who had been eavesdropping on your guys' conversation, turned bright red and stopped checking out his books.  "Y-yah!" He stuttered.  You and Woohyun couldn't contain your guys' laughter anymore and stood there laughing at his shocked expression.

"I'm not crushing on anyone-"

"Oppa!" A girl that looked at least two years older than Woohyun bounced out of no where and clung onto Sungjong's arm. 

You stood there with your jaw wide open in bewilderment.  Without even looking at your best friend, you knew he had the same expression.  Sungjong had a... girlfriend? 

"Oppa," she called again, to Sungjong.  It was then that she noticed you two standing there, with mouths still agape.  She blinked innocently and asked, "Who are they?"

Still not recovered from the shock, you felt a strong jab on your arm from Woohyun.  You held the spot that he just poked and turned to him harshly.  "Ow," and squinted your eyes at him, receiving an apologetic eye smile.  You rolled your eyes at him and turned to the supposed "girlfriend" of Sungjong's.  You tried to smile as best you could through the pain that you just encountered, thanks the pabo Namu, and said, "Hey, nice to meet you, unnie.  He's Woohyun and my name's Haerin."  You and Woohyun bowed simultaneously. 

Just as you guys were about to come up from your 90 degrees bow, you felt hands on your shoulders and a panicked voice saying, "Oh, no, no, no!  You don't have to bow to me!  We're all friends here!"

Seriously?  Woohyun glanced at you with the same confused expression you were having.  It was cool how you guys could both communicate to each other with only expressions. 

Sungjong then broke the tension.  "Hey!  What are you saying?  I'm not your oppa!"  He yelled, pushing her hand away.  "You look twice as old as me!" 

Seeing the heartbreaking look the girl had on her face made you feel a sense of sympathy for her.  You said, "Yah, Lemon Candy.  How can you say something like that to a girl?  Especially someone older than you, huh?  How do you think you made her feel?"

The girl instantly piped in, waving her hands frantically, "A-aniyo!  I'm not that older than him, only about three months.  I'm not really bothered by that..."

This was a shock to you.  You cringed at the fact that you had just unintentionally called the poor girl old.  You felt another jab at your side and irritably turned to face Woohyun.  Nice going, smart one.  His face said. 

Aisshh, you cringed harder.  You turned back to the girl.  "Ah, is that so..?  Then, uh, I'm sorry I assumed you to be a bit older than you actually are... Mianhae."  You slightly tugged on Woohyun's shirt and hid behind his back.  "Say something," you whispered.

You felt him freeze up.  Hehe, er.  Your turn to talk now.  "What she meant was... uh... Sungjong!"  He changed the subject.  "How can you act like that to this, uh, ... kind...lady?"

You snickered unintentionally and he kicked your shin to quiet you down.  This made you stumble and hold your leg, wincing and biting your lip to hide the pain. 

The girl spoke up, "Ah, I'm so sorry.  It seems like I've made you guys uncomfortable.  I'll just leave now, sorry for the awkwardness."  Her eyes fluttered up to Sungjong, who had opted to stare at something in the distance, before hanging her head low and sulking away.

You finally recovered and immediately smacked Woohyun's arm to chastise him.  "WHAT THE HECK, DUDE?!"

"You were snickering and I had to do something to shush you up.  I wouldn't want someone to mistake my bestie for an evil queenka who laughs at others, would I?"  He smiled innocently.

"Sure..." you continued glaring at him, before turning to Sungjong.  "Yah. Lemon Candy, what was that all about?"

Sungjong finished checking out the remainder of his things and faced the two of you.  "Aish, would you stop calling me that? " he snapped. 

Used to him protesting the name, you just continued, "So who was that?"

Woohyun backed you up.  "Yeah, man.  All these years, and I've never seen you with any girl.  Why now?"

You could see that Sungjong was getting nervous for some reason, and so, just to intimidate him for the fun of it, you closed in, making him pressed against the check-out table.  You laughed.  "Why so nervous?  Unless you're hiding something from us..."

He scoffed apprehensively.  "You guys, seriously.  What makes you think that?"  His eyes darted around the library, and he eyed the exit anxiously.

You noticed this and said, "Oh, don't think you're going to escape us that easily.  I demand an answer from you, Lee Sungjong!"

"Fine!  Step back a bit and give me some space, would you?  You know your breath stinks."  He waved a hand in front of his nose indicating your supposedly "bad breath."

"Yah!" you yelled at him.  "My breath does not stink!  And if it does, it's all thanks to the lemon candy that you give me.  Woohyun, does my breath smell?"  You turned to him and exhaled tremendously.

He jumped backwards with a semi-grossed out expression.  "Ew, no!"

Sungjong took this opportunity while you were distracted to run to his escape. 

Before you knew it, he was out the library exit.  "Yah!!  Don't forget that I live with you!" You screamed after him.  "Don't think that you can escape me that easily!"

"Pabo," you heard Woohyun chuckle from behind you.  "Getting distracted by something like that."

Slightly offended, you retorted, "I care about my breath ok, unlike someone." You glared at him.  "Just watch, I'll pry the answer out of that Lemon Candy, if I have to."  He continued laughing.  "Yah!  You better watch it, too.  Or else I'll set that girl up with you.  You once said that you liked noonas didn't you?" You lied.  Woohyun never said he liked noonas, but you decided to take the chance to .

"I never said that!" He replied while he kind of stopped laughing.  "And she said that she was just a couple months older than Sungjong, so she's not older than me."

"Suure," you teased.  "I know that you thought she was older than you, don't lie."

"Aish, how come you can tell when I'm lying?  Other people say that I'm the best liar, so how is it that you can tell?  Scary, man." Woohyun pouted.

"Stop with all the aegyo, dude.  It's grossing me out," you cringed.  "Let's go home.  It's getting dark."

"Yeah, let's go." He agreed.

On the way home, you guys talked about random topics, like the new k-pop songs and how Kurosuji took so long to come out with season three.  After what felt like only a few seconds, you reached the front steps of Sungjong's house. 

"Eommonim!" You chirped when Sungjong's mom opened the door.  "Ah Haerin, Woohyun.  Finally, you guys are home.  How was school?" she asked you.

"Fine~ Just studied a bit more than usual today.  Oh, by the way, eommonim, we have some news about Sungjong."

"BE QUIET!" you heard as footsteps quickly came towards the front door to show a red-faced Sungjong.

"Whoa, man, calm down," Woohyun said from outside.

"Yeah, or else I'm going to have to call you something else beside Lemon Candy, Lemon Candy," you added.  "Oh well, it can wait, eommonim.  It seems like someone's a bit angry at the moment."  You stepped inside the house and started removing your shoes.  "Well good night, Namu.  Walk home safely!"  You waved good-bye to him.

"See ya tomorrow, Haerin.  Night, you guys."  He bowed once to Sungjong's mom and turned to go back to his house.

"Ok, you two.  Off to bed.  You guys have school tomorrow, so you better have finished your homework," Sungjong's mom said.

 

"Meanie," you muttered to Sungjong while trying to cover your smile.

"Whatever," he said, and walked into his room. 

During the first few years you lived with Sungjong's family, you had shared a room with him, but slept on an inflatable mattress next to his bed.  His mom had offered a bed for your comfort, but you declined.  This was because you still had some doubts that your parents would abandon you for good, and you saw his house as a temporary home for you.  But after half a year, you began to give up hope, and allowed his mom to get you a bed.  Although it was comfortable, you still missed the usual reassurance of your parents on either side of you, tucking you into bed at night.

Instead, every night, you were greeted with insults from that diva, like "Quit snoring like a pig, would ya?" or "You fart in your sleep?  Gross."  You disregarded them and just tried to sleep like you normally would at home.  On some occasions, when the memories of your parents became unbearable, causing you to break into tears, Sungjong's mom would be there to comfort you.

Recently, on the eleventh year of staying here, you realized that rooming with a guy was probably not a very decent thing to do as a growing girl, so you asked to move into a separate room.  Sungjong's mom understood what you were going through, and as though she supported your opinion, she came to the fact that the house wasn't big enough for you to move out into your own room.  That's why you're still stuck with this Lemon Candy until this day.

Finally, you finished washing up and changing into your pajamas.  You climbed into your bed, that was still next to Sungjong's (sadly) and turned out the lights on your side.  He was already asleep, or so you assumed, as his back was turned towards you.

“Good night, Lemon Candy,” you whispered, and went to sleep.  You can’t afford to lose one minute of sleep.  School takes all the energy you’ve got.

 

A/N: Amazing poster by Twelve Moons Gallery! ^_^