Inconvenient Truth

Yah, Lemon Candy!

Soon, a cloud of gray smoke trailed through the door of the dressing room.  

"Oh my gosh, this must be one large fire," you panicked.  You searched around and spotted your forest green t-shirt.  "This'll have to suffice."  You quickly grabbed it and threw it over your head.  By then, the smoke had flooded the top portion of the dressing room, making you cough and your eyes water.  You weren't fast enough to put on shorts, since the smoke had now blanketed the entire room.  You were getting light-headed and were now swaying from the daze.

Rapid knocks on the door snapped you up.  "Haerin!  Are you in there?!"  You couldn't respond, since the thickness of the fog clogged in your throat and hindered your speech.  "Why are you still in there?  Everyone's outside!  Can you hear me?!"  You still couldn't respond.  The smoke was way too thick.  "I'm coming in!"

You could tell that it was Sungjong.  You wanted to protest, but the words couldn't leave your mouth.  If anyone saw you in this red dress, you would be traumatized for life.  Your mind was in a state of confusion, but of course, you found it ridiculous how that was the only thought you had when you were trapped in a constricted, smoke filled space.

The door was locked from the outside, but there was a space underneath that had no panel.  People could easily slide in and out of that area.  And surely, that was how Sungjong got in.  Once he entered, he saw how you were backed up against a wall, coughing uncontrollably.  “What are you doing?”  When he saw that you couldn’t respond, he just tugged on your arm.  “Let’s get out of here!”  He turned the knob and the door unlocked, swinging open.  You struggled to get your legs to work, but you just fell limp on the floor.  “Dude, get up!”  Sungjong bent down and slid both his hands under your back.  “I can’t believe I have to carry a pig like you.”

Despite the smog, you cracked out, “Yah.  I am not -” but your coughing fit just worsened. 

Sungjong strained to heft you up because of his weak muscles.  “Don’t talk,” he ordered.  “The smoke will come into you.  You shut your mouth and tried not to move so much.  Finally, by some strange phenomenon, he got it.  Lemon Candy was now carrying you bridal style out of the shop.  

Emerging into the clear air of the street, you immediately felt better.  Your breathing was still ragged, however, and your eyes were still watering from the smog.  The rest of the customers and staff were all gathered at the entrance.  You couldn’t tell where Baekhyun was, but at the moment, you didn’t pay attention.  You were too immersed by the fact that Lemon Candy was able to properly carry, let alone, lift you.

Sungjong searched for some place to set you down, and settled for a bench across the street.  He bent down so that he could gently set you so that you were laying with your legs propped up on it.

Your breathing came a bit steadier now, and Sungjong sat on the ground at the base of the bench as he felt a wave of relief wash over him.  “Gosh, Haerin!  What the heck were you doing in there?  Everyone was already outside!”

You coughed up a bit more before answering.  “I thought that you were going to take long on picking another suit, so I got bored.  I guess I was trapped in there because I got so dizzy from all the smoke.”  You explained while mindlessly picking at the sparkles on the dress.  At least the top part was covered by your t-shirt.  The bottom, however, was so short that it was now riding up your thighs.  You swung your legs off the bench so fast that you whacked Lemon Candy on the head.

“Ow!” he howled as he held the injured spot.

You cringed.  Oops.

Sungjong glared at the obstacle that just hit him, and noticed your leg.  “What the...?”  His eyes trailed and reached the hem of the dress. 

Your face flushed.  Shoot, he noticed the dress.  You tried to avoid his eyes by looking elsewhere.  But that was when you noticed that he was wearing one of the suits that he was trying on.  “Hey,” you said.  “You were in the dressing room as well.”  You chuckled at how the price tag was hanging lopsidedly out of his sleeve.

Sungjong cleared his throat.  “Well you sure are cheerful for someone who almost died in a fire.”  

You stuck out a tongue at him.  “Whatever.”

He softened up, but didn’t laugh along.  Then he asked, “Why are you wearing that?” He looked into the distance.  “It’s way too short.”

You could hear a tint of stiffness in his voice, as if wearing this was the worst thing you could have ever done.  It confused you, but you didn’t want him to know.  “Oh, haha, yeah,” you awkwardly said.  “I was just-”

You were interrupted by a crowd of people flooding across the street in your guys’ direction.  They all crowded around the bench, especially the frightened ahjummas.  

“Omo!  Are you alright?”

“Poor girl!  Look at her.  She was coughing on the way out.”

Then, another group of people wafted over.  This time, it mainly consisted of males.

“Wuu!” they whistled.  You whipped your head up in confusion.  

“Nice legs you’ve got there!”

The ahjummas turned around and hit the group of males on the head.  “Show the young lady some repect!”

You ducked your head in embarrassment and used your hands to cover your ears.  I never should’ve worn this, you thought as tears pricked your vision.  Even if it was for fun, I’m so stupid!  Why did I even pick this up?!  You were frustrated with youself and wanted to lock yourself up where noone could find you.  The tears were now beginning to slide down your face.  Ugh, what’s wrong with me?  I’m usually stronger than this.  I’m so stupid!  Pabo!  Pab-

You felt something drape on your knee.  A blazer was covering your thighs and legs.  You glanced up and saw that Sungjong was standing before you without his blazer, and shielding everyone’s vision from you with his arms widespread.  You were shocked at what he had just done.  Usually, he would always try to get people to tease you.  But today, why was he being so nice?

He stood there for a few moments, waiting for the crowd to disperse.  The ahjummas gushed at his sweet action.  The few males tried to get some more peeks in, but Sungjong’s body was rigid, blocking them away.

You were about to open your mouth to thank him, but he cut you off.  “We’re done with shopping for today.”  He grabbed your wrist and pulled you up harshly, making the blazer fall to the ground.  “Let’s go change back and leave here for good.”

A lot of things were amazing you that day.  Where did Sungjong get this whole different personality?  

“Haerin!”  Baekhyun was jogging towards you guys with a concerned expression on his face.  “I’m so sorry I couldn’t help!  The last time I saw you, I was helping you get measured and pick out a dress.  Are you ok now?”

Before you could answer, Sungjong marched up to Baekhyun and pushed him with much harder force than you expected.  “So you’re the one who made her wear that?”

Baekhyun, stunned, broke away from his concern and took a look at you.  He hadn’t noticed that you were wearing that.  He pushed Sungjong back.  “What have you got to accuse me of that?”

You were afraid of what would be the outcome if they really did fight.  Sure, Sungjong had portrayed a whole different side to himself, but was that enough to take down a gang leader?  “You guys, stop it!”  They turned to stare at you.  You clenched your fists and waited for them to break apart.  They finally backed away from each other, and you let out the breath that you had been holding.  “Lemon Candy, let’s go,” you mumbled.  You noticed that the blazer was still sprawled on the ground, and bent down to pick it up, just to be stopped by an uneasy Sungjong.  You raised an eyebrow at his strange action.

Lemon Candy’s bangs shielded his eyes, but his voice was still audible when he picked it up for you instead.  “Be careful when you bend down,” he demanded.  “We can see everything underneath.”  Your mouth dropped as you stammered incoherently.  Sungjong just threw the blazer into Baekhyun’s arms.  “Since the store’s burnt, we can’t really go back.”  He nudged your shoulder to indicate that you guys should start heading home now.  You agreed wordlessly, and while walking back, Sungjong said over his shoulder, “We’ll return these clothes once we change back at home.  Don’t worry, Baek.  We won’t be wearing these anymore.”

You had the feeling that he was directing that at you.  He didn’t want you to wear this revealing dress any longer.  You smiled and didn’t object.    

 (c) to Infinite's Inconvenient Truth mv and lyrics. ;)