The Red Dress

Yah, Lemon Candy!

"Haerin, what do you think of this one?" Sungjong held up a tuxedo in front of him for you to inspect.

You groaned and leaned back on the sofa that the store provided for customers.  "This is the fourth one you've shown me!  Dude, they all look the same!"  You've never been able to tell the difference between tuxedos, and didn't understand why men made it sound like such a big deal.  

Sungjong frowned and looked at himself in the full-length mirror at the end of the aisle.  "Nah, I think this one's going overboard with the collar."  He set it back in its place on the rack.

You wanted to pull your hair out.  "Oh my gosh.  Sungjong!  Just choose a suit already!  Nobody cares!"

You guys were browsing through the clearance section, and Sungjong had been going through all of the rows, searching one by one for that "perfect suit".  You sighed exasperatedly as he, once again, made his way onto the next aisle.

“Gaahh!” you gripped your short hair furiously.  “Seriously, you and Nana would be the perfect match.  You guys take hours picking out things.”

“Don’t you start!” Sungjong protested with his back faced to you.  He continued examining each suit carefully.

“I am going to frickin kill you, Lemon Candy!  If you take one more minute, I will-”

“Hey, Haerin.”

You stopped mid-rant and turned around.  You came face to face with Baekhyun, who was wearing a slim-fitting black button-down.

Startled you asked, “You work here, too?”

He nodded.  “Yeah, since a couple months ago.”

“Ohh,” you said.  “But wait.  Weren’t you just at that Willy Wonka store just an hour ago?”

He replied, “Oh, so you noticed.” And smiled.

You couldn’t help but roll your eyes.  “Yeah, because a normal person totally would’ve forgotten something that happened just an hour ago.  How many jobs do you have, anyways?”

Sungjong called from his place just as Baekhyun was about to say something.  “Haerin!  Come over here for a sec.  I need your opinion on something!”

You groaned and kicked at the ground.  “No!  I don’t wanna!”  You turned to Baekhyun.  “Hey, do you mind to go over there and help him with whatever it is he wants?”

“As myself, yes, I would mind.  But as a worker?”  He sighed.  “Kinda have to.”  

You leaned back and watch the scene play out in front of you.  Baekhyun walked over to Sungjong, gritting his teeth as he politely asked Lemon Candy if he needed assistance.  You chuckled as Sungjong awkwardly backed away and shook his head “no”.  He also said something to Baekhyun, but it wasn’t audible from where you were sitting.

Soon, Baekhyun came back to you with a weird grin on his face.  “He says he wants you to come there,” Baekhyun announced.

“Ugh!” you grunted, and stomped over to Sungjong.  “What?!”

Sungjong didn’t flinch at your outburst, but continued browsing.  He said, “I wanted to ask if you’re going to the dance next week.”

“What for?” you asked skeptically.

He fished out another suit from the rack and held it out to examine it.  You groaned, as it looked exactly the last four suits.  

Sungjong looked at you with a grin.  “Let’s get matching outfits for the dance!”

Your eyes bulged out.  “What?  No!  I’m not even going!”

“Aww, but I am.  And I don’t wanna be left alone with only Myungsoo and Sungyeol.  You know they always leave me by myself to do all their gross Myungyeol stuff!”

You shuddered as Myungyeol popped into your mind, but quickly recovered.  “As I said, I’m not going.  And besides,” you paused to slyly nudge his shoulder.  “You already have Nana.”

“Dude!”

You bursted out laughing, but then Baekhyun showed up from behind.  He said, “Haerin, you really should go to the dance.”

You turned around to glare at him.  “And who are you to decide that?”

“Come on,” Baekhyun insisted.  “It’ll be fun!”

Sungjong intruded, “Yeah.  See, Haerin?”  You didn’t answer.  He turned to Baekhyun.  “Could you help her find a dress, please?”

“What?!”

“Of course,” he said, and began leading the way, leaving Sungjong back to his shopping.  “This way to the dresses, my lady.”

You felt bile rise up in your throat as you remembered having to try on dresses for Woohyun just earlier that afternoon.  “Can’t I just wear a suit or something?” you asked as you started backing towards the tuxedo section.

Baekhyun grabbed your arm before you could escape.  “Unless you want all eyes on you at the dance, I’d recommend you not to.”

“What do you mean?  I always wear boy clothes.”

He explained, “This is a dance, Haerin.  Not a casual sports event.  If you show up in a suit, people are going to judge you for the rest of the school year.”

“Psh, like I care.”

“Haerin.”  Baekhyun’s voice was stern, and it surprised you.  “Just trust me on this.”

You didn’t know what to say.  Of course, you still were absolutely sure that you did not want to wear a dress.  But something about his words made you believe him. 

At last, you surrendered.  “Fine,” you sighed.

Baekhyun’s face lit up.  “Good!  Now let’s get you some dresses!”

You laughed.  “Wait a minute.  Did you actually want me to go to the dance?  Or were you just trying to sell me your store’s dresses?”

He shrugged playfully.  “A little bit of both.”

“Yah!” you chuckled.

“Ok!  Now let’s begin.”  Baekhyun started out by asking you your size.

“Uhh, I don’t know.”  You looked down at your t-shirt and basketball shorts. 

“Alright, if you’d like me to measure you, I can.”  He pulled out a measuring tape from his pocket.  You stood still as he took measurements of the length from your hip down to the ground.  When he measured the size around your waist, your face turned slightly red, since he had to wrap his arms around your waist to get a precise measurement.  “Ok, now I’ll need you to lift your arms up.”

You reluctantly asked, “Wait... what for?”  You still hadn’t shaved your armpits yet.  

Baekhyun nonchalantly replied, “I have to measure your chest size.”

“My what?!” you yelled as you protectively made an “X” with your arms.

“Relax, Haerin,” he chuckled.  “Since I’m an employee, you are protected, under my contract, from any ual harassment.”

You made a disgusted face.  “Oh yeah?  But how can I trust you?  I see the way you and your gang look at girls around school.”

He cleared his throat and looked away.  “Fine.  If you don’t trust me, it’s alright.”  He retracted the measuring tape and slipped it back into his pocket avoiding eye contact with you.  He told you your other measurements and said, “Call me over if you need anything.”  He left you to do your own shopping.

You found it strange how he suddenly became so dejected.  “All I said was that I didn’t want him to.  Why’d he suddenly become so upset?”  You shook your head disapprovingly.  “ert,” you mumbled, and laughed.  Browsing through different racks, you found dress shopping extremely difficult.  “How do girls do this?” you murmured to yourself.  You didn’t like any of the dresses Woohyun had thrown at you, so how the heck were you going to do this on your own?

After a while, you gave up and plucked a simple black dress off its rack.  “Guess I’ll just try this one.”  You headed towards the dressing room that you had used when Woohyun was there.  On the way, your eyes caught onto a bright red dress to your left.  Curious, you headed over to inspect it.  The dress was, strapless, body-hugging, and extremely short.  You’ve seen some girls wear these kinds of dresses on TV shows where they attend nightclubs and parties.

You laughed when you checked the price on it.  “200,000 won.  This is a joke.”  You threw it back in its place.  

You stepped into the dressing room and changed into the black dress.  “Not bad,” you praised your reflection.  The dress was sleeveless, but it extended down to your knees.  It didn’t accentuate your features to the point of being too tight, so you felt rather comfortable in it.  

Slightly satisfied, you reached for the price tag in the back and gasped.  “210,000 won?!”  You quickly slipped out of it and back into your normal clothes.  “No way do I have money for that.”

You exited the dressing room and leaving the dress back.  After all, that was what Woohyun had taught you.  You headed towards Sungjong and asked, “Are you almost done yet?  It’s been an hour already.”

He had a few suits draped over his arm.  “Oh, yeah.  I’m gonna go try these on.”

You scoffed.  “About time you did.”  Sungjong entered the males’ side of the dressing room, and you realized that it would be at least another ten minutes before you could leave that store for good.  You were about to go sit down on the sofa again, knowing that you’d be bored out of your mind.  But then, you remembered something.  

The red dress.  Surely, no one would care if you just tried it on, right?  You slyly slid back to the ladies’ section and found the red dress, exactly where you last saw it.  You quickly grabbed it and rushed into a dressing room.  You were curious as to how this... thing... would look on you.  After taking off your casual clothes, you hopped into the red dress.  You struggled with pulling the piece of fabric past your hips, since it was so tight.  Finally, you got it on.

You examined yourself in the mirror.  “Oh my gosh.  Bwahaha.”  You clamped your hands over your mouth to muffle the laughter coming out of it.  This was the most horrendous thing you’ve ever seen.  The bottom barely went past mid-thigh, and the bodice was so tight that you could distinguish several fat lumps around the area.  The last part was the top.  The chest area was so roomy that, due to your flat chest, the dress was practically not even attached to your body in that section.  “Hahaha.  What the heck?  How do girls even wear this?”  you chuckled and began to take it off.

All of a sudden, a blaring alarm penetrated the air.  You panicked and wondered what was going on.  You dared not to leave the dressing room, as you still had that hideous dress on.  

“Everyone!  Fire!”  someone yelled from outside.

Anxiety washed over you and you fumbled around to get this thing off of you.  However, due to the tightness of it, the dress was practically impossible to get off in a timely fashion.

The announcer came on in a loud voice.  “Everyone!  Please exit the store!  There is a fire!”

You groaned as the dress still clung onto your body.  “You have got to be kidding me.”    

A/N: I felt bad that I haven't been updating that often.  So here's an extra long chapter for you guys! :D

Here's the black dress that Haerin was trying on:

 

And here's the dress that Haerin was struggling with XD:

Which dress would you like her to wear to the dance? XD