Paired Up

Yah, Lemon Candy!

Sungjong tried to defend himself by waving his arms, but to no avail.  "Sungjonggie, how do you expect me to stay away from you when you're just so lovable?" Nana threw his arms around Sungjong's body, cradling into his neck.  Oddly, you felt a bit uncomfortable at their sudden contact, but you reminded yourself that that was a typical Nana thing to do.

"Oppa, you're volunteering here too?  Yay!" Nana cheered. "We're gonna be working together the whole weekend!"

He groaned in annoyance.  Rescuing Lemon Candy from an intensely awkward situation, you saw someone striding over.  "Hey," Baekhyun said.  Then he turned to you.  "Hi, Haerin," he gave a slight wave.

All of a sudden, you noticed Sungjong tense up even more, if that was even possible.  He set his jaw and clenched his fists.  Nana must've noticed, as he released Sungjong from the embrace. 

 Woohyun, on the other hand, scratched his head in confusion.  "I'm sorry, but I'm lost.  Who's this?"

Baekhyun's mouth curled into a kind hearted smile.  "My name is Baek.  I'm their friend," he explained.

"Oh."

"We're not really friends," Sungjong muttered.

Woohyun tilted his head.  "What do you-"

"Volunteers, would you please gather around." An announcer was standing onstage, a microphone in his hand.  All of you, along with the rest of the volunteers, crowded around the base of the stage.  The announcer smiled and continued.  "First off, we'd like to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to volu-" 

"Shut up!"

Everyone's attention darted to the source of the voice that emanated from the back of the room.  Sooner than you could process, two guards emerged, dragging along a protesting man.  He was dressed in a stained nightgown and had mangled hair.  "Be quiet!" the crazed guy yelled again.  This time, he suddenly fell to the ground and broke down into tears right on the spot.  The guards, keeping a straight face, pulled him up to his feet and forced him to keep walking.  You stared in both awe and disbelief as the guards, so casually, manhandled the patient out of the wing.

The announcer chuckled awkwardly.  "Sorry you had to witness that, folks," he apologized as people started to face the stage again.  "Again, I'd like to represent the entire staff in saying thank you for taking the time to volunteer here.  As you can see, we have patients in a lot of situations, with varying levels of mental state.  One of the higher levels being that one guy who just got dragged out." The crowd laughed weakly at his attempt of entertainment, but you didn't feel like laughing.  How could he just belittle that guy so bluntly?  You glanced over at Woohyun and Sungjong, taking notice that they felt the same.  Nevertheless, you guys tried to disregard it and tuned back in. 

"... lot of responsibility.  That is why we have assigned beforehand the patients you will be working with.  You can find out who your patient is on that table, where there are pamphlets and info packages for some general guidelines." He gestured to a nearby table and finally concluded, "Now, without further ado, I will leave you guys to it.  Have fun!  And keep in mind that you guys can dig out anytime between 2:10 and 2:30." With that, the crowd dispersed to find out about their patient.

"Alright, my dear acquaintances.  Shall we start?"  Baekhyun elaborated asked.

Sungjong scoffed, "I'm not taking orders from you." 

You teased, "Lighten up, Diva.  No one ordered you to do anything."

Baekhyun slid an arm around your shoulders.  "Thanks for taking my side." He winked at you.  Out of the corner of your eye, you saw Sungjong's mouth slightly drop open.  But once you turned your head to get a better look, you noticed that he had regained himself.  Man did you want to explain all this to Lemon Candy.  You didn't want any misunderstandings.  Not with this strange...feeling you couldn't quite put your finger on.

"Well, well, well," Woohyun said.  "I guess I'm not the only one here.  But I gotta warn ya," He grasped your forearm and jerked you towards him.  "She belongs to me."

"Aw, that's so cute!" Nana gushed, encouraging Namu even more.  

"I don't like grease," you teased, slapping away Woohyun's puckered lips, much to the delight of Nana.

"Aish," Sungjong hissed as he let out another squeal.  "This is a mental hospital, for crying out loud!  Can you guys stop flirting already?"

Baekhyun chuckled at the scene.  "I'll go grab the packets for all five of us."

You nodded in thanks and watched him head over to the table.  Nana was trying to twirl a few pieces of Lemon Candy's hair, but he kept protesting.  You chilled in the back with Woohyun.

"Okay, I'm back." You guys turned to see Baekhyun holding three packets.  "It seems like we're split into groups of two," he explained.  He looked at the covers of each pamphlet and handed them out accordingly.  

He handed one to you first, and you quickly glanced at the cover.  Lee Sungjong & Kim Haerin.  You looked at Sungjong, who still seemed to not know who he was paired up with.  He nervously scooted away from Nana, afraid that he might get paired with him.  

Baekhyun exclaimed, "What?  I'm not paired with any of you guys." He stared at his packet in disbelief.  "Darn it.  This ."

You laughed and shook your head as you skipped over to Sungjong.  "Yah, Lemon Candy," you called.

Sungjong's head snapped up.  "Y-yeah?  Please tell me that my name is printed on your packet." He turned and shot a glare at Nana.

You waved the packet nonchalantly in front of you.  "Oh, sorry, Lemon Candy," you attempted to pout.  "But I'm paired with Namu." You watched in amusement as his jaw gaped open.

"B-b-but.  If you're paired with Namu... does that mean that the only person left for me is... Nana?!"

You clenched your jaw to keep a poker face.  However, his expression was priceless.  He whipped his head between you and Nana in horror, until Nana spoke up.  "Um, Nam Woohyun?" he asked in his deep voice, not even trying to use falsetto.  He only did that in front of Sungjong, you've noticed.

Woohyun calmly looked up.  "That would be me."

Nana's face broke out into a wide grin.  "I was kinda hoping to get Sungjong oppa as a partner... but it seems like I've been paired with you!" He ran over to Woohyun and engulfed him in a tight hug.  Woohyun tilted back in surprise, but returned the hug nonetheless.

You clucked the roof of your mouth disapprovingly.  "Tsk tsk.  Namu just can't control his grease sometimes." When you didn't hear anyone else talking, you suddenly remembered Sungjong.  "Oh, Lemon Candy, aren't-" You stopped mid-sentence when you realized he was practically two inches away from your face.  You gulped.

"You.  Lied.  To.  Me.  KIM HAERIN!" Sungjong shrieked.

You broke out into laughter at his outburst.  "Gosh, Lemon Candy.  Don't get all worked up.  It was just a joke-" You were once again interrupted from completing your sentence.  But this time, you felt a pair of arms wrap around your torso.  You stood frozen in place as you realized who it was coming from.

"Gomawo, Haerin." Sungjong was hugging you.  You were at a lost for words.  You kept sputtering nonsense as you felt a wave of emotions tickling your stomach.  He chuckled at your nonsense and said, "Thanks for being here." Bdmp.  Bdmp.  Your heart was beating uncontrollably fast.  Sungjong continued.  "If it wasn't for you, I probably would been paired with Nana."

And just like that, your heart sank.  Is that all?  Is that the reason why he was hugging you?  You instinctively broke away from the hug.  You kept your head down as you mumbled, "I don't like grease." That was the line you've always used to tease Woohyun.  You never thought you'd be directing them at Sungjong.

"Alright, everyone ready?" Baekhyun asked. 

You nodded, still letting your bangs shield your face.  Strangely, you could tell that Sungjong was looking directly at you.  To distract you from his gaze, you flipped through the packet to scan the information.  

Breaking your concentration, a voice asked, "Who did we get?"

You replied without glancing up.  "Um, someone named Yoo Sooni."

Sungjong pondered, "Wait.  That name sounds strangely familiar..."

You remembered exactly who it was.  "Yeah, smart one," you retorted, pushing Sungjong to the side and heading out of the wing.  You didn't care if he was following or not.  You just called back, "It's the woman who tried to escape."