Namu's New Job

Yah, Lemon Candy!

You accidentally whacked Namu in the head from flailing around too much.

"Gah!  Haerin, you're squirming too much!  Just stay still and your dress will come right off.  You're making this difficult for the both of us!"

"Well I can't help it!  It's, like, stuck!"

Just then, Sungjong entered the room.  "Whoa..." he calmly said.  "Sorry to interrupt you guys at a moment like this." He his heels and walked back nonchalantly into the hallway.

You and Woohyun exchanged stunned expressions.  Did Lemon Candy think you guys were....?  Oh my gosh, No!

Immediately, you guys shoved each other aside, fighting to get through the doorframe first.  "Lemon Candy!" both of you screamed.  You frantically darted around the house in search of him.  Finally, your eyes set on a guy wearing a plain yellow tee, laying casually on  the living room sofa and fiddling with his phone.  You stomped up to him.

Sungjong glanced at you guys with a smirk on his face.  "You guys done with your fun?"

You set both hands on your hips, ready to retort, but Woohyun beat you to it.  "Yah, Lemon Candy," he began.  You smirked back at Sungjong, knowing that Namu had your back. He continued, "Don't think that Haerin's too innocent to do those things."

Your jaw dropped.  "What?!"  Namu smiled at you innocently, earning a thwack in the head from you.

He plopped onto the sofa beside Sungjong and pulled you into his lap, wrapping both arms around your waist.  "Aw, Haerin, wasn't that what we were doing?" Woohyun nuzzled his face into your back.

You tried to wriggle out of his hold, but to no avail.  You just gave up and leaned back into him.  However, you got your sweet revenge by pushing all your weight onto him so he could feel the pain, smirking in victory as a let out a yelp.

Sungjong rolled his eyes and tucked his phone into his pocket.  "Again, I'll leave you guys to your business."

You suddenly felt the need to do something.  "Lemon Candy!" you exclaimed just as he started to walk away.

He turned back to face you.  "Hm?"

"I," you began, stuttering a bit. You wanted to thank him for saving you from humiliation.  However, you had never thanked Lemon Candy in your life.  Never.  Not even when he had saved you ten years ago.  "I-I," you tried again.

Sungjong dismissed it with a wave of his hand.  "No need to thank me for leaving you guys alone.  You guys already act like a married couple." He started walking again.

"W-wait!" You sprang off of Woohyun's lap faster than the guy could even react, and grabbed Sungjong's arm.  He stopped in his tracks.  You took that opportunity and just said it.  "Thanks... for saving me."

He scoffed and just ruffled your hair.  "Anything for my little sister."

You smiled back gratefully, but you felt a pang in your chest.  Sister...?
------
SUNGJONG'S POV

"Anything for my little sister," I said, tousling her hair.  Wait what?  Did I just call her my sister?  What?  Why?  I retracted my hand from her tiny head and returned it to my side, rushing to my room.  When I was there, I flopped backwards onto the bed, making sure that Haerin hadn't followed.  Ugh, what was wrong with me?  I was acting so strange.

I thought back to that afternoon.  First of all, today she suddenly decided to wear dresses.  And not any dress.  A tight, red, strapless dress.  I shook my head vigorously to rid those images from my mind.  But what I was still wondering perplexed me even more.  What had come over me today?


Was it because of how vulnerable she looked in that dress?  I ran a hand through my hair.   When people started noticing her like that, I got...protective of her.  I've always been one to and humiliate her because I've always viewed her as a "younger sister".  So why did I regret it as soon as those words left my mouth?

Suddenly, I just realized that... I didn't want anyone to see her like that.  Woohyun and I have been the only ones to be that close to her all these ten years.  I didn't want anyone else to have that privilege.

Wait.  Did I just call that a privilege?  I banged my head against my pillow.  Jinjja, what am I thinking?
----
HAERIN/YOUR POV

Dazed, you plopped back onto the couch next to Woohyun.  Sister?  That word still rang through your mind.  Why did it irk you so much?

Woohyun jumped in front of you, shaking his palms in your face.  "Earth to Haerin," he chuckled.

You snapped back to your senses and cracked a smile.  "Oh, haha," you rubbed the back of your neck.  "Yeah, I'm listening."

Woohyun beamed and tugged your arm.  "Come on, let's start on our second attempt in removing that dress off of you."

You suddenly realized that you were still wearing the dreaded dress.  It had totally slipped your mind when you were talking with Sungjong.  "Oh," you responded.  "I think...I can get out of it by myself."

Woohyun scoffed, "Well it doesn't seem like it.  You had to call me over here just to help you.  And look!  You're not even out of it yet!"

You sighed.  "Well, it's fine.  Wouldn't want Lemon Candy to misunderstand again."

"Are you sure, Rinnie?" Woohyun said slyly.  "You know...you look amazing in that."

"Yah!  Don't look at me like that!" You covered your face in embarrassment, still regretting your stupid decision of trying on that dress.  Not taking another glance at him, you dashed into your bedroom.  However, you completely forgot, and met another situation.  Time to face Lemon Candy.

Upon entering the shared bedroom, you found Sungjong sprawled on his bed, his hand strangely clutching the left side of his chest.  What's going on?  You curiously crept up next to him, inspecting if he was alright.  Does he have heart problems?! You panicked. Hearing even breaths, you concluded that he was asleep. Whew.  He's fine.  For a moment, I thought he was gonna die or something.  You turned your back towards him.  Now I can change in privacy.

You lightly tiptoed over to your bed, where a new pair of basketball shorts and a loose tank top were calling to you.  More than anything, you wanted to rip off this thing that was clinging to your body.  You  reached a hand cautiously behind your back, grasping blindly for the zipper, hook, or whatever the heck was making this thing such a pain to get off.  Ugh, stupid...

All of a sudden, you heard the sound of a zip as the dress slightly loosened up.  What the-? You abruptly whipped around to see what was happening.  Surprisingly, your eyes met with Sungjong, whose fingers were nimbly tugging at the zipper.

"Hold still," he ordered in a calm voice.  His eyes were locked in concentration on the red zipper.  You couldn't see what he was doing, since it was on your back, but you knew you could trust him.  "The zipper's stuck," Sungjong explained.  You didn't respond, and just allowed him to continue. Unbeknownst to him, however, you gulped down the trepidation forming in your throat.

Meticulously, Sungjong worked away at the jammed zipper.  You felt his fingers lightly brush against your skin, and you tried your best not to shiver.  What is wrong with me?  Kim Haerin!  You do not feel this way towards any guy.  Stop those thoughts of yours!  You mentally reprimanded yourself.

"There," Sungjong proclaimed as he successfully un lodged the zipper.  You couldn't help but feel a bit despondent when he stepped back.  Sungjong returned to his bed and laid down on his back again.

You uttered a small thanks, but he still caught it despite the inaudible sound.  You then turned your back towards him in order to finally slip out of the dress. Sighing triumphantly, you threw on your versatile outfit.  "Ahh~ This is so much more comfortable," you exclaimed as you hopped onto your bed.  If only Sungjong had been with me earlier- Haerin!  Stop thinking about that!

"Hey, Haerin.  Do you think we can afford going to the dance?"

You turned so that you were facing him.  You asked, "What...do you mean?" You were a bit lost.  "Don't we have enough money for the ticket already?  And the tux... Didn't Nana give you back the money?"

Sungjong ran a hand through his bangs.  "Well," he began, his tone exasperated.  "I was recalculating everything...and I just realized.  Dude, our family can't afford all that." He stared at you with sorrowful eyes.

You took a moment to process his words.  "Oh yeah..." Sungjong's family, even before the time they started raising you, was in a financial crisis.  You knew that they could barely afford your guys' education, so you had always kept that in mind to propel you forward in school.  You decided to ask, "So what do you mean by not affording all this?  What's 'this'?"

Sungjong stared at the ground.  "Well, you know...I kind of want both of us to go to the dance.  Together."

B-bump.  There goes your heartbeat.

He continued, "But after all that calculation, we barely have money for one of us to go." He concluded.

Pang.  A rock sank in your chest.  "O-oh." You halfheartedly chuckled.  "Is that so?" He nodded dismally.  Before today, you had affirmatively stomped down any offer for you to go to the dance.  So why was it now that you suddenly wanted to go?

"Haerin, you know I'm not going without you, right?" You looked up at Lemon Candy with a surprised expression, earning a chuckle from him.  "What?  Don't look so surprised.  Didn't I tell you that it's because Myungyeol always abandons me?" He smirked.

You tried to regain yourself.  "Psh, of course I knew that!" You waved your hands like you totally remembered that piece of information.

Sungjong laughed.  "Yeah, of course you did," he said sarcastically.

Just then, Woohyun barged into the room.  "Anyone missed me?" he boasted.  Neither of you guys replied, causing a rejected Woohyun to start pouting.  He rushed over to you and engulfed you in a huge bear hug, making you crash down into your mattress.

"Yah, Namu!" you playfully smacked his head, like the 173738262211 times you usually would whenever he tried his grease.  But now, you heard Lemon Candy scoff, so you peeked over to see why.

"Aish, do I really have to be the one to move?  Every time I get comfortable, you guys start flirting with each other," Lemon Candy accused, rolling his eyes.

Woohyun pretended to ignore the guy and just continued cradling you in his arms.  You were about to push him away again, but Woohyun's face lit up.  "I have amazing news!"

You cocked an eyebrow and waited patiently for his answer.

Sungjong, on the other hand, just teased, "What is it now?  You guys are officially getting married?"

You lightly pushed Namu away from you, but he snuggled closer and shook his head.  "As much as I wish that was the case, nope." His eyes crinkled up, indicating that this was going to be some good news.  "I got a job!" He beamed satisfactorily.

You and Sungjong didn't even have to take the time to process his words before simultaneously announcing, "About time!" You guys stared at each other and bursted out laughing.

"Yah, stop laughing!  I'm serious!" Woohyun pouted.

"Fine.  Fine," you said, the laughter dying down.  "So, what job is it?"

He paused a bit before answering.  "It's...at a mental hospital."

"A what?!" You and Sungjong exclaimed.  You guys exchanged worried glances.  As if transmitting unspoken thoughts, you nodded in understanding with Sungjong.  You explained, "Look, Namu... You know... your personality is the really upbeat and...aegyo-like person." You glanced at Sungjong and saw that he agreed with your words.  You continued, "So, I don't think you'd fit in working at a place like that."

Woohyun nodded as if he had already planned everything out.  "I know, you pabos. But you know how we need the extra money..."

You glanced at Sungjong and nodded.  "Yeah, I guess." Then you thought of something.  "Oh, Namu."

"Hm?"

You bit on your bottom lip.  "Do you think there are any more available spots at the hospital?"

Sungjong perked up at your inquiry.  "Haerin...you can't possibly think of joining.  It's too dangerous for you."

You put on a reassuring smile.  "I'll be fine!" You returned to Namu.  "So is there any more space?"

"Hmm, I'm pretty sure that if I use my grease on a few of the noona workers there, I could probably pull a few strings."

"Really?!" Your entire face lit up and you threw your arms around Woohyun.  "Thank you, Namu!  I knew you could do it!"

He chuckled.  "Anything for my Rinnie."

From the side, Sungjong cleared his throat.  "Ahem." You guys broke from the hug, but you couldn't help the smile that was still plastered on your face.  Finally, this was your chance to help repay Sungjong's family for everything they've done for you all these years.

"I'll join, too."

You stared, eyes bulging out of your sockets.  Did Lemon Candy just volunteer to help you guys?  At a mental hospital?  You raised an eyebrow at him.  "Why?"

Woohyun clasped his hands together, just as Sungjong broke eye contact with you guys.  "Alright!  So it's settled.  We'll be starting our next shift tomorrow, since it's a Saturday and you guys don't have school.  This is going to be daebak!"

You peeked over at Sungjong just as he popped a lemon candy into his mouth.  He volunteered because he's afraid I'd run into harm there.  You smiled unknowingly.  Thank you, Lemon Candy.

A/N: I took so long writing this chapter, oh my gosh. > < Oh well, I think it's worth it!  Haerin and Lemon Candy are FINALLY beginning to develop feelings for each other!  So you know what?  COMMENCE THE FLUFF OVERLOAD!  IT'S ALL UPHILL FROM NOW, BABY! :DDD

It would mean a lot if you guys commented.  :3 Heyy, have you guys noticed that chapters 8-19 are all in the span of a day?  xD

And yay, 2000 views!  I know it's not much, compared to other stories, but it means a lot to me. Thank you! ^3^ <333