Related

Yah, Lemon Candy!

 

You trudged in behind as Nana widened the door for you.  You guys reached the new patient's room at last, after a couple minutes of walking.  You dreaded every step, as it was one step away from the scene that seemed to change everything.

Your mind.  Your heart.  They both pounded uncontrollably, desperately trying to make out what had just happened no more than five minutes ago.  Does he even feel the same way?  What's he thinking of right now?

"Haerin?"

You whipped your head up at the sound of the male voice, half-expecting it to be Sungjong.  Had he followed me?  To your disappointment, it was only Baekhyun.

Growing concern at your crestfallen expression, he rushed up to you.  "Are you okay?  Why-?"

"She's fine," Nana agitatedly stated, slamming the door behind him.  He dusted his hands off on Baekhyun's jacket as he came over.  Nana sighed.  "Oh well, put everything aside.  Time to tend to the patient!"

You broke out of your daze and it was then that you noticed the middle-aged man, limply propped up on the metal chair. The white wall behind him was void of any decor and  windows, adding an empty feel to the room. However, a bright lightbulb dangled idly on a black cord falling from the ceiling. The light emanated the cascading dark circles lining the man's depressed eyes and lethargic body. 

"Come, come, children." he beckoned with little emotion.

Nana shrugged and bounded over without a thought. Baekhyun followed suit. You, on the other hand, were reluctant, afraid that he would turn mad, like how Mrs. Yoon had. 

The old man shrugged and closed his eyes. "Fine," he called out. "Suit yourself."

You noticed Nana's belittling expression and Baekhyun's confused one. For the first time, you wondered why you had agreed to follow Nana here anyway. 

"When I was twelve," the man unexpectedly began. You remained rooted to your place. "I was left in the plains after my parents took me on a safari to see gazelles."

Nana scrunched up his nose. "Why are you telling us this?"

He closed his eyes and swayed side to side. "NEVER," he aggressively growled. "Trust people who save you."

At this, you tensed. Wait, his story is a bit like mine... abandoned by his family at a young age, being rescued... but what is this part about not trusting the one who saved you? Could Sungjong...?
You inched closer. "Please continue, haraboji."

He opened his eyes and smiled while nodding. "Yes, little one. I will continue." He closed his eyes again, as if mentally visualizing the past. "The girl who had rescued me, she was wonderful." He sighed contently. "She welcomed me to all her family members, treated me to her toys, and even introduced me to her neighborhood friends." At this, he chortled. "Boy, did I wish it would last."

Nana shifted in his strangely dress. "So what happened?"

The man coughed. "I decided to jump off a cliff one day-"

"The heck?" Nana exclaimed. "If you were having so much fun, why would you-"

"Because I was enraged, you see?!" the man stomped. "Our love couldn't be like any normal love!"

Baekhyun got up from his seat to try and calm the man. "It's ok, it's ok," he spoke softly. The man began huffing heavily from the rising anger. Baekhyun soothed his back. "Take it easy, now."

The man grumbled and leaned back in his chair. "Gosh darn it, folks. Sorry about that. I got out of control."

"It's k," Nana dismissed. "Continue. Why did you try to kill yourself?"

You glanced down at your hands. Why would someone try to kill himself over one lost love? You shook your head, but for some reason, a tugging feeling grew in your chest. I've never been in love, so I probably don't understand...

The man continued, " Alright, so before I explain why I wanted to kill myself, I will go in detail on the memories before that. You see, this girl that had rescued me introduced me to all new things. Sure, I had fun before that. But she - this girl - showed me wonders I had never even thought of. Everything, every moment, with her was all so vivid. But then.... I found out." He stuttered. "S-she... was related to me."

You stared at the man as Nana heartily whacked his knee in fits of laughter. Nana exclaimed, "That's it? That's what you made you want to commit suicide?" 

"L-O-L," the old man chuckled. "Not even." He folded his arms. "I tried to suicide because I found out.... the person who rescued me... was my long-lost sister."

Your breath hitched. There was no way you and Sungjong were actually... related?