#7

Unconditionally
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1][/CONTENTID1][CONTENTID2]Kris sat in the hospital wing, outside the Emergency Room, glaring at the door as if that would make it open any faster. An untouched cup of coffee that had gone cold a while back sat next to him, as he was unable to stop a shiver. So much blood… so much… blood. He didn't even fully remember what happened after. All he could recall was him screaming, trying to run in to the street as people held him back, some man standing by was a registered nurse, and was doing something to her, but he didn't care because Dara, his wife, was laying in the street in a pool of blood.

 

There was so much blood…

 

After what felt like an eternity, the doctor opened the door, face grim. Kris leaped out of his seat, heart pounding.

 

"Doctor…"

 

The doctor sighed and shook his head.

 

"Wh- What does that mean?" he asked, fear crossing his features. The doctor lowered his head.

 

"I'm afraid… we couldn't save both of them. I'm sorry. The woman is fine, but..."

 

Kris blinked and then collapsed in his chair, nearly fainting from relief.

 

"Doctor," he said wearily. "You have the wrong person. I'm here for Wu Dara. Just her."

 

The doctor gave him a very strange look. "Mr. Wu…"

 

"What?"

 

The doctor thumbed through the various files on his folder, and reached for Dara's papers. He riffled through it before pulling out black-and-white photos. Kris stared.

 

X-rays?

 

"Mr. Wu…" the doctor said helplessly before handing them to Kris.

 

Don't look. Don't look.

 

He looked.

 

"What… What…"

 

The message wasn't processing in his mind. It couldn't be. It didn't make sense.

 

"I guess… she didn't tell you," the doctor finally said quietly. "Your wife is… was… 3 months pregnant."

 

Kris felt himself shaking and had to force himself to sit. All that blood… so… the blood was…

 

The headache began to mercilessly pound against his brain, laughing maniacally as it began to drill a hole through his skull. He struggled to think straight.

 

3 months?

 

He began to think frantically. What had happened three months ago? Three months… hadn't that been when they had gotten married?

 

He froze as it sank in.

 

"P- Please… say that you love me."

 

"Chaerin… Chaerin… Chaerin…"

 

He dropped the sonographs, and suddenly, things seemed to stream into his head at once.

 

"Um… Kris… could we talk?"

 

"I'm busy."

 

"But-"

 

"Damn, Dara," he breathed in frustration. "Can't this wait?"

 

She lowered her head. "I… I suppose so."

 

"Good."

 

"You can't even hear what I have to say!" she shouted angrily, tears filling her eyes again. She hated this feeling. She had cried so much during this marriage, but she just couldn't take it anymore.

 

"It's not fair!" she cried, emotions getting the better of her. "I'm your wife! You married me! You're supposed to care about me more than you care about Lee Chaerin!"

 

"What the hell is the matter with you?" he retorted. "Even you knew when you entered this marriage, that I couldn't devote myself to you completely!"

 

"You might want to lay off the rice bowls," he grinned. A pair of nerve twitched on her forehead, fire beginning to sprout in Dara's eyes.

 

"I'll have you know-!" she began, but was interrupted by a loud knock.

 

He clutched his throbbing head, a whimper passing his lips as the pain increased more than ever. His headache felt like someone was hammering his forehead over and over. He could vaguely hear the doctor's panicked cry.

 

"Mr. Wu? Mr. Wu!"

 

And then, amidst the swirl of memories came one more.

 

"I'm in the mood now," he hissed in and she trembled. "Come on, Dara… show me what you've been showing them."

 

"I haven't," she sobbed. "Please stop! Please! Kris!"

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter