#18

Unconditionally
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1][/CONTENTID1][CONTENTID2]It wasn't too shocking for Kris, when he came into his company that following Monday, to see his subordinates gossiping about him, some of them hissing rumors rather scandalously right in front of him (although they made a poor effort to cover their whispers behind their hands).

 

After all, the last time they had seen their ‘ice-for-blood President Wu, he had been hurriedly buttoning up his shirt as he chased his wife out the building.

 

Kris gritted his teeth as his secretary, who was normally quite polite, gave him rather cool responses. He was tempted to fire her to scare people into behaving, but when he thought about it, she was a good secretary, he did somewhat deserve this treatment, and firing her would only increase the gossip about him mistreating his employees.

 

His phone rang and when he pressed the accept button, the secretary's voice sounded even colder than before.

 

"President Wu, your wife is on the line.”

 

Kris’ mood suddenly lightened up.

 

“Put her through."

 

The line went quiet for a moment, followed by a distinct beep.

 

Grinning, he started. “Hey, you miss me already? I just got-”

 

"…Kris?" She sounded worried and Kris immediately sat straighter.

 

“Dara, is something wrong?” He asked hurriedly.

 

“Uhmm… I just received a really strange letter."

 

"Huh?" he flipped through his files. "What letter?"

 

"…it's a reminder. A reminder to appear in court tomorrow."

 

Kris promptly dropped the papers.

 

"Ignore it, Dara," he said sharply, but he knew it was too late.

 

"Why do you have a court summon?" she asked shakily. "This… It have the Kwon’s financial group insignia on it. Jiyong’s summoning you to court? What's going on?"

 

"…Dara, I already told you, it's nothing."

 

“Fine. if you won't tell me…"

 

Kris blinked as he heard the click of the phone hanging up. And realization hit him.

 

"Dammit!"

 

***

 

"Dara!" Jiyong smiled brightly at her. "Come in!"

 

He opened the door and allowed the girl to enter. She gave him a weak smile.

 

“I brought something for you, Ji.”

 

"Oh?"

 

Dara held out a bag of Jeju Island’s delicacies, and Jiyong's eyes lit up.

 

"Thank you," he smiled, gently placing a hand on his best friend's head. "But seeing you safe was more than enough."

 

Dara gave him a smile back, but he could easily see the strain.

 

"Is- Is something wrong?"

 

Dara bit her lower lip as Jiyong ordered a maid to bring out snacks and drinks for the unexpected visit of his favorite girl.

 

"…Dara?"

 

Dara took a sip of her iced peach tea before taking a deep breath.

 

“Ji, why are you suing Kris?”

 

Jiyong nearly dropped his glass.

 

"Did he tell you?" he asked bitterly. Dara slowly shook her head.

 

“A reminder of the summons came in the mail today.”

 

Jiyong released a sigh, setting down his untouched tea.

 

"I didn't want you to find out, Dara. I was afraid you'd be against it."

 

“I am against it!” Dara slammed her hand above the table, hands trembling. “You're suing my husband!”

 

"Don't call him that." Jiyong said, voice strained. "How can you forgive him for what he's done?"

 

“Kris has proven to me that he does not intend to make his mistake again.” Dara reassured him, but Jiyong's stubborn gaze didn't falter.

 

"I refuse to believe th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter