Never Give Up

Biophilia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You're really not supposed to bring him to school you know," Baekhyun whined into Kyungsoo's ear from their squished spot on the bus, "it's very inappropriate; you wouldn't bring your puppy to school would you?"

 

"I didn't want him to be lonely at home today and I still don't know him that well," Soo whispered back, but he didn't mind if Kai could hear. The younger was sitting right next to him -- they'd decided to make the two people seating into a trio spot -- so he probably wasn't missing any of this conversation anyways.

 

"Yah! You're so weird," the blonde tried to smack his arm, but failed due to how physically close they were to one another, "You don't need to know him and he doesn't need to know you ... unless you mean in the bedroom sense and even that should be reserved for home."

 

Soo could feel his eyes bulge when he heard Baekhyun say this and he looked over to gauge Kai's reaction, which was a sprawling grin.

 

"That was very inappropriate."

 

"And true."

 

"Suho is worth more than just a object."

 

"Yes, he's also a wonderful cook and he's very good at folding."

 

"Do you hear yourself?" the shorter was abhorrent, "even you know you treat Suho better than that."

 

"Fine, but I don't see the need to 'get to know' your Chattel," Baek looked off, probably (hopefully) a little ashamed, "you get to know them through your experiences, you don't need to sit down at a table and discuss your favorite things."

 

"You're trying to sum it up so easily, when it's not ... I want to get to know him so we can be closer ... and I enjoy his presence."

 

"I don't like what I think I'm hearing."

 

There was a silence because he'd finally said it, "It's not like that Baekhyun ... it's just nice having a friend outside our little group."

 

"Even friends is a dangerous thing to be with a Chattel."

 

"You're friends with Suho."

 

"Would you stop bringing goddamn Suho into this, he has nothing to do with the conversation," Baek loudly huffed, "I just don't want you to overstep the boundaries because you're trying to be nice."

 

"Maybe If I got to know Kyungsoo-ssi better, I would know how better to serve him," Kai finally piped in which shocked the blonde.

 

Baekhyun just looked at him some more and then turned more to Soo, "You didn't tell me his voice was so velvety."

 

"Did that matter?"

 

"You know I like a man with velvet vocal chords," he looked back up at Kai before looking away in shame again.

 

"I think you feel bad because you were talking so lowly of him and he was sitting here the whole time," Kyungsoo was whispering very low, feeling confident as he said it.

 

"Not just that, I feel bad because what he said was reasonable and I wish you could be more concise like that."

 

"Thank you, Baekhyun-ssi," Kai said from the side, responding to how they were talking about him even though they hadn't formally addressed him yet.

 

Soo could feel the heat radiating off of Baekhyun's cheeks, which was so weird for him because his best friend was super outgoing. It wasn't like him to blush or get flustered -- that tended to be Soo's job after all -- usually he just got his way.

 

Finally, after way too many stops in his opinion, the bus was in front of the school and he grabbed Kai's hand so he wouldn't get lost. He had given Kai a little identification bracelet before so that if anything happened he knew how to get home, but he still didn't want to have to face a situation like that.

 

If it looked like Kai was trying to run away, bad things could happen and Soo ... Soo cared about him to much for that situation to take place. And he felt that the younger wouldn't leave, because they were trying to become friends, and he didn't have a reason to leave yet.

 

Yes another flawed argument ... but they made him feel better about things.

 

"So this is school?" the younger asked amused, staring at the spectacle in front of them.

 

"This is High School actually," Baekhyun cut in, going to the other side of Kai.

 

"Is this your first time?" Soo was curious why he seemed so interested.

 

"School for me was ... different."

 

"Of course it was, this is Human school," the blonde said carelessly, not noticing the face Kai made in response.

 

Kyungsoo had been around him long enough to know that the younger hated when people brought up the differences between them. It was an interesting character trait Kai had considering this was really uncommon for most Chattel; most didn't even notice when talking about the differences in utilities and resources.

 

Maybe Suho was just too good to use as the model example to hold others up to, but the other's he'd met had behaved much like Baekhyun's. They were calm, quiet, strong, and accepting. Hell, he'd seen Suho thank a restaurant owner for the service after he was kicked out due to his 'class.'

 

If Kai where in that situation, Soo couldn't help but imagine someone would have been decked out and the younger would have been dragged off to some police station. He wasn't particularly aggressive, but Kyungsoo could tell that Kai was more inclined to deviant behavior than any other he'd met.

 

He liked the prospect of this ...

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter