Register for the Test

Yah, Lemon Candy!

"We are getting our blood tested RIGHT NOW, Lee Haerin!" Woohyun tugged on your arm forcefully as you guys exited the mental hospital. He grunted. "I am NOT going to live my life wondering if you are my long-lost sister or not."

 
You squirmed out of his grasp and chuckled. "Hold up, Sungjong's still not out yet." You held back so that Sungjong would be able to catch up. You turned back to Woohyun. "Why are you so worried about us being related anyway?"
 
Woohyun pouted. "Because I don't wanna be my wife's brother."
 
You knocked him playfully on the head. "Pabo. I'm not your wife," you laughed as the glass door slid to a close behind you guys. 
 
Sungjong stepped out by your side. "Yah, Namu. Haerin just told us about there being a possibility of that happening." He picked off a piece of thread loosely dangling on his sleeve and mumbled, "There's a chance that it might not even be true."
 
Your heart skipped a beat. Why did he sound so uncertain? Did Sungjong actually hope that... you guys weren't related? So that you guys could be something...more?
 
Your face was about to burst from the warmth creeping up throughout your body. Luckily, Woohyun twirled you around. "Whatever, I'm still not taking any chances!" He pulled you away. "Let's go, Rinnie."
 
You were willing to jump at any opportunity to get out of Sungjong's line of vision right now. You did not want him to see your bright red face. You started walking and said, "Alright, Namu-"
 
"Haerin." You felt another grasp on your other free hand. Startled, you turned to see Sungjong holding onto your hand. He calmly said, "We have to get home soon. Mom's probably waiting."
 
You stuttered for words. "Uh, um, oh. Y-yeah probabl-"
 
"Andwaeee!!" Namu strongly tugged on your arm so that your entire body twirled and your back thumped into him. He childishly, but protectively, hugged you around your waist. "Rinnie is coming with me!" He cried. "I can't take this not knowing state of mind any longer! I gotta know if we're related or not."
 
Sungjong rolled his eyes and let go of your wrist. "Fine," he stated nonchalantly. He stuck his hands into his pockets and started strolling away in the opposite direction. 
 
Finally, you found your voice. "L-lemon Candy!" It could've been your imagination, but you saw a slight glimpse of a smile appear on his lips. He swirled on his heels and waited for what you were about to say. You scratched your neck and mustered, "You k-know, you can come with us if you want." Your eyes darted to the ground. "I-If you want."
 
Sungjong's face was almost expressionless he took quick steps back to join the two of you. With a crooked smile, he answered, "Sure."
 
Twenty minutes of walking later, the three of you had reached the receptionist office at the neighborhood clinic. Woohyun ushered you guys into the room faster than an impeding pack of bulls. "Go go!" He lured you guys into the waiting seats. "Sungjong, go sign us in or register or whatever!" he ordered. 
 
Sungjong opened his mouth to oppose, but Woohyun changed his mind first. "Never mind, Lemon Candy." He rushed over to the receptionist desk, shouting over his shoulder, "You would take too long. I'll sign us up instead."
 
Once Woohyun was out of earshot, by the desk, Sungjong sank into the seat right next to yours. Your mind boggled at the sudden closeness. If it weren't for the arm rests on either side of the seats, you probably would've exploded from the proximity. However, all your excitement was replaced by nervousness as you realized that neither of you were talking. Sungjong seemed calm as he leaned back in the soft leather chair with his hands in his pockets. 
 
Wanting desperately for the silence to be broken, you found a topic. "Hey, look at Namu," you randomly said. This managed to briefly catch Sungjong's attention. Feeling a sliver of success, you continued. "H-haha. It looks like he's, like, um, flirting with that receptionist again."
 
Sungjong's eyes searched around, but you could tell that he wasn't buying it. After all, it was even clear to a five year old that Woohyun was panicking and frantically scratching away at the clipboard in his hands, his attention nowhere near the receptionist.
 
You chuckled awkwardly as Sungjong turned back to face you. His eyebrows scrunched up in a confused state. He placed his palm against your forehead and asked, "Are you alright?" He used a finger to push the side of your head, with so much force that you nearly swayed off your chair. He chuckled and crossed his legs. "You really are a pabo sometimes."
 
"Yah!" you yelled. You crossed your arms and pouted. "What did you say, Lemon Candy?"
 
He smirked. "Okay good, you're back to normal." He glanced at you. "I was starting to wonder why you were acting so weird around me."
 
You furrowed your brows. "T-that's because..."
 
"Rinnie!" Woohyun bounded over with the clipboard cradled in his arms. 
 
You glared once at Sungjong and redirected your to attention Woohyun. "Yeah?"
 
He shoved the clipboard so close to your face, all you could make out were blurred rows of words. Woohyun said, "They wanna know if you've ever taken blood, and... if you know who your parents are."
 
You stared at the paper, and sure enough, there was a box that asked if the patient had any possible theories of who his or her birth parents were. "Umm... I think I've taken blood once before..." you bit your lip when it came to the parents part. "And... my parents?" As Woohyun quickly nodded, you scanned your memory of your mom's name. Was it Hwang something... No, it could've been Song Hye N- No, doesn't sound familiar. You racked your brain for your dad's name instead. Dae something? Jae? You ruffled your hair as none of these names seemed to fit. You sighed in defeat. "I don't remember. Sorry, Namu."
 
He nodded. "It's okay, Rinnie. I'll just put 'not applicable'." He started to walk away.
 
You leaned back in your chair dejectedly. How could I not remember my own parents' names? you chastised yourself. You closed your eyes as your head fell backwards against the top of the chair.
 
"Stupid Namu." You heard Sungjong's voice, which caused your body to straighten back up. Opening your eyes, you saw him shaking his head. Sungjong muttered, "He should've known better than to ask such a touchy subject without any precaution."
 
Did Lemon Candy just defend you? You scratched your head in reply. "Well, he was just anxious to-"
 
"That's not an excuse from talking about your parents so bluntly!" he rebutted.
 
You kept quiet as Woohyun came back to sit in between you and Sungjong."What did I miss?" he asked cheerfully, unaware of the tense atmosphere.
Sensing how none of you were answering, he nudged your side and added, "Heyyy, what's wrong?" 
 
You didn't really feel the need to yell at him about his mistake. You knew Woohyun was just nervous about the results of the upcoming blood test. "I'm alright," you smiled reassuringly. 
 
Sungjong, on the other hand, yelled, "Woohyun, don't you know how sensitive Haerin is to that subject?!"
 
Suddenly realizing his mistake, he clamped both hands to his mouth. "Omo... Rinnie, I am so sorry!" he hugged you. "I promise, I will be careful of my words next time!"
 
Sungjong grabbed the back of Woohyun's shirt. "Yah, you don't deserve to be hugging her."
 
Woohyun pouted and snuggled up closer to you. "If only this armrest wasn't separating the two of us, you would be on me right now," he crooned to you.
 
You, well-accustomed to his greasiness, didn't think much of it. 
Sungjong, however, slapped him on the back. "Yah! What kind of statement is that?!"
 
Woohyun defended himself. "I meant that she would be on my lap right now."
 
Sungjong spluttered. "Still!"
 
"I meant-"
 
"Everyone, put your hands up!" Gasps could be heard around the clinic. Breaking from the argument, Sungjong's, Woohyun's, and your attentions darted to the front door. 
 
There were two guys bearing guns. And those guns were aimed at the three of you.