Gypsy

Biophilia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You don't have to wear those sunglasses at this point, we're too far past the city for anyone to be looking for you," Baekhyun commented from his spot in the driver's seat.

 

It'd been hours since they'd fled with all that they needed and Sehun was right, his car was light years faster than the one that Soo was planning to take.

 

What helped though was that the blonde was such a reckless driver; multiple times while they were on the road, Kyungsoo thought he'd seen his last moments. Now he understood why Chanyeol had always been so adamant that Baek only drive when it was absolutely necessary.

 

"But I don't think it's a good idea to take them off yet," Kyungsoo looked down and saw that Kai was still dead asleep with his head resting in the older's lap, "It makes it harder for CCTV to catch a glimpse of our faces."

 

"You really think there are cameras out here?" Baek looked around at the fields surrounding them, "In the country-side? I really doubt there keeping a close watch on farmers."

 

He wanted to protest, but the blonde had a really solid point and the only camera's he'd seen so far had been those on telephone posts and they were so wide-spread he wasn't sure if they even would work that well.

 

Hesitantly, he took them off his face and tried adjusting to the bright lights that were now streaming in through the windows.

 

Maybe he should have realized that it was going to be this bright in the morning though.

 

Kyungsoo took a moment to recount all that had happened since they'd left so he could have a clear time-line in his head to figure out where they were.

 

They'd packed and left late yesterday afternoon with Baekhyun at the helm for a long time. By evening, they stopped to gas up and get snacks and Baek and Soo switched out so that Baekhyun could sleep while the older drove late into the night.

 

Then at seven, they stopped again because Kyungsoo was getting tired and he woke the blonde to switch. Which led to now, Baekhyun driving and Kyungsoo waking up from a very revitalizing sleep.

 

In all of this, Kai had to sit in the back seat and try to stay out of view because he'd be the easiest to identify if they got stopped. There was a host of things that could have given him away and he wouldn't have been any help driving.

 

But now that they were home free and out of the way of domestic authority, he figured that maybe Kai could get comfortable too.

 

The Chattel could even sit in the passenger seat now if he pleased and he was thinking of asking Jongin to whenever Soo took driving back over.

 

Kyungsoo stretched his arms out to adjust his body back to the world of the living and put his fingers through Kai's hair that was splayed all over his thighs.

 

"What time is it?" the older knew it had to be sometime early, "and where are we?"

 

"If your asking when we got out of Korea, it was last night."

 

That wasn't what he was asking, but he didn't mind knowing that little tid-bit. He'd known getting out of Korea was going to be easy enough, his country was small, but he hadn't really thought about it till now.

 

"But where? And you still haven't given me a time."

 

"Well, this is about a two day drive and if we're a little under half a day into it, what would be your guess?"

 

"You don't have to be an about it," Kyungsoo sighed, "So how long have we been in China?"

 

"Umm .... since we first switched ... I didn't want to freak you out and tell you that you'd be driving past the border."

 

"You made me cross the border?? I could have been killed," Kyungsoo was suddenly very upset with this revelation.

 

"Calm down, I had you do it because you're cute, I didn't think a border patrol guard would shoot a cute person," Baekhyun gave his very unsound reasoning, "and it's not like there's anyone that guards the border anymore ... their government gave up years ago."

 

That was true. After North Korea fell, China gave up on keeping their border watched after at all. Though it’d been years since China had given a about anything. At least it made sense now why they'd been able to drive through the country-side with little-to-no issue at all so far.

 

"Well ... you have a good point with that one."

 

"Of course I have a good point," The blonde turned to glare at him, "I am smart sometimes."

 

"That's a shock to us all," Kai mumbled and Soo couldn't help but burst into laughter.

 

"I will stop this car and run away if you two don't stop bullying me," Baek quipped and they all laughed more.

 

The rest of the day went by the same way, filled with short and snippy little back-and-forths between the trio and occasionally switching drivers so someone could sleep. Kai still didn't feel comfortable taking to the front yet and so he stayed in the back and tried to keep who ever was driving as entertained as possible.

 

Otherwise, the only other thing they had to make this drive less monotonous was the bank of cds they had. Soo had originally just brought it with him because he was sentimental, but now he was very happy he'd had the foresight to bring his old cd case that was filled to the brim.

 

He'd always been a big geek for girl-groups and the number of cd's he had of f(x), SNSD, and 2NE1 was ungodly. But no one seemed to like them more than Baekhyun, who could somehow recall all the dance moves to each song. Watching him perform 'Gee' while still in his seat was entertaining enough for the entire day's trip.

 

After a while, they’d really started to develop an informal structure on how everything on this trip worked. It started with who got to pick the music and it ended at when and where to try to stop and break for a moment.

 

They decided to speed through the day and not stop for meals, so instead they got as much food as they wanted each time they s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter