Abandoned

Yah, Lemon Candy!

You don't remember why you ended up in Seoul.  All you know is that every one of your family members abandoned you when you were quite young, around the age of 5.  You remember the last moment you spent with your parents.

You had no idea that was the last time you would be sitting next to them on that agonizingly long car ride.  To past the time, you fiddled with your stuffed toys, but soon grew tired of it.  You wondered where your family was heading for it to take up 6 hours.  You were dying to get out of the car. But once you guys finally reached the destination, you were completely terrified.  There was no pathway ahead.  Is this a dead end?  You were the first one out of the car, so you looked back at your parents for clarification.  But what met your eyes was your mom scrambling to pull the passenger's door shut.

"Eomma!" You screamed.  Weren't mom and dad supposed to join me here? You've never been on your own before.  The car engine began to roar again, and this time, you screamed louder, "EOMMA!"  Your parents' car began to pull away.  What is this? "EOMMA!  APPA!" you cried, pounding on the window.  "Don't leave me here!  Where are you going?!"  You tried running after them, but your five year old legs could only take you so far.  You panted heavily as tears slid down nonstop and saltiness flooded your mouth.  They were gone.

"YAH!!  WHY WOULD YOU LEAVE A LITTLE GIRL HERE ALL BY HERSELF?!  WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE YOU?"

You looked up to see a little boy about your age standing there yelling with his fists clenched tightly.  "W-who are you?"

"Aish, I'm Lee Sungjong.  But who are you?  Why the heck are you here all by yourself?" he replied, clearly still angry at the people who drove away.

"Hae-rin," you said in between cries.  "I don't know why they left me here."

"WHAT KIND OF PARENTS WOULD DO THAT?!" he shouted.

You continued bawling pathetically on the ground.

Sungjong then stooped down into a crouching position so that he was the same level as you.  "Then, um.." he scratched his head before continuing, "Do you have anywhere to stay?"

You didn't even have to think about the answer before shaking your head 'no'.  Your parents never told you anything about what their intentions were for dropping you off here.

Sungjong sighed, "Yeah, thought so."  He glanced your way.  For some reason, he cringed a bit before saying. "You wanna, like, stay with my family?"

Astounded, you looked back at him.  "Really?"

"Only if you really need it, though.  My family owns a really small house, so it barely fits all of us.  But since you seem lost, let's go." He stood up and began leading the way.  "My mom is going to hate me for bringing this girl home," he muttered under his breath.

"W-wait up!" you scrambled to your feet.  Is this really happening to me?  First, my parents desert me in the middle of nowhere.  And now, a boy that clearly despises me is the only person I can depend on.

Way to ruin my life.

You literally didn’t have any possessions on you other than the outfit you were wearing, which was a ruffly rose dress and matching pink flats.  Sungjong had led you to a house that was way smaller than you had expected, even though he had warned you beforehand of its size.  Your tears still haven’t dried up despite the walk that seemed like 15 minutes.

Sungjong stopped in front of the door.  “Ok, when you come in, be sure to act properly.  I’m not even sure if I’m allowed to bring a stranger home like this.”  He eyed you up and down.  “Especially someone who looks as desperate as you.”

“EXCUSE ME?  Like I want to stay with someone who hasn’t said anything besides insult me during the whole walk here,” you retorted.

“Fine!  Go get lost in the forest for all I care!” he turned the knob to the house and entered.  But being the stubborn person that you were, you just slipped in right after him.  “YAH!  You’re not leaving?”

“Pshh, I have no where to go besides this place, and I’m all alone, do you really think you can get rid of me that easily?” you scoffed.

Sungjong muttered under his breath as he removed his shoes by the door.  You followed his example and did the same.  “Oh, by the way, don’t freak out if someone asks you why you’re here.  I’m pretty sure that your sappy sad story will make them believe you.”

The sadness you felt subsided and a faint feeling of anger boiled up inside of you.  “Bwo?  What do you mean by ‘sappy sad story’?” you whacked the back of his head.

“Ow!  Just telling the truth!  And just so you know, I’m six, and I-“ he was cut off by a woman entering the room from the side.

“Omo!” she exclaimed when she saw your tear-stained face.  “What happened here?”  She rushed over to you.

Sungjong shrank back a bit, making him look as if he was afraid that he would get in trouble for bringing you home.  He finally explained, “This is someone I just saw.  It seems like she got abandoned by her parents at the dead end near the river.”

“Omo!” the woman said again, but softer this time.  You did as you were taught and respectfully bowed 90 degrees.  “You poor girl.  Who in their right mind would abandon such a young and innocent child like this?”  She pulled you close to her and gently rubbed your back.  “Do you have anyone who you know lives around here?  Or any contact at all with any of your relatives?” she asked with concern.

You shook your head and she sighed.  “Poor girl,” she said, and held you at arm’s length to examine your face.  She caressed your cheek and said, “So pretty, too.  What kind of parents are they?”

At the mention of your parents, you broke into tears again, causing the ahjumma to panic and hold you tighter.  “Oh, honey, I’m sorry!  I didn’t mean to bring back those painful memories.” She continued patting your back.  “Don’t cry.  We’ll take care of you from now on.  I’m Sungjong’s mom, by the way,”  She gave you a smile, which you found beautiful.  It was much different from the expression your mom had when you left the car, which was of pure hatred.  Was that hatred towards me? You wondered.

 After a few seconds, Sungjong’s mom turned to him.  “She seems really tired, Sungjong.  Take her to your room and let her play with your toys or something.  I’ll bring you guys some porridge in a few minutes.”

Sungjong was clearly annoyed, and replied, “But eomma!  I don’t want to play with a girl, especially a crying one!”

She snapped her fingers and put on a stern face at Sungjong.  “Don’t you have a heart, sweetie?  The poor girl has no where to stay.  Help her for the time being, and I’ll reward you.”

Sungjong’s face lit up instantly.  Greedy, selfish brat.  You thought.

“Fine, let’s go,” he said as he led the way.

“Kamsahamnida!” you bowed to her as you started to follow behind him obediently.

She smiled, “Have fun you two!”

You saw her turn into the kitchen.  Not paying attention, you unconsciously bumped into Sungjong’s back.  “Why’d you stop?”

“YAH!” he screamed.  Here we go again.   “You should be the one paying attention to where you’re going!”

You were getting really tired of his annoying whining, even though he had given you a place to stay.  “Ok, ok!  I get it!” you said sarcastically.

“Don’t use that tone with me!” he yelled back.

“Whatever you say, diva,” you replied calmly.

“WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME?!”

“A diva.”

“WHY I OUGHTA-“

“Sungjong, stop yelling at the poor girl and invite her to play with you,” his mom scolded from the kitchen.

“Haha,” You said to him.

Sungjong mumbled under his breath and forcefully threw back the door against its frame.  He stomped inside and sat on his bed, not even considering to invite you in.  You didn’t care and entered anyways.

“Mehrong!” you teased by sticking out your tongue.

“Yeah yeah, whatever,” he said.  “My mom wanted me to let you play with my toys, so what do you want?” he said as he began searching for things to entertain you with.

“Just leave me alone,” you said, and just sat on the ground.  You took in your surroundings and saw how disheveled his house was.  The walls had peeling paint and the carpet was stained with an assortment of colors, probably from dropped food.  Your thoughts unknowingly led you to remember your own house, which was at least two times larger and more elegant than this.  Then you started thinking about how you were never going to get the chance to see it again, since your parents have dropped you here in the middle of no where.  That seriously just happened 30 minutes ago.  I lost my life approximately 30 minutes ago.  Soon, tears threatened to fall for the third time that day.

“Uh, I don’t really know what five year old girls play with, so, - woah, are you crying again?  Dang, girls hold a lot of tears.”

“Leave me alone,” you said, your voice barely audible.  Sungjong looked at you and hopped back on his bed.  He seemed more than happy to leave you alone.

After a few seconds, you couldn’t hold it in anymore and just let it all out.  How your parents abandoned you and didn’t even seem the least bit regretful.  How you had no idea what you were going to do anymore.  And the fact that you were going to be housing with this insensitive diva for who knows how long.

Sungjong heard your sobs and became irritated.  “Aish, jinjja!”  You heard him rummage around his drawer for something.  You then felt something land expertly in your hands.  You looked down and saw that it was a wrapped lemon candy.  “Eat it and shush up!  And you better enjoy it, cuz I don’t give out my lemon candies to just anyone.”

You unwrapped it and popped it in your mouth.  You were shocked at how sour it was, but then relaxed when the sweetness wrapped around your mouth.  You temporarily stopped crying, and scrunched up into a ball on the ground.  Soon, you fell asleep, with the lemon candy’s comforting taste still remaining in your mouth.

 

A/N: Hey readers! ^_^ The first chapter is up.  Sorry if it seems boring right now, but they're only five and six year olds at the moment, so what do you expect? LOL.  Expect more progress in the next few chapters when they grow up! Haha.

In the middle of writing this chapter, Infinite was live on Line.  OMG.  I had to stop and spazz for a bit.  But then they had Internet connection issues, and it became disconnected. T^T  So sad....