A Step Closer

Yah, Lemon Candy!

"Room 246," you mumbled over and over as you and Sungjong ventured through the corridors.  According to your packet's directory, this was the way to your assigned patient's room.  "246..."

Sungjong seemed to be awkwardly trailing behind.  You could sense that he still had no clue what he had done wrong.  A part of you wanted to just forget it and continue your usual teasing.  But another half also wanted him to realize on his own what he had done wrong...

"Kyaaaaa!!!!!" A woman flew out of nowhere and landed in between you guys.  "Freedom...?" The figure twitched disturbingly on the carpeted floor.

You clamped a hand to your mouth to hide your astonishment, but couldn't peel your eyes away from the woman on the ground.

In a few seconds, two guards, who were guffawing hysterically, appeared by the woman's side.  One of them said while laughing, "Sooni, you crazy woman.  Get the heck off the ground before you start making out with it again."

The other guard slapped his knee, not even attempting to contain his laughter.  "Ha!  I remember when that happened!" He pretended to wipe a tear from his eye.  "Priceless!" The two of them continued patting each other on the backs to acknowledge each other's "witty" remarks.

You raised an eyebrow at the strange scene, and without listening to another one of their words, you dashed over to the woman still face down on the ground.  "Oh my gosh!" you gasped and crouched down to place a gentle hand on her back.  "Are you alright-?"

The woman flung your arm off of her with full force.  "It's Mrs.Yoo to you brats!" she yelled, pushing herself up.

You landed backwards from her sudden motion.  "I'm sorry, but-"

"Get lost!" she demanded, her spit flying out.

The two guards chuckled knowingly to themselves in the background.  You glared at them with hatred for their rudeness, while trying to mask the confusion in your mind.  You opened your mouth to shout at them, but suddenly felt two hands extending to help you to your feet.  Warmth spread over you, as you took notice to who it was.  Nonetheless, you clenched your jaw.  "Lemon Candy, let go of me," you ordered.

He just continued pulling you up, making you face him in the process.  Sungjong firmly grasped your shoulders to get your attention.  "Haerin," he said softly. 

You tried to break eye contact, but he cupped your chin.  You shivered at his action.  "What?" You grumbled, proud that your voice was strong and assertive.  On the inside, you couldn't even get yourself to make eye contact with him.

"Yah!  You dare do that to an authoritative figure?" You heard one of the guards scream at the woman.  "Ungrateful b-"

"Hey, cut the the woman some slack." Your head snapped up when you heard Sungjong's stern voice.

Did he really just stand up for her?

The woman didn't seem to back down, and instead, stood even bolder.  "Yeah, you freakishly huge men," she stated with a haphazard smirk on her face.  "Back off from my path to freedom."

You noticed how her voice was slurred but still full of that vigor that you've heard before.  And her strange use of the word... freedom.  "Oh!" you exclaimed when realization finally hit you.  "Are you Sooni-"

"IT'S MRS.YOON TO YOU," she spat.

You shrank back a bit from her harsh words.  Unfortunately, you forgot that Sungjong was right behind you, and unintentionally leaned into him.  Startled, you tried to straighten up, but he just placed a reassuring hand on your arm to steady you.  Looking up into his face, you could read that he wanted you to keep quiet.

For what? you asked with annoyed eyes.  You weren't one to just let people order you around.

Just let me handle it.  With that, he let go to walk over to the three.  "Mrs.Yoon," he greeted to gain her attention.  He smiled and extended his hand.  "My name is Lee Sungjong, and I'm here with Haerin."  I waved politely, but only earned a glare from the woman.  Awkwardly, I retracted my arm and glanced elsewhere.  Sungjong continued talking in what seemed like a respectful manner, but I knew better.  His voice was slightly quivering.  My jaw dropped.  Is this guy laughing at me?  Why, he's gonna get it... "Haerin, this way."

You snapped back when Sungjong beckoned you to follow the three figures.  Rapidly, you scrambled to the spot next to Sungjong as you all filed down the hallway.  Despite his making fun of you just a few moments earlier, you decided to hold your head high and act as if nothing had happened.  "So," you said to Sungjong.  "Are we heading towards room 246?"

"Hahahaha, Haerin, that was so embarrassing!" Sungjong broke into a fit of laughter, much to your disappointment.  "I can't believe you waved to her and she just glared at you!" He wiped a tear from his eye.  "Gosh, I'm cracking up."

You stood on tip toes and grabbed a fistful of his fluffy black hair.  "Yah, shut up, Lemon Candy!" you scowled.

“Kids, break it up.  We’re here.”  The guards stuck a key into the steel door that you guys were now standing in front of.  With a creak, the door slightly gave in, but then, all of a sudden, it swung open with full force, nearly slamming into the wall behind it.  Sooni jumped backwards from the loud noise and stepped on Sungjong’s foot.

“Ow,” he winced, but immediately set his foot back down.

Sooni turned around and patted his head.  “Sorry, boy,” she said in a baby voice.  “But you’re a strong wittle boy, aren’t chu?” she cooed as she ruffled his hair.  “Who’s a good boy?”

In front, the two guards broke into laughter again.  “Look at that!  She’s treating him like a dog!  Typical old Sooni.”

You rolled up your sleeves, physically and mentally prepared to take these two men down in a fight.  “Yah!  If you’re already wasting your time in this place, why don’t you try to act like real guards for once?” you fumed.

Sungjong stepped out from Sooni’s praise to stand by you.  “Haerin, I don’t think you should…”

“Oh, she’s right, boy,” one of the guards said.  “We shouldn’t be teasing a wrinkly old hag.”

You crossed your arms.  “Excuse you.”

“Good one!” His buddy gave him a fist bump.

“Why I oughta-“

“Haerin.  Stop.” Sungjong held you back with such force, you stumbled straight into him.

With that, Sooni stepped into the room as well and kicked the two guards out.  “Oh well,” she sang.  “Chop chop.  You can go now~ I’ll be perfectly fine with these two lovely grandkids.” She then slammed the door in their faces.

From the other side, you could hear them sneer, “Oh yeah, keep thinking that, granny.  No matter how many ‘grandkids’ come visit you, you’re never getting better.  Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re gone by tomorrow.”

“Shut it!” Sooni grumbled.

“Oh yeah?” they chuckled.  “Make us!  What can a mental old lady, confined in a locked room, possibly do to harm us?”

Even though the guards were on the other side of the steel door, Sooni’s actions showed that she didn’t even care about that.  From a nearby coffee table, she grabbed a lamp and it onto the ground with full force, shattering the porcelain.  She picked up a shard and directed it towards you and Sungjong with bloodshot eyes.

You were shocked at what she was planning to do.  You glanced up to Sungjong, and he had the same look on his face.  Is she really going to…?

“You guys are laughing at me?” Sooni’s voice came out ragged and maniacal.  She cackled, “You can’t even see what I’m doing right now, can you?”  Her question was directed towards the two guards.

Their responses were shaky.  “N-no, but we heard something break… Sooni, what are you doing?”

She cackled again.  “Oh, I’ve been counting how many days I’ve been here.  Exactly 25 years since I’ve last seen actual daylight.”  She tightened her grip on the broken porcelain, advancing towards you and Sungjong.

You backed away as far as possible, since you had no idea what this patient was capable of.  This was a mental hospital for crying out loud.  To your surprise, Sungjong wrapped an arm around your shoulders, as if protecting you from whatever was to come.  Your heartbeat suddenly sped up thrice its normal rhythm.

“Twenty-five years,” she emphasized.  “I haven’t been with my family… my friends….” She let her words trail off, and you could sense that painful memories were washing over her.  Memories of being trapped in this place without any sense of belonging nor comfort.  You ached to just do something to help rid her of that pain.

“Twenty-five years without any love...” Sooni was now crying, breaking down right in front of you guys.

You and Sungjong were frozen, while the bodyguards were still on the other side of the door.  “S-Sooni,” one of the guards called.  “We’re-“

“YOU’RE WHAT?!” she yelled.  Her voice was so boomy, it bounced around the steel walls.

“S-Sorry!” they begged.

Sooni’s rage got the best of her.  “Well it’s too late for that!” She stomped even closer to you and Sungjong.

He almost yelped, while you squinted your eyes shut.  “L-Lemon Candy, what’s she doing?”

“I d-don’t know.”

“You two!” the woman screeched.  “I can’t stand another day in this hole.  If I’m going down, you’re going down with me.”  She raised the shard, ready to lunge it towards you guys.

“N-no!” you cried at the last minute.  The shard was literally right above your head.  You were drenched in sweat, fearing her intentions.  “Sooni, we-“

“IT’S MRS.YOON!”

“Mrs. Yoon,” you corrected with a quivering voice.  “We understand what you’ve had to go through.  And… it’s not fair to take your life because of that.”

Her eyes were blurred.  “Have you been spending your life trapped, with no contact from the outside world?  From all the people you love?!”

“No, but-“

“Then shut up!” she shrieked, raising the shard once again.

This time, Sungjong spoke up.  “Please, Mrs.Yoon.  Please don’t do something you’ll regret.”  It was then that you noticed how his fingers were tightly pressing into your skin, as if he was fearing the same thing as well.  He continued, “Please, Mrs.Yoon.  If it’s love you need… we’re here for you.  We’ll support you.  Right, Haerin?” He glanced down at you for assurance, and you instantly nodded along.

The old woman lowered the broken piece of porcelain.  “Love…?  Show me…love?”  Just like that, her eyes sparkled.  “Yes!  I want to see love again!”

The heavy stone weighing down your chest finally lifted, and you released a sigh of relief, smiling successfully up at Sungjong.  Then you turned back to face Sooni.  “Alright, Mrs.Yoon.  Whatever act of love you’d like from us, we’re willing to give to you.”

Sungjong nodded.  “Just say the word and we’ll be more than happy to do it.”

The old woman’s eyes twinkled.  “Alright.  The act of love I want to see first is… a kiss.  Between the two of you!”

A/N: I am so sorry this took forever to write ;^; First, I had writer's block, then I had to rewrite this chapter three times until I was satisfied.  Thank you you all for being so patient!  <3333

Remember to comment!! ^^