#12

Unconditionally
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1][/CONTENTID1][CONTENTID2]Her eyes widened as she saw a family gravestone marker with the clear Chinese transcript of 'Wu' carved in it.

 

"Wh- Why…?"

 

Kris opened the box and removed two sticks of incense. Dara could only stare, but Kris led her to the smallest stone in front of the large marker.

 

There it was, carved in English, elegant script.

 

‘Ace Wu’

 

Dara automatically sank to her knees with Kris, and the two brought their hands up in prayer, the incense wafting thin trails of lazy smoke into the air. Dara could only stare at the name of her unborn child… before she broke out into a half-sob, half-laugh.

 

"Kris…"

 

Kris turned to look at her.

 

"…do you think Ace would have taken from you?"

 

"I hope not," Kris grimaced.

 

Dara gave him a questioning stare.

 

"Between you and me, I would have preferred if he would took from you. Your face, your smile, even your height…"

 

"Then that would make him a girl!!" she protested, a humorless laugh (but still a laugh) erupting from her lips. "I wanted him to be a boy! And he would grow just like you, but having my smile wasn’t a bad idea. A small version of Kris but… with… my… smile…”

 

"…"

 

"How strange… and beautiful… and… and…"

 

Dara let out another laugh, but soon, even she couldn't hide her tears.

 

"Ace…" she whispered. "My beautiful baby, Ace… no matter what, if you smile just like me or not, like your Appa… I still love you. Umma loves you very, very much."

 

She huddled and finally allowed the tears to drip as much as they wanted. When Kris slowly wrapped his arms around her, she didn't resist, as the brokenhearted couple cried over the loss of their child.

 

***

 

“Where are we going now?” Dara asked as they settled back to the car.

 

He leaned back in the driver's seat.

 

"Hold on… my eyes are too swollen right now."

 

Dara giggled.

 

“Kris looks like a pufferfish!”

 

"Huh?!"

 

“Your eyes are all swollen and bloated!”

 

"Hey, your eyes don't look much better," he retorted.

 

“Pufferfish Kris!”

 

"Oi," he said in mock anger as he pinched her cheek. He skillfully hid the secret thrill he felt in chest when Dara didn't recoil at his touch. She just glared at him, puffing out her round cheeks.

 

“My face is not a toy!” she stuck her tongue at him, and he chuckled.

 

"Hey…"

 

“Hm?”

 

"H- How about we go out to eat dinner?" he suggested. Dara's smile suddenly vanished and he mentally smacked himself on the forehead.

 

Subtlety, idiot, subtlety...

 

"Um... Dara?" he tried saying, but she simply looked down at her hands, as if remembering that she was angry with him.

 

Dara… no matter what I do… it can't make up for everything, can it?

 

…but…

 

Is it okay if I keep trying?

 

***

 

“Why are we here?”

 

Kris grinned. "Come on… this is my family's private clothing store."

 

Dara gave him a blink of disbelief.

 

The two of them entered, and a short balding man immediately jumped up.

 

"Young Master! How wonderful to see you again! And…"

 

The man's eyes curiously jumped to the woman standing shyly behind Kris.

 

"…this… this is Wu Dara. My… wife."

 

Kris didn't know why it was so awkward to tell the family tailor about Dara… until…

 

"Ehhhh?! You're married?! And to a woman as lovely as this!? How come I never made clothes for her?"

 

Oh… yeah… that's why.

 

Dara remained silent, but, as she had manners, bowed in greeting. The man smiled kindly at her.

 

"I made this lovely dress myself last night, Young Miss. I must say, it fits you very flatteringly, if I do say so myself!"

 

Dara gave him a soft smile back.

 

"So, what can I help you with?"

 

"I want you to give her another dress."

 

Both Dara and the tailor looked at Kris in surprise.

 

“D- Did you not like my work, Young Master?”

 

Kris shook his head. “It’s for another occasion.”

 

"Then… when do you need it by?"

 

"Now. Five minutes. The sooner the better."

 

"Eh?! But it could take days to make a dress of the high quality the Wu family deserves!"

 

"I meant a pre-made dress," Kris pointed out. "My mother usually has dresses made, right? Just alter them a little."

 

"Well… all right… Young Miss, if you would come with me…"

 

Dara gave Kris a nervous glance, to which he smiled back reassuringly.

 

"Don't worry… you're in good hands."

 

Dara took a deep breath, then nodded, following the contemplating tailor to the back of the store.

 

***

 

Sure enough, as expected of the Wu's personal tailor, Dara emerged five minutes later.

 

"You didn't really have to take only five minutes," Kris grinned as he stood up, turning around. "You should take some time to-"

 

What Dara should have taken some time to do, she never found out because Kris promptly tripped over a rather large hat box behind him. He slipped and barely managed out a grunt as he landed flat on his back.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter