Patient Escape

Yah, Lemon Candy!

"I don't wanna go in anymore!" You and Sungjong had to hold onto a whimpering Namu.  "I'm scared!  Why'd I even sign up for this?  I'm afraid of working with crazy people!" he cried.

It was nine am, Saturday morning, and the three of you were standing in front of Comatose Mental Hospital.  You held a tight grip on Woohyun's arm so that he wouldn't be able to escape.  "Yah, don't chicken out!" you ordered.  He still didn't give in and squirmed even more.

Lemon Candy grasped Woohyun's other arm.  "Hey, you're the one who signed us up in the first place!"

"B-but!"

"Namu!" you and Sungjong exclaimed together.

Woohyun broke out of his nervous breakdown and reluctantly regained his posture.  "Fine," he pouted and sulked towards the glass entrance.  "But if I get hurt, it's on you guys."

You rolled your eyes.  "Just saying, Namu, we're just as scared as you."

Sungjong chimed in.  "Yeah, who wouldn't be?  This is a house for the insane that we're heading into."

With one last whimper, Woohyun pushed the door in.  You guys followed him and tried hard not to laugh at his shaking.  Upon entering, you guys were faced with another set of glass doors.  You raised an eyebrow and exchanged confused expressions with Sungjong.

Woohyun raised one hand to indicate that we had to stop.  "We have to pass security," he explained, gesturing to a pad on the wall.  He walked up to it and pressed a fingerprint against the screen.

"Ooh, fancy," you joked in the back with Sungjong.  But when you tuned to see his reaction, you noticed that his body was rigid.  He meekly laughed along with your joke.  Guess the fear has sunken into him.  You raised an eyebrow.  "Lemon Candy... you're scared, aren't you?" you accused with a smirk.

Sungjong quickly scoffed.  "Psh.  Course not."

"Uh-huh," you hummed, crossing your arms.  "Still don't believe you."

"Yah!  I'm not afraid!"

You stifled a laugh as Woohyun exclaimed, "Kay, I got the pass code in.  We can enter now." You followed him with a fuming Lemon Candy. 

The three of you were just about to step through the second set of glass doors when a frantic old woman suddenly burst through you guys.  "Freedom!  Yes!  I'm free!" The woman victoriously pumped her fists in the air as she rapidly lobbed out the exit. 

"Stop her!" You heard a female nurse shout as a crowd of staff chased after the woman. "Patient escaping!"

You guys exchanged shocked expressions with each other, all three mouths gaping open.  You all stood frozen in place, not sure what to do.  A minute later, the group of staff emerged through the door, and in the center was the mad woman.  "We've got her.  Don't worry," the nurse reassured.

The lobby of the mental hospital thundered with claps from the various people who had witnesses the scene.  You were debating whether to clap or stay confused, when Namu, all of a sudden, began clapping as well.  You shot him a strange look, but then broke into a smile and clapped along nonetheless.

The woman that was trying to escape mumbled to herself, avoiding eye contact with any passerby as she she stomped emphatically into a corridor.  She was escorted by two security guards clad in black.  The two men seemed to be equipped with tasers.  You cringed at the fact that those tasers may have to be put into use once in a while.

The nurse then walked up to the three of you.  "Hello.  Welcome to Comatose," she greeted, bowing in respect.  You guys instinctively returned the gesture and smiled.  She continued, "We apologize for that sudden incident." She scratched her head.  "It's just that Sooni has been admitted here for about 25 years.  And, as you can probably tell," the nurse lowered her voice an octave.  "She doesn't have much time left."

You remembered the old woman, with her bedraggled appearance and wrinkly skin, trying to escape.  Although you usually kept a tough exterior, this news penetrated you.  You dared to speak.  "So... this probably isn't her first attempt...is it?"

The nurse's lips pinched into a straight line.  "I'm afraid not.  This is her seventh attempt since a couple years ago." She sighed.  "Well, I guess I don't blame her.  An isolated life isn't exactly desirable for most people."

You three nodded understandingly.  Woohyun then took the initiative to ask, "Is there any place we're to go to sign in?  We're volunteers here."

Despite the tense atmosphere, you and Sungjong snapped up.  "Did you just say volunteers?!"

Woohyun apologetically smiled.  "Yeah.  Sorry, guys.  We're volunteers."

Sungjong scoffed.  "Are you frickin kidding me right now?  Does this mean we're not getting paid?"
You joined him in staring Namu down.

Unraveled, Woohyun turned back to the young nurse with a greasy smile, expecting an answer from her.

Laughing softly, she scanned the clipboard that she was holding.  "Um, are you Nam Woohyun?"

"That would be me," he responded with his signature smile.  You and Sungjong clung onto each other in mock disgust.  

"Alright," she proclaimed.  "Then follow me.  I'll need you to sign some forms." 

"Yes, my lady." Woohyun walked behind her and gestured for you guys to follow.  Boy is he good.

You scoffed quietly and walked beside Sungjong.  The nurse led you guys down an elongated corridor.  "I can't believe Namu tricked us into volunteering," you muttered.  After a couple moments, you've already found Namu casually making conversation and skinship with her.  Rolling your eyes, you faced Sungjong to see if he had noticed as well.  However, you saw a petrified-looking Lemon Candy.  You chuckled, causing him to glance at you skeptically. You asked, "What happened to the tough Lemon Candy that was my bodyguard yesterday?" 

Sungjong's expression contorted into a confused one. "What bodyguard?" he asked.

You were suddenly stunned.  Wait.  Did he really not remember anything that took place yesterday?  You quickly broke eye contact from him.  You felt dumb for expecting him to remember some random event, even though it stained your mind like a blissful memory.  After all, you guys have spent ten years together.  One day wasn't going to change anything... "Never mind," you sighed, facing the front again.  "Forget it.  Um, so, uh, why do you seem so nervous?"

He cleared his throat.  "I'm not nervous."

"Liar!"

"What?  I am not!" 

"Yes, you are."

"No, I'm just-"

"I'm required to have volunteers sign these forms before they can begin their jobs." 

You saw Woohyun nodding and signing something.  Soon, he pushed two forms over to you guys.  You scanned the page over carefully.  Amidst a sentence in the third paragraph of the consent form, you felt a nudge.  "Nobody actually reads those things," Woohyun elaborated as he turned in his signed form.  

You retorted, "Well then.  Don't blame me when the mental hospital requires you to wash the toilets or something." You quickly skimmed over the rest of the information before signing and handing it in. 

The nurse smiled as she collected all the forms.  "Thank you.  Now, in a couple minutes, all of today's volunteers will be meeting in Wing 32.  If you guys start heading over now, you'll be just in time."

Woohyun smiled, and the three of you bowed in respect before heading in the direction she told you guys.  Walking briskly, Woohyun announced, "You're welcome."

You scrunched up your face.  "For what?!  You tricked us into volunteering!"

"Mehrong~," he sang, and linked arms with you.  "Oh, Haerin.  Who do you want to get paired up with if we're allowed to have partners?"

"Hm." You debated on whether you wanted to have some time with your best friend, or the guy that you loved to make fun of.  "I don't know... What do you think, Lemon Candy?  You haven't been talking for a while."

You guys turned a corner and saw an overhead sign indicating Wing 32.  He answered, "I'm fine with any-"

"Omo, omo, omo!  Sungjong opppppaaa!"

Lemon Candy's eyes practically popped out of their sockets as he encountered the person that had just called out his name.  "No, no," he warned, backing away.  "Stay away from me."

You and Woohyun turned to inspect the scene, and you guys looked at each other knowingly.  Nana.