Simple Kind Of Life

Biophilia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo ran his fingers through Miyoung's soft, black hair and smiled because it reminded him so much of her Appa's.

 

It'd been ten years since they'd fled Korea and not once had he ever threatened to look back ... what he had here was too important.

 

Sometimes he missed his old family ... he missed his Appa's usual silent regality or he thought about the memories he had with his Noona or Hyung. Sometimes he spent a few hours dwelling on what it would be like to see Sehun now and find out what had become of him and Luhan. And on more painful days, he thought about what it would have been like if Chanyeol was still alive today.

 

Things would be different if Yeol were still around ... Baekhyun certainly wouldn't have joined them in their bolt from authorities. Hell, maybe the whole issue with Kris wouldn’t have happened at all either.

 

But it was too late to think about those things now. Chanyeol was gone, and his departure paved the way for the blonde to meet his new boyfriend of the last seven years, Changmin.

 

He hoped Chanyeol would have been happy to see Baek learn to cope after his death, especially with someone that was so good to him.

 

Baekhyun was going to teach Miyoung soccer soon ... Baek loved the little girl almost as much as her adopted parents did. Soo thought about the day when the blonde and Changmin would eventually adopt their own child ... they'd both be very happy.

 

They had a ton of love to give to someone, almost as much as Kai and Kyungsoo did.

 

The older wished Kai could have still been in bed with him, but he was off to his job at a government construction site.

 

They'd decided against spending much of the bullion, they preferred to save it till they were desperate. The couple wanted to make their way in this new world on their own.

 

This life was so different from what he expected; when he was a child he thought he was going to be a Seoul socialite forever. And in his teenage years, he considered fashion so highly on his list of future musts.

 

And yet here he was, living a simple and quiet life as a domestic spouse.

 

Even this came as a shock to him; when the plan was first conceived, somehow he'd pictured something rural and hard to deal with. But what he found upon his arrival to his new home was something new and perfect entirely.

 

Vietnam was so different from his home and the world he used to know, but he didn’t mind it after a while. The government was a bit more invasive -- mainly because of the small size of the population it had authority over -- but it also cared more, and the current state respected the rights of everyone. It was strange at first to live in such a communal society, but the occasional selflessness of it made his insides feel right.

 

The excess and luxury he’d known in his early life always felt so misplaced for him; how could he enjoy being on top of the world when everyone else he cared about was stuck at the bottom? His heart could beat clearer with this new modality of life and he was so grateful that this was the world he was bringing his little girl up in.

 

Sure, it was isolated from the rest of the planet, but within Vietnam the people had found a way to make things work. They still had electricity and running water, but things like televisions or local radio stations didn’t really exist here.

 

Yet he didn't really need any of that ... he didn't need the distractions anymore because his life was no longer mundane. As long as he had Kai and Miyoung with him, the world was as bright and bursting as it could be.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter