Secrets

Unrequited love?

 

9 p.m. and Taecyeon just got back from Nichkhun’s house by walk. He chose the different road from everyone just for having a nice breeze for himself. He always enjoys that, especially in the night of falls season. He doesn’t know how, but a drop of water suddenly falls over his face. He looks up, to find the sky seems to be crying. In a second, the rains get worse and thunderstorms are everywhere.

Then it hits him.

Heeyoung. She must be shaking and terrified right now. Taecyeon moves his feet faster, breaking through the rain. He doesn’t care if he soaked from all of that falling water rushed to him. He has to hurry.

Heeyoung wakes from the sight and sound of the lighting and the storms. This damn fever hasn’t gone down since this morning, and those freaking thunderstorms are now making it even worse. She knows she can’t bring herself to sleep again tonight. She just sits on the corner of her bed, pulling her knees around her arms, face buried on it.

“Jae…” she cried. “Jaebum, Park Jaebum, where are you? Jaebum, wake up… and come here now… I beg you.” She said between sobs. “Wake up from your sleep and… come. Please… I—I’m scared…”

She cries, hoping Jaebum would appearing soon, just like another night with thunders, he’d always come and hugged her tight, making her felt somewhat safe. He’d always whispered all of comfort words for her, although he already knew that she didn’t hear him because her mind was somewhere else. He’d always—always sing her to sleep. He’s a gentle brother. Maybe an annoying one, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s the brother she once loved, and will always love.

“Taecyeon… where… help me…” she sobs harder, but not having a single strength left to move. “Help…” she muttered helplessly.

The sudden burst of the door opened makes her heart stops for a second. Taecyeon observes her, still holding the door’s knob. Then he’s slowly making his way to the bedside.

He kneeled down and whispered, “Heeyoung-ah, you okay?”

Heeyoung couldn’t place it in her brain of what happened. She’s too scared. All that shadow of blood never leaves her vision, her memories. But she never really remembers the memories either. She’s scared, she’s so scared, she doesn’t know what to do anymo—what, what is it? It’s warm. It’s soaked and cold, but she feels the warmth.

The shadow slowly disappears and replaced with a light. She feels safe. Her fear just wore away by the light. The vision she had before vanished. All she could see now is her room. It’s definitely her room. And she realizes now what feels warm. It’s Taecyeon. He places her arms around her neck and her head gently, whispers anything to comfort her, to make her knows that she’s not alone.

She breaks her guard down and tears start to escape her eyes with a rush. She clenches her fists on Taecyeon’s chest. She pressed her face in it. She doesn’t want to see the world right now, not without anything covering for her eyes, to protect her from seeing anything she doesn’t want to see.

“I’m sorry, now you’re just as soaked as me.” Taecyeon said sheepishly.

“It’s okay, Taecyeon, I should’ve said thank you for coming here.”

“You have a fever, Heeyoungie? Is that why you didn’t come to school today?”

“Yeah sort of. Sorry for not telling you anything.”

“Nah, it’s okay.”

“By the way, you could use Jaebum’s room to change. Just wear anything you want from his wardrobe, though his body is much smaller than yours, I’m sure he has something big enough for you. I’m gonna change myself.”

When Taecyeon leaves her room, she sighs. She never expects him to be here. She admits she hopes for him to come, and sure she called him back then, but she never knows he’d really come. She blushes at the thought. Wait, how about Sungyoung? Is she okay right now?

Heeyoung runs to the door, bringing her umbrella in her right hand. Taecyeon who sits in the living room near the door, watching tv with Flynn leaning against him, is turning his head to the girl carefully.

“Where are you going?” he asked

“To Sungyoung’s house.”

“Are you gone nuts already with all of those thunders around?! Furthermore, you still have a fever! Jaebum would haunt me and definitely kill me if he knows I’m letting you off in these storms.”

“But I have to go. I’m lucky that you’re here, but Sungyoung has no one there. She must be shaking right now! You too, why don’t you come to Sungyoung’s house instead?”

“Just—what are you talking about?”

“What? Don’t you get it? She’s afraid of thunders too, right?”

“I never know she is. So drop the idea, I don’t need you fainting out there.”

Heeyoung’s jaw wide opened, “You mean, she’s not afraid of thunders like me?”

“No, never.”

 

Suddenly, I feel something warm placed on my forehead. It’s a water, no, tears?

“Taecyeon?” I get up and see him had his head look up to the ceiling, crying. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

“You.” I heard he’s mumbling.

“Me?”

“No. It’s not you.” What? I clearly heard him saying ‘you’ even though it’s just a mumble.

 

Then he said he was missing someone important to him in the past…

 

 “What is it, Gikwang?”

“What is what?”

“You were obviously glaring.”

“Was I? I don’t know, I like him—as a friend—but it’s always seems like he’s keeping something when he’s with you. It’s like something only he knows and… maybe that was not glaring but me trying to found out whatever he’s thinking?”

 

Then now her eyes are following her jaw’s gesture soon at the realization.

“You mean… really? She’s not afraid of thunderstorms?”

“Not at all.”

“Then… that’s someone important was not her?”

“Didn’t you hear me on our way back from her house two days ago? It’s not Sungyoung, it has never been, and never would be her. That’s it.”

“Then who…”

 

“Hey, what’s wrong?”

“You.”

 

Her eyes widen once again, “Me…?”

Taecyeon only shrugs, doesn’t want to bring the topic out. It takes her long enough to realize. “Go to bed, I’ll just stay here tonight. The room where I usually stay is available right? If you need anything, knock the door.” He said, ruffling Flynn’s hair in his lap.

“Taecyeon, you didn’t answer my question.”

“Yes, Heeyoungie, it was you, it has always been, and would always be you.”

Heeyoung could feel her heart is beating faster, it’s so loud she scared Taecyeon would hear it. It has always been, and would always be you. Just what does that mean? She fell silence, unable to say a word, and is anticipating for him to continue.

“We were best friends, together with Sungyoung and Chanhyuk hyung. But to tell the truth, I’m closer to you than to Sungyoung. Way too closer.” He added.

“Chanhyuk?”

“Uh… you should probably sleep now Heeyoungie. You must be tired from all that cries. Want me to wait for you there until you asleep?”

Heeyoung just stare at him suspiciously for a moment, until finally she said, “No need, I think I’ll be fine on my own. By the way, use everything you need in this house as always. You could go back whenever you want. I don’t want to force you to babysit me.”

She smiles weakly. Taecyeon’s right, she’s indeed tired. She’s still curious about who Chanhyuk is. But she decides to put the case aside, because simply Taecyeon doesn’t have the intention of telling her. But really… why has she never realized it before? If Sungyoung was Taecyeon’s friend, then so was she. Maybe a truth lies in what Gikwang said after all, Taecyeon has so many secrets about her that she herself doesn’t know.

She sighs. Taecyeon’s arrival really saved her. She never thought she and him have ever been that close, way too closer, according to him. She also never thought they would be this close right now. It was just an unrequited love before. How things will go through from now on?