Encounter

Yah, Lemon Candy!

SUNGJONG'S POV
I was just walking along the various shops near the school, looking for my favorite candy shop. I had told Haerin to stop by Destiny Wings the other day to pick up a bag of lemon candies, since she had stolen the last one from my drawer.  However, that lazy bum just stayed home watching some variety show with Teen Top on it. Seriously, her eyes were glued to the screen at some person named C.A.P. I guess they're funny and all, but that's not an excuse for her to skip buying my lemon candies.

I finally turned the corner and saw the bright yellow sign, indicating my palace. I giddily entered the shop.

 Who wouldn't be excited to enter a candy shop?

My feet instinctively led me to where the lemon candies were located. I quickly grabbed a clear plastic bag that the store provided to hold the candy. Oh yeah, come to Papa. I rubbed my hands mischievously as I closed in to box awaiting me with lemon candy. I reached the handle and threw open the lid.

Yeah! - Wait, what?

The box was empty.

My lemon candies weren't there.

"Andwae!"

A couple people turned towards me curiously at my sudden outburst. Disappointment clouded my chest. Aww whyyyy me?

I bounded over to the noona that worked there. "Noona! Why is the box of lemon candies empty?" I wouldn't say that I whined. It was just a form of...um... a disappointed complaint.

She looked up at me apologetically. "Oh, Sungjong. Mianhae, but we just ran out of stock yesterday and the shop's a bit behind on orders. I know you usually come here for them, but unfortunately, we're out. Sorry about that."

I pouted- I mean, I frowned. "Noona! Wae?!"

She chuckled lightly. "Ah, so cute." She ruffled my hair. "Come back tomorrow. We'll be restocked by then."

I dejectedly turned towards the exit. "No! I am not going to go another day without my lemon candies! I'm going to a different shop!"

The noona laughed. "Ah, arrasso, Sungjong. Come back soon though!" She waved at me.

I scowled, but smiled afterwards to show her that I wasn't really mad. This was my favorite shop, and I surely would be visiting it often.

However,  I am not giving up on my lemon candies.

I exited the shop, making the bells jingle overhead.

Hm, where else would sell lemon candies?

I started venturing further along the shops.

"Oh!" I exclaimed. A couple stores away was a sign saying Starlight Moonlight Evening Wear.

There was a school dance coming up, and I was debating on whether or not I should go. I guess finding a date wouldn't be the problem, but I don't really need one.

I'm an independent lemon candy. I don't need any date.

I shrugged that thought aside and looked through the window of the shop, trying to see if there were any suits that would be neat, but on sale at the same time.  My budget wasn't that good.

The bells chimed overhead as I entered. Ugh, what's with all the bells in these shops? If Haerin was here, she'd probably be so annoyed by all those, like I was. We just can't stand those things.

I wish she was trapped in a room full of chiming bells. That would serve her right for not buying my lemon candies.

There was a small koi pond on the left side of the door. Haha, that's cute. I watched as the orange and white fish swam around and under the wooden bridge. They weaved in and out of the flowers and moss growing that grew around the Japanese garden statues. I smiled and turned my attention back to the reason why I was there.

I browsed through the first few racks that were closest to the entrance, but couldn't find any that looked nice. Plus, they were expensive. I guess rich people always go for the over-extravagant things.

Sighing, I headed towards the back of the store to wear the sales section hopefully was. I found a suit that was pretty decent, and the price was just enough for my budget. Without trying it on, I knew that it was my size, so I headed to the counter to pay.

On the way there, I thought I saw a familiar face out of the corner of my eye. And it wasn't a pretty one. I quickly glanced over to see who it was, but the person quickly darted away from view. Judging from the back, it looked a bit like Nana.

Just saying, I didn't memorize his features because I like him or anything. That's horrifying just to think about. I realized that it was him because he's been stalking me a lot lately, and he's the only guy who would be seen wearing a dress in public. I wonder why he ran away so quickly when I saw him in a dress. It's not like I'm going to automatically follow him or anything.

On another note, I sometimes wear dresses, I'll admit, but never in public. Heck no. The only people who've seen me in a dress are my mom, Haerin, and Infinite, when I cross-dressed to perform a girl dance. But now, I won't be caught dead in a dress. That ship has sailed since freshman year.

I ignored Nana's strange appearance and just made my way over to the counter and pay so that I could get out of there quickly.

"Annyeonghaesayo!" The girl at the cash register chirped when I set the suit on the counter. "How are you today?" she asked as she scanned the barcode.

I was still disappointed at the lemon candies incident, but just decided to put it aside and answer the girl. "I'm fine. Thanks."

She nodded politely and neatly folded the suit, placing it inside a fancy gray shopping bag. "Would you be paying in cash or card?"

"Cash," I replied. No one in my family had the time nor expense to put into a card. So we all used cash, including Haerin, since she lived with us. I took a look at the screen and handed her the correct amount.

She finished the transaction and handed me the bag. "Thank you. Come again soon!" She smiled, bowed, and left her post to attend to some other customers.

I grabbed the handles of the shopping bag and made my way towards the door.

My hand was just above the handle of the door when an unexpected figure came tumbling towards me and knocked me down. I grunted and scowled at whoever had fallen on me. It was Nana, wearing a pink strapless dress.

I shut my eyes exasperatedly and rolled my head up towards the ceiling. So much for my escape from him.

"Oppa! Oh my gosh! I am so so sorry! I didn't mean to make you fall over!" Nana said that in one long line since he was on the verge of crying.

"Yah!" I was too tired with this guy to even start. "What the heck were you doing?!"

Nana started shivering and shrank back a bit. "I was just... trying to walk in these high heels, and I guess... I'm not really used to them."

I rolled my eyes as I pushed myself off the ground. "Whatever."

It was then that I realized my shopping bag wasn't in my hand anymore. My eyes searched around in a frantic state for it. That was a hecka expensive suit that I just bought. I can't afford another one!

My eyes landed on a gray bag with its contents all spilled out. My eyes widened at where the suit was now resting.

GOSH DARN IT. Why me?!

I ran up to the scene and practically fell to me knees hysterically. There, in the middle of the koi pond, was my suit. It was sprawled out across the water, floating unattractively on the surface. I wanted to pull all my hair out, but instead, pinched a corner of the suit and slowly lifted it up. It was twice the weight it was before, damp with a mix of dirty fish water and tangled moss.

There goes my patience.

I whipped my head back and glared at Nana, who started whimpering. "You!"

Nana squeaked incoherently. "I-I'll pay you back!" He started fumbling around in the purse that he was carrying. "Aish! This is the store's purse! My money is in my purse in the dressing room. I'll be back in just a sec!"

I was starting to lose it with this guy. "Fine! Go get your wallet! I am not paying for this mess."

Nana nodded obediently and frantically ran to get his wallet.

I sighed at the mess in front of me. I didn't like the idea of having someone else pay for a mess when it partly included me. However, my mom was in a difficult situation and her job wasn't doing well. I couldn't afford to use any more money than I already was.

Nana came back a few seconds later with a wad of money. "H-how much was the suit? Any amount- even if it's really really expensive, I will pay you back!"

I looked at his face, which was hopeful for my forgiveness. I had paid 70,000 won for it. I slightly regretted the next line that came out of my mouth, but said it anyways. "It was 150,000 won."

"N-ne?" He stuttered.

I regretted what I said. A lot. But seeing this opportunity, I just took it. I repeated myself. "Yeah. 150,000 won."

Nana slowly nodded. "Oh.  I got it." He counted a few more bills in his Gucci wallet and handed me the amount. His wallet seemed to shrink more than half the size it was before. His face was really sad, as if he didn't expect the amount to be that much.

I tried to steady my shaking hands as I extended them to grab the money. I really shouldn't be doing this.  But, it's for the best...

"Yah, Lemon Candy!"

I was snapped out of my thoughts as a voice rang through the store. I didn't even have to turn my head to know who it was, even if a dress shop was the last place she could possibly be.

"Haerin," I said. "What are you doing here?"

She wasn't answering, so I turned around to see what was keeping her. Haerin was wearing a dress. With high heels.

What the...?

But what surprised me was the fact that... she actually looked good in it. It was a simple black dress that extended just past her knees and heels that seemed to extend her legs ever so slightly.

She wasn't wearing anything revealing, but how did she look so elegant in it? I always , and she admitted that she's short, but seeing her in those heels just changed the way I looked at her.

All that was interrupted with Haerin speaking up again. "Yah, Lee Sungjong. You think I don't know how much that suit of yours cost?" She crossed her arms.

I wasn't intimidated by her. Psh, we've lived together for almost ten years. But at the moment, I was panicking as to whether to own up to Nana, or lie and take the money.

I said, "How would you know? That suit was expensive." I crossed my arms to challenge her.

Haerin scoffed. "Liar."

I knew that I wouldn't be able to get out of this situation with Haerin around, but I needed that money. "Oh yeah?" I asked. "Prove it."

Haerin strode up in between Nana and me and sternly stood her ground.

"Alright," she began.  "The most obvious reason why you're lying about the price of that suit, Lemon Candy, is that you didn't have 150,000 won in the first place. I know you wouldn't have invested that much money in a suit even if that was your favorite thing in the world." She smirked. "Own up, dude."

Suddenly, Woohyun appeared from behind. "Oooh, you just got pown'd by a girl!" He slung an arm around my shoulder.

I glared at him. "Hmph."

Nana was staring at the ground. He sadly said, "Sungjong... I can't believe you tried to pry money from me like that." He didn't look at me when he said it.

I could understand why. I felt bad for doing that. But even if I did, I didn't want to actually own up to it. Especially if that person was Nana. I glanced at Woohyun and Haerin, and could see that they were hiding their laughter. I glared at them, telling them that it wasn't funny.

Aish, Nana still hasn't looked up yet. The guilt was starting to get really overwhelming, so I thought that I might as well say something to get it over with. I opened my mouth to say something, but Nana abruptly raised his head and beat me to it.

"I've decided that if you really need the money, like Haerin said, I can spare some for you. I mean, it was my fault that your suit got ruined, after all..."

I glanced quickly at Haerin and Woohyun to see if they approved, and was met with two completely different expressions. Woohyun had on a lost expression, like his usual pabo-like self. Haerin, on the other hand, had on an expression that suggested, you better make a decision fast, because I'm tired of standing here in a dress. Seriously, these two are completely useless.

I turned to Nana and mumbled, "It was 70,000 won."

Nana nodded and counted out the money. "There you go. Sorry about that, Sungjong."

I nodded without meeting his eyes. "Yeah, thanks."

"Whew, finally!" Haerin sighed triumphantly as she tore off the heels that she was wearing. "Took you long enough!"

Woohyun laughed. "Aw, Haerin. You looked so cute in that! Why'd you take them off?" He pouted.

Haerin made a face. "I am so done with all your grease, Namu. I am never wearing another dress again."

Oh, so that's why she was wearing a dress. I laughed at that.

"Lemon Candy, be quiet!" Haerin yelled.

I replied, "It's just that during the ten years I've known you, never once have you worn a dress. Even when I did."

"Mwo? You wore a dress?"

Oh. Shoot. I forgot that Nana was still there.

I pleaded the two of them to not say anything, but frickin Namu had to speak up.

"Yeah, during his middle school years. He was, mesmerized with girl group dances.  He still is, now."

All the sadness in Nana's eyes was instantly replaced with enthusiasm. "Omo! I have to see!"

Haerin laughed. "Yeah. I took a few pics of him on my phone."

I frantically waved my hand to stop her from doing anything. It didn't work, and she just smirked.

She continued. "But my phone's in my backpack, which is in the dressing room. I'll show you when I finish changing back." She started walking away, but Woohyun called her back.

"Yah, what's the rush?" he said.  "I want to keep seeing you look beautiful in that dress."

Nana piped in.  "Yeah, Haerin.  You don't have to change out so soon.  You look so pretty in that dress.  I'm jealous," Nana gushed.

Haerin didn't blush, like a normal girl usually would.  Instead, she just scowled at the compliments.  "I hate being called girly."

Nana ran up and pinched her cheeks.  "Kyeopta!~"

Haerin backed away disgustedly.  "What's making you act so nice to me all of a sudden?"

Nana stopped pinching her cheeks and calmly said, "Thanks.  For saving me half of my wallet."

Haerin scoffed.

"Yah!" I cried.  "Don't remind him!"

The two of them laughed as I pouted.

Haerin hooked a friendly arm around Nana's shoulders and smirked at me.  "Anything to get back at Lemon Candy."

Instead of feeling offended, I just stared at her and bursted out laughing hysterically.

"What's so funny?" Haerin asked.

I couldn't contain my laughter enough to explain.  I managed out, "Y-you have... Ahahaha!"

"Frickin Sungjong, just answer me!" She started to scowl.

Finally, I gathered myself up and explained, "It seems like someone here doesn't shave."

"Mwo?!" Haerin exclaimed.

Her sleeveless dress exposed her underarms when she hooked her arm around Nana.

Woohyun and Nana tried to take a look for themselves, but Haerin had already closed her arms completely.  However, hearing that was already enough to make the two of them burst out laughing.

Standing there was a red-faced Haerin.  "S-so what if I don't shave?  I always wear t-shirts, so I don't have to.  Dang you, Namu, for making me wear this!"  And with that, she sprinted away towards the dressing room.

I stood there and chuckled to myself.  I admit, she did look nice.