Studying With Namu

Yah, Lemon Candy!

Twelve years later…

You were strolling in a shady back alley with a lemon candy lollipop in your hand.  You have developed an obsession for it ever since “the incident” twelve years ago.  Hefting your heavy black canvas backpack, which was filled with five notebooks, three workbooks, and a bulging pencil bag, you made your way towards the library.  School has just ended for the day half an hour ago, and now, you were heading to the library to check out books to aid your studies.

“Hey, beautiful, wanna join me at the club tonight?” an alluring voice came unexpectedly from behind you.

Some girls may have turned around right then, whacked the ert in the head with their purse, and cried about how they almost got harassed and their new outfit ruined.

You, on the other hand, stopped in your tracks, and turned around to hug the guy.  “Woohyun oppa!” You exclaimed.

He ruffled your hair, which was now cut short into a guy’s hairstyle.  Sungjong’s mom was against it at first, but then she saw how much you started detesting your waist-length hair, and allowed you to get it cut the way you wanted.

“When are we going to the club, oppa?” you questioned innocently, as you two began walking again.

“Hmm, as soon as the moon comes up.  I’ll stop by your window and you can escape the house from there,” he replied nonchalantly.

You poked a finger forcefully against the side of his head so that he slightly stumbled to the side.  “Yah, you babo.  Just because you’ve graduated from BTS Academy doesn’t mean you can start getting yourself and others into trouble.  And besides, I know you’ve never even stepped foot inside a smoking area, how do you think you’re going to manage in a nightclub?” You teased.

Woohyun pouted a bit.  “I know I can!  It just won’t be fun without my best friend around since she’s still underage.” He glanced over at you jokingly.

You stared straight ahead and replied, “Well, in your dreams, Grease Boy, ‘cause I’m a pure, innocent girl who’s heading to the library to study."  You hefted your heavy backpack higher onto your back so that it wouldn’t weigh you down that much.

Woohyun noticed this and offered, “Haerin-ah, let me carry that for you.”  He put his hands on your backpack straps, ready to lift the intense weight off of you.

“No, it’s fine,” you protested.  You were used to him always trying to carry it for you.  At first, during the elementary and middle school years, you were still pretty weak, so you took up his offer.  Recently, you’ve been spending much more time with the Infinite guys, getting into rowdy play-fights, and actual fights, as if they were your actual older brothers.

“You really are stubborn, Haerin,” Woohyun said while still eyeing your struggling.  “Wait until you hit senior year.  Your back is going to break from all the assignments then.  But hey, that’s when my strength will be of use and I’ll help you carry them effortlessly.”

“Ewww,” you acted as if you were disgusted.  “Take your grease somewhere else, please.”

The library was getting nearer now; only one block left to go.  Almost there!  This weight is pretty manageable.  You encouraged yourself in your head that all these notes and papers in your backpack were worth it.  Hwaiting!  Then, when I graduate, I would be able to pay back all of Mrs.Lee’s efforts for taking care of me all these years. 

Sungjong’s mom had specifically told you that she was caring for you out of love and that you didn’t have to repay her with one drop of sweat.  But being the hard-headed person that you are, you would study your head off to get a good education and get accepted into a prestigious university.

“Finally!” you panted.  “We’re here.”

“Yup.  Now, give me your backpack.  I’ll find us a quiet table where you can study.” Woohyun tried again.

You scooted away from him.  “Nope!  I can do it.  FIGHTING!”  You screamed, and dashed into the building, leaving Woohyun dumbfounded.  You searched around for empty tables in the secluded study rooms, but only saw open tables in the most boisterous areas, where toddlers were running around playing tag.  Defeated, you sulked to one of those noisy tables and was just about to untangle yourself of your backpack, when someone’s hand wrapped around your wrist.

“Caught you,” Woohyun said in contentment.  “You run fast, for a girl who’s only five feet and with a backpack full of rocks.”

You crinkled your nose at the fact that he had just called you short.  He grinned widely, “Knew it would offend you.”  You whacked his arm.  “Ow!  And just when I was about to lead you to a quiet table that I reserved.”

“Jinjja?!  You’re the best of the best friend ever, Nam Woohyun!” you exclaimed as you excitedly hopped up and down.

He laughed and took your hand.  “I know,” he said.  “Let’s go.”  He weaved himself and you through the shelves holding tons of books, until you guys reached the area he reserved for you.

You looked around and noticed that you guys were in the manga/anime section, your favorite.  You rushed over to the “New Releases” section.  “Kurosuji Season 3!” You giddily held it close to you.  “I’ve been waiting forever for it to get released.”

Woohyun strode over and plucked the disc from your arms.  “I’ll keep this.  You, go study.”

“Aww,” you pouted, but knew that studies came first.  You dropped your backpack on the ground and it landed with a thud. “That backpack is going to break my back one day.”

“And I’ll be the one to carry you to the hospital,” Woohyun added.

“Sure…” you said.  “But I’m probably too obese though.” You said with a grin.  You believed that you were a bit overweight, but were never concerned with it as much as the other girls at school were.  That extra weight helped you win competitions against the Infinite members because they always ran out of breath and gave in when you sat on them.  You sat down on a wooden chair and ped your backpack, unloading all its contents.

“Aigoo, how many times do I have to say it?  You are not overweight.” Woohyun said.

“Then how come I keep beating you guys?  Or is it because you guys are weak?” you joked.

“Yah, we are strong, ok?” he tried to defend his pride.

“Yeah, whatever,” you chuckled, earning a scoff from him.  You continued, “Well, I kind of admit to that.  Except for Sungjong.  That guy is still as weak as ever.” You laughed, remembering how he was the one who struggled the most to escape you even though you didn’t even put your full body weight on him yet.

Woohyun laughed along.  “I know right?  He better build up some muscle, or pretty soon, he’s gonna get beaten by a girl.”  He glanced over at you knowingly.

You beamed widely.  “Yup!  That Lemon Candy Diva better watch out!”

Woohyun laughed and ruffled your hair.  “Focus, dude.”  He pointed to the workbook in front of you that wasn’t even open yet.  “Do you need help with anything?” He scooted his chair over to your side.

“No, I learn more when I work on it by myself.  It’s pretty self-explanatory anyways.”

Woohyun smiled encouragingly.  “Arasso.  But just a reminder, I was the school’s honor student during my senior year.”  He pretended to flip his hair fabulously.

“You think I don’t know that?  Who do you think helped you with your studies all these 12 years, huh?”

Woohyun bumped his shoulder against yours.  “Never let me take the credit, do you?”

“Nope!  If it was my doing, you better give me some credit,” you stated.

“Arasso~” he sang.

“Pabo,” you teased, and continued with your homework.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Three hours later…

“Woohyun-ah,” you called as you lightly shake his shoulder.  “Pabo~”

“Hmm?” he stirred a bit, but his head never left the table.

“Wake up,” you said.  He still didn’t get up.  After a few more tries of shaking his shoulder, you insensitively whacked the back of his head.

“Ah, apa!”  He finally sat up straight.  “I should see those whacks coming by now, after 12 years.  I’m surprised I let myself sleep that much so that you have to do that to wake me up.”  He pouted.

“Your fault~ ,” you sang, and hefted your backpack up once again.  “Kaja, it’s getting late.” You paused.  “Unless you want to walk in the dark,” you smirked.

“No way!  Meanie,” he scrambled to his feet and followed you towards the library exit.

“Seriously, still so childish, Namu,” you teased, and he pouted even more.

You guys were halfway there, until you saw a familiar scrawny figure at the check-out stand.  You glanced over at Woohyun and saw that he was thinking the same thing.  You guys split up so that each of you were standing on either side of the guy.  That person seemed to not suspect anything yet.  With a discreet nod from Woohyun, both of you guys pounced on the guy from either side.

“Aaahhhhh!” the person let out a girly high pitched scream and dropped his books.

You strode over to the person’s side and hooked a brotherly arm around his shoulders.  “Hey, Sungjong!”