Step 24: No curse can affect us

Click, Enter, Love

Every day changes so quickly and you are warmly and brightly shining

(Selene 6.23)

 

When Jonghyun was composing the rest of the world disappeared. That’s when he knew he was doing something worthy, something that would make all the hours he wasted composing excerpts of songs that would never leave his tablet worthwhile. When he stepped inside that moment of high inspiration he couldn’t stop, he couldn’t take a hold of his surroundings. That’s why he was more productive at night, when the world was sleeping and quiet, when he could hear himself better and turn that into lyrics or music notes.

That night he wasn’t alone like he was normally and he wasn’t inside his bedroom, lying on his bed, two pillows behind his back. That night he was inside Rin’s apartment, lying on the floor, back leaning against her bed. He wasn’t alone. She was beside him a few steps away, sitting in the middle of the room, her eyes on the laptop she used for work.

Even if he wasn’t in his usual moment of solitude, he was inspired. He was lost in his own world of creativity oblivious to her eyes now on him.

Rin was also lost. She wasn’t inside his world of creativity but she was also admiring something else breathtaking – him.

She sipped her coffee, watching him carefully, the way his expression changed while he tried different changes he made to the melody only he could hear thanks to his headphones.

Rin could point out the exact moment he liked some of the changes because his eyes would shine and he would smile slightly, a warm glow coming from it enough to warm her.

Jonghyun was smiling not only because he was doing art but also because he felt at peace. There is a sweet satisfying taste when we achieve a goal.

However, she wasn’t at peace, and she wanted to tell him that, to search for comfort in his arms and yet she wasn’t sure how to.

Rin opened up her heart to him before, telling him about the internship and he told her that whatever she decided was ok for him. The problem was that she didn’t know what to decide. Yes, two days ago she told her mother that she would do it, accepting the deal they made, but now she wasn’t sure anymore.

It wasn’t as if she didn’t trust him. She didn’t trust herself instead. She knew how insecure Lillie was all the time, now that she was so far away from Jinki. How she cried on the phone to her about how out from his life she felt, how dating him was more like a dream now than reality, how she was afraid to share her worries with Jinki because she didn’t want to sadden him, to make him feel impotent about comforting her, to weight him down.

Rin was scared to leave South Korea and she was afraid to share her worries with Jonghyun. She wasn’t much different from Lillie, hiding her feelings, creating a trench between them.

Oblivious to that crack in their relationship, Jonghyun grinned proud of himself and his creation and his eyes fell on Rin.

At first she was confused with the way his expression changed. He wasn’t smiling any more, instead he seemed worried. Jonghyun took off his headphones and kneeled on the floor, approaching her.

“Why are you crying?” She blinked her eyes, finally feeling the hot tears fall down her cheeks.

She rose one hand to clear them but he was quicker, pulling her to his arms giving her what she wanted since the start.

“I wish this would never end.” She said against his sweater, hugging him back.

“What do you mean? Why would it end?”

She could go on with her promise and hope for her mother to accept Jonghyun after Tokyo Dome or she could simply give up on the promise and forget about her mother and go against her.

“My mother…she is a part of me…like your family is a part of you.”

He caressed her back, everything clear to him now.

“I’m sorry. I’ll do my best at Tokyo Dome. For me, for SHINee and for you…I promise!”

It wasn’t that simple and she probably should tell him but instead she hugged him strongly closing her eyes and smiling bitterly because he was now singing to her as if it was his fault that they were in that situation. That made her feel even worse.

You’re still struggling, I’m so awful

Sorry, I’m so sorry

You’re struggling a lot, am I the only one okay?

I’ll still apologize irresponsibly

I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m fine now, I’m sorry

I’m sorry, I’m really sorry, I am sorry, I’m sorry

 

2d2c4l0.jpg

 

Rin was anxious. Normally when she felt like that she tried to keep herself busy. If her muscles were moving than it was as if she could shake off that poison called anxiety. However this time it wasn’t working.

Her sister was planning the trip to Japan, Jonghyun was practicing for Tokyo Dome diligently everyday and even recording Blue Night for the days he would miss it and her mother started packing already. She was the only one stuck in a limbo still not packing even though she was sure that even if her mother didn’t go to Japan she would go anyway.

That afternoon she called Minseo and asked her out for a cup of coffee but she was busy at college and Rin found herself without anyone to talk with.

There was however one person that she could meet, someone that texted her that week asking her out for a fake date and of course one that she said no to.

That was the reason Rin met with Dojoon that afternoon. She was feeling lonely and he was a nice guy and met with her. Of course Rin let him take a picture with her so he could send to his mother “by mistake”.

Although she met with him to have someone to talk with she wasn’t talking at all or even drinking her coffee so Dojoon was the one doing all the talking.

“…and now that I practically told you all about my week and you pretended to listen to it, are you going to tell me why you decided to meet me or not? I think you were very clear about the fact that you wouldn’t date me.”

“We can be friends right?”

“I don’t become friends with women I don’t sleep with.”

Rin completely ignored his comment and Dojoon laughed “It was a joke. I avoid being friends with those. Women can’t get over me easily after I sleep with them.”

Rin also ignored that comment and he sighed.

“I’m dying of boredom here. It’s clear as day you need someone to talk with and everyone is busy…your boyfriend is busy.”

“He is preparing for a big concert in Japan.”

“I knew it.”

Rin grabbed her cup of coffee and slowly, very slowly, she decided to open up to him. He also had a troublesome mother after all. She told him about her mother not accepting her relationship with Jonghyun, about the deal she made with her and about how she wasn’t sure if she could do it.

“What are you afraid? That he cheats on you? “

“No. I’m sure he won’t.”

“Then?”

Rin thought about Lillie and how much of Jinki’s life she was missing by just being away from him. How they went from speaking on the phone every day to do it once a week.

She told him that and Dojoon nodded his head.

“I’m afraid of time and distance. Of what it does to relationships. What if slowly his heart starts to change…or things in his life change and I’m not here to pick up the pieces?”

“Shouldn’t he be the one who should worry more? You are going to another country and you will go through a lot of new experiences that might change your way of seeing things. If I was him I would be more worried. Is he worried?”

“No. That is the thing. He doesn’t seem to care, which is sweet but…”

“He trusts you. He trusts what you two have.” Dojoon smiled finishing his expresso “He is a great guy and seriously I don’t get why you are scared. You said you would fight for him and here you are crying over a stupid trip. It’s not the same as your friend that is going through family problems and has no idea when she will be back. You can come back on your break Rin. You can share good experiences with each other and I’m sure five months is nothing if you two love each other.”

Rin felt a little embarrassed now, after all he said to her.

“What is five months compared with a lifetime of regrets?” Dojoon said “I totally should write a book about relationships!”

He grabbed her cup of coffee and decided to drink it for her.

 

2d2c4l0.jpg

 

Jules sat over Lillie’s bed and Rin did the same, observing her surroundings. Her things were still all over the place and Jules didn’t touch anything. It was as if it was a Lillie’s sanctuary.

Once in a while the girls still met and talked inside her bedroom so it would feel as if she was there too. That night Minseo left earlier so they were both alone now drinking soju.

Jules served Rin more and gave the glass back to her. Rin was trying really hard not to drink the whole night but apparently Jules noticed it and she wasn’t going to be the only one drinking.

“Drinking a little bit is ok.” Jules said her eyes on Onew’s poster over Lillie’s desk.

“That is one of her favorites; she used to talk with it all the time. Scolding that dubu leader.” Jules chuckled her smile slowly disappearing.

“Things between her and Jinki are weird. She complained to me….I wish I could help but no one can.”

Rin sighed drinking the alcohol in one go, the taste making her frown, and she reached for the soju bottle again surprising Jules that didn’t stop her.

“But I’m sure they will be ok. They love each other so in the end they will find a solution.” Jules said trying to lift the mood  “Look at me believing in true love and fairytales.” She raised the glass to the picture of Lillie and Onew over her desk “It’s all thanks to pabo romantic Lillie!”

Rin didn’t say anything still thinking about her situation.

“By the way I told Kibum you were here. He is with Jonghyun practicing so maybe they will come by.”

Rin nodded her head and Jules frowned.” You are so damn quiet. Is it because of what we discussed with Minseo? About me advising her to hook up with Taemin?”

“No not at all.”

“Because if anyone can date that awkward man it’s her for sure. I mean she is all sugary sweet and at the same time can make anyone feel at home. No wonder she befriend Lillie so quickly and let’s be real, Taemin is a shy mess like Lillie most of the times. They even blink their eyes like two idiots when they are nervous.”

“I never noticed that.” Rin said honestly playing with her glass.

“Yeah…I have good eye for this things. I hook up Lillie with Jinki. I’m the best matchmaking person in the story of Korea and I’m a foreigner. ”

Rin chuckled and Jules drank her glass of soju.

“Anyway what’s up?” Jules asked again and Rin was sure that she wouldn’t give up until she told her, however the bell rang saving her.

It was her prince that arrived to save her.

They both stepped into the living room and Jules opened the door for the two men.

She immediately fell into Kibum’s arms in such a romantic and bold way that Rin blushed only by seeing it. Maybe it was because she was a foreigner or maybe it was due to her carefree personality. Either way Rin only gave Jonghyun a short nod and he grabbed her hand gently, squeezing it. She was never able to be so open about her feelings and he didn’t seem to mind now. There was a time he did and yet now he accepted her like that. Jonghyun was that amazing.

He looked around the place and then back at Jules “I’ve been here before!”

His comment made everyone freeze and all eyes fell on Kibum.

He only shrugged “I know that you kissed Jules. It’s ok. The past is the past!”

“He is incredible right?!” Jules said hugging him again and giving him a smooch.

Kibum tried to pull her away since it was clear that Jules was tipsy.

That was the cue Rin and Jonghyun needed so they could leave the couple and they said their goodbyes and left, leaving Kibum with a very desperate for skinship Jules.

It was a silent walk to his car and even after he turned the engine on she didn’t say much searching for his hand instead, for his warmth.

“What do you want to do?” He asked gently “Lately I’m the worst of boyfriends. Always practicing and never having time to be with you.”

“It’s late.” It was really late, past 3 am already.

“Yes.” He truly seemed apologetically towards her “Maybe we can go somewhere for a walk…lets go to the Han River?”

She didn’t say no to him and later they were both outside alone, walking beside the river in silence admiring the night sky and the few stars that could be seen.

It was a good idea. He liked the night and preferred that silent walk to going to a bar or somewhere more crowded and illuminated.

However Rin was quiet and he wondered if she preferred something else after all; or maybe she was just worried. Lately she was stressed and he knew it. There wasn’t much he could do besides staying by her side. It wasn’t as if he could make decisions for her. He didn’t have that right.

“I made a deal with my mom.” She said suddenly stopping in the middle of the sidewalk. “She will only go to Tokyo Dome see you sing if I go to London for the internship.”

He did suspect something like that, after that night she cried in his arms. “I’m sorry. It’s not fair to you what she is doing.”

“I’m not sure if I should go with it.”

“That’s what is worrying you lately right? Aigo…” He pulled her closer to him “What did you decide to do? Did you make a decision already?”

She couldn’t tear her eyes away from his since it made her feel safe as if all her worries were dissipating and suddenly it was clear to her what she had to do.

“Dojoon said that I should do everything to be with you. That I am a fighter.”

“Why Dojoon why….” Jonghyun didn’t finish his question because Rin hugged him.

“I think he is right! I’m going to do that internship and come back to you. Anything to prove my mother and myself that what we have is for real. “

“Why do you have to prove it to yourself and why Dojoon?” He asked again feeling a little upset about the mention of that man “Did you two go out?”

Rin looked at him innocently and Jonghyun had to take a deep breath to calm down.

“We only went out for coffee because I needed to talk with someone. Lillie is away, Minseo was busy and you too. So…”

“So you meet Mister I’m y and I know it?”

“Yes and he is right.” Rin caressed Jonghyun’s face.

Even if Jonghyun hated to admit it he was. And if he gave Rin the push she needed to make a decision and get out of that limbo she was, then he needed to thank him.

“Yes…he is right!”

 
2d2c4l0.jpg
 

Rin placed her mother’s bag beside her bed and watched happily at how her mother walked around the bedroom until she peeked outside the window and Tokyo Dome.

“It has an interesting view for sure.”

Rin smiled because that was the first step on that crazy trip.

“Are you sure you will be ok here alone?”

Rin was staying with her sister in the room next to her mother. It was basically the same kind of bedroom, with a private bathroom and a small tv. The only difference was the number of beds. Her mother had a king size and Rin’s bedroom had two single beds.

“I’ll be fine. It will be like going on a honeymoon…well without your father. I wonder if he is doing alright.”

“He can still join us. I’m sure I can pay for his flight if he wants.”

“No. No. It’s better this way. We also need to be apart sometimes. It makes you miss each other and that is good.”

Rin didn’t answer to that observation and obviously so. Maybe that trip she was going to do to London was going to have the same effect on her relationship with Jonghyun.

She bid goodbye to her mother and left the bedroom stepping into the corridor where she called Jonghyun to tell him that she arrived.

He didn’t answer so instead Rin entered the kakao chat and sent him a message.

 

I’m here. Close to the Dome. I’m so excited!

 

He answered a few minutes later.

 

I’m sorry I was busy. I prepared a solo. I hope your mother falls for me. Also you probably should cover your mother eyes during Kibum’s.

 

Rin smiled with his answer.

 

Why?

 

Trust me. I saw him rehearse it and even I am in shock.

 

I will. But I will boost about my boyfriend when it’s his time to perform!

 

I’m counting on you!

 

2d2c4l0.jpg

 

There was something magical about a SHINee Concert. It wasn’t only about the music, the amazing performances or the show, it was more than that.

Every shawol felt it deep inside their hearts, that connection with everyone in the room including with the artists. It was something unique that they couldn’t feel anywhere else.

Rin couldn’t see Ria since she wasn’t next to her during the concert but she could see her mother just beside her. She wasn’t a shawol but even her eyes were shining, the beautiful pearlescent aqua blue color illuminating her, the shawols fan chants warming her heart.

Rin was sure her mother was enjoying the concert as much as she was and when Jonghyun stepped into the stage alone to perform neither her neither Rin could move their eyes away from him.

Rin didn’t notice that since she was too focused on his performance, raising her binoculars to see him better. She was so far away from him and yet she felt so close to him. She knew that he was singing for everyone inside that venue and that also included her. It made her feel special, one of the selected shawols that could experience that moment.

That was why when the concert ended and other shawols happily chatted, leaving the venue with their hearts filled with love, and wanting time to go by fast so they could see them the next day; Rin left with a heavy heart.

She needed more, more of SHINee, more of that love, more of Jonghyun. It was silly since she could call him anytime, since he promised to call her once he could after the concert.

“Did you enjoy it?” Ria asked back hugging her mother, suddenly showing up from the middle of the other shawols. “I’m still in cloud nine. I’m so sad we won’t be able to go to the concert tomorrow.”

“One is enough.” Their mother said and yet her eyes were still on the door from where they left the concert.

“Did you enjoy it?” Ria asked again, doing what Rin was too afraid to do.

Rin’s mother looked from her youngest daughter to her oldest one and then pointed at the road in front. “We should go out and eat. We can talk about it during dinner. I’m famished.”

Rin dropped her head disappointed and Ria wrapped her arm around Rin’s shoulder both pacing after their mother.

Dinner went well with both three women deciding on what they would visit and do the next day. They were all very excited since it was their first time in Japan, well not Ria’s that was there before during a school trip. Still there were so much new things to do and try out.

They were checking a travelling guide book and Rin was attentively flipping through the pages, not because she wanted to find a place to visit with her mother and sister but because there were so many good places to go out on a date. After the concerts, SHINee had some time off there in Japan to rest so Jonghyun invited her to go out with him that day. He didn’t seem to have a plan for their date so Rin decided to do some research on the matter.

“So about the concert…” Both young girls head raised surprised that it was their mother who was bringing the subject up. “I enjoyed it.”

Rin immediately smiled hopefully that that concert made a change of heart on her mother.

“It was something definitely new and they are really good singers and the performances are amazing. Even that one…the pink haired one…”

“Key!” Ria said immediately since he was probably her bias now after that amazing solo performance he did.

“Yes even that…” Rin’s mother cleared “heated performance. I liked it.”

“What about Jonghyun?” Rin asked ignoring the way Ria’s melted into her seat with dreamy eyes thinking about how unfortunate she was that she wasn’t the lucky girl who climbed on stage to sit in front of him.

“He sings really well.” The answer didn’t seem to please Rin like it should.

“Did it change your idea about him?”

“He truly seems to be serious about his work and the way he cried in the end…I can sense he is honest about what he feels and does, and he seems to have a strong bond with the other boys. I respect him.”

Respect was good. It was definitely good but…

“So…?”

“The fact that I appreciate his hardworking personality doesn’t mean he is good enough to be with you. I mean he is an idol. Will he be able to protect you? Will he throw everything away for you? Will he do sacrifices for you?”

Rin looked dumbfounded at her mother. “Why would he sacrifice anything from me?!”

“Because I’m not giving my little girl away to someone who can’t properly take care of her.”

“Mom!” Ria intervened “Rin can take care of herself. She has been living alone for a while now…”

“A marriage is something serious. What will she do when she is left alone with a baby to take care and that idol is out there giving concerts completely ignoring her?”

Rin let herself sunk in her seat. Apparently nothing much changed to her mother. She still had the opinion that Jonghyun wasn’t the right one for her and now was even worse because she knew how music was important to him.

“This is ridiculous!” Ria said defending her sister that apparently lost all her will to say anything “If she married one of the rich bachelors you want her to marry he would also be away from days taking care of business and cheating on her. You know this is true mom, don’t even deny it. At least by marrying Jonghyun she will be marrying someone that cares for her that loves her.”

Rin stood up and grabbed her bag “My head hurts. I’m going back to the hotel to sleep.”

None stopped Rin from leaving but Ria crossed her arms over her chest clearly upset with her mother. “You should be happy mom, because you raised two daughters that value feelings over material things. That should be the most important here.”

Rin’s mother grabbed the guide from over the table. It was open on a page with romantic parks to visit with a boyfriend.

One thing was right, she never saw her daughter being serious about someone like she was about that man. And if he was as serious about Rin as he seemed to be about music then he truly loved her daughter.

 

2d2c4l0.jpg

 

Like the moon lover that Jonghyun was, that night he was at the window of SHINee’s Japan dorm watching the stars.

After their last concert at Tokyo Dome and after cleaning up and eating they were now back at the dorm to rest. While the others were busy with their own affairs, Jonghyun stopped by the window of the living room, admired the way the moon shined that night, looking like a giant pearl in the sky.

Rin came immediately to his thoughts and he smiled remembering how they talked about her being the moon. He barely spoke to her that day but he knew she was out having fun with her mother and sister, walking around the city.

Somewhere in a hotel from that city, she was maybe also looking at the same moon and thinking about the same things he was. That thought was comforting and Jonghyun grabbed the towel he had around his neck and cleaned his wet hair with it, some small droplets of water fell from it down his bare chest and back, running down his body making him shiver.

Jonghyun was still lost in his thoughts when he felt something hit his back.

He turned around to see a pillow that someone threw at him on the floor “Ya!”

“Ya!” Minho screamed back turning on the light of the living room and propelling himself on the couch only in his underwear, just like Jonghyun, with his feet over the table “I know you are filming a cf, here by yourself, bathing yourself in the moonlight but I want to watch tv.”

Jonghyun grabbed the pillow from the floor “I wasn’t filming a cf!”

“It was a full mv!” Kibum joined the teasing, entering the room with his cellphone in his hand and a beer. He pushed Minho’s legs away from the couch and sat on it, wearing his grey pajamas “I know we are only celebrating the success of the concerts tomorrow but I’m also celebrating it in my way tonight.”

He opened the can of beer and started drinking it, his eyes on his phone.

“You will be all swollen tomorrow!” Jonghyun warned and Kibum just shrugged his shoulder. “No more than Taemin that is eating all the snacks in the house.”

“I’m not!” Taemin came from his bedroom holding a bag of chips “Hyung gave me this!”

“Which one?” Minho asked “Not Souta hyung….He promised to give me some last time!”

Taemin smiled provocatively and opened the package in front of Minho letting him sniff the chips before he sat on the other couch beside him.

“Hum delicious!” He mumbled eating one and Minho moved to take one from the package but Taemin moved it away teasingly.

“Where is the old man?” Kibum asked when Minho finally managed to take some chips from inside the bag.

Everyone stared at the door of his bedroom that was locked.

“Sleeping?!” Minho suggested.

“Probably playing a game on his phone.” Kibum joked but they all knew very well what he was doing.

Sulking because Lillie wasn’t there to watch him perform, because she probably didn’t say anything yet. They couldn’t miss his disappointed look when everyone was checking their phones after the concert.

“This is no good!” Jonghyun said suddenly throwing his towel at Taemin that grabbed it and placed it around his shoulders instead. “We are having a pajama party and he needs to be here.”

“Pajama?” Kibum laughed because he was the only one in his pajamas and everyone was in their underwear. They did have those small parties together, normally late at night and with lack of clothes but call it a pajama party was new.

“Yeah you know….those silly parties girls do.” Jonghyun remarked actually a little jealous that girls had that kind of parties and boys didn’t. He knocked at Jinki’s bedroom door and soon a weak answer came from the other side.

“No one is home.”

“Ya!” Jonghyun laughed joining his forehead with the door. “Come outside and stop joking. We have beer.”

“And snacks!” Taemin yelled furrowing his eyebrows because Minho was assaulting his free chips.

“I don’t have a pajama to join the party.” Onew said from the other side making Kibum grin since he was clearly listening to them for a while.

“Kibum take off your pajamas for the old man!” Jonghyun ordered raising one finger at Kibum.

“YA! It’s mine! Why should I?!”

The door of Jinki’s bedroom that he was sharing with Minho opened and he peeked outside “I don’t like Kibum’s pajamas!”

Jonghyun hit his head and then moved his fingers on Jinki’s head as if he was a little kid. “Come on, come party with us.”

Jinki focused his tired eyes on Jonghyun and smiled, that forced smile he always gave when he was crying inside.

“Time passes by quickly when you are having fun. I’m sure someone will can sooner or later.”

Jinki didn’t say anything and stepped outside and into the living room.

Everyone looked at him and Minho shook his head unappreciatively.

“What?” Jinki followed their gaze to his clothes. He was wearing a sleeveless black tank top and shorts. “This is a pajama’s party!”

“You are too dressed!” Minho explained changing the channel of the tv “Get more !”

Jinki laughed  “No on tv or something?!” He covered his chest with his hands “you are not seeing my s!”

“Show me your s hyung! Minho cried cutely laying on the couch over Kibum that pushed him away.

Jinki ignored the disgusting aegyo and pointed at Kibum “He is wearing pajamas…full pajamas…You can barely see his skin!”

Kibum moved his hand in the air cockily “I can dress whatever I like to these parties. You know the rules!”

“Who made those unfair rules?” Jinki asked and Jonghyun patted his back.

“Kibum!”

Kibum drank his beer shrugging his shoulders victoriously and Jinki yanked his tank top over his head, staying only with his shorts.

“Better?”

“Acceptable! Men should bound together !” Minho said and Jinki threw his tank top at him making Taemin laugh.

That was better. When they were all together acting like complete dorks and being noisy, then everything was just like it should be.

Jonghyun was still a bit emotional with all the crying he did a few hours before and he hugged Jinki cutely pulling him to the couch so they could be beside the others.

“Are you going to cry again?” Taemin joked seeing how Jonghyun’s eyes were sparkling.

“No. I’m just happy that we are together. I’m just really happy!” He grabbed Kibum’s beer making him complain and drank a big portion of it. He was probably going to get drunk easily but he didn’t care. He was happy.

“Go pick up more beer!” Minho ordered Taemin kicking him but Taemin didn’t move.

“Why me?”

“Why not? You are the maknae!”

Minho answered back but Kibum punched his shoulder and him and Jinki yelled “GO!”

“AISH!” Minho complained but stood up to go to the kitchen.

“Bring food too!” Jinki asked and Taemin agreed with his request high fiving with him.

Everything was just like usual and Jonghyun liked it.

 

2d2c4l0.jpg

 

Jonghyun could have picked up Rin from her hotel but instead she decided to meet him directly at Inokashira Park.

Both of them never visited that park but Jonghyun heard from some hyungs that it was a park famous for dating.

Surely Rin read about it or heard about it somewhere.

Jonghyun was never the type to go out on dates during the day time but even though they were both lovers of the night, he knew that she also longed for normal dates like her friends had.

That was actually a good choice, for once he didn’t need to be jealous of the other couples dating and they would be in a big space without many people around. They could also walk more relaxed because they weren’t in Korea where more people could recognize him. Still he took his precautions, wearing a hooded sweater and a mask.

Jonghyun arrived early that afternoon since he did his best not to be late. The previous night they stayed up until late drinking beer and eating all the junk food they had inside the house, taking revenge on the diets they had to do for the concerts. That morning, while everyone slept since they didn’t have any schedule and they only had a celebrating dinner later, Jonghyun stood up – he barely slept and planned to nap before the dinner – and got ready to see her.

He didn’t prepare much and he actually felt a little hot even though he wasn’t wearing much and it was cold outside.

He waited patiently outside the park watching the couples enter it and checking the map of the park carefully. He smiled noticing that they had the Studio Ghibly museum there. Taemin would love to visit it and Jonghyun hoped that they also had time to visit it. He wasn’t sure if Rin liked animation movies since the last time she almost fell asleep when they watched The rise of the guardians.

Someone wrapped her arms around his body saying a cute and awkward anyong and Jonghyun smiled moving his hands to her hands untangling them so he could turn around.

“Annyeong!” He greeted back cutely grabbing her hands in his. “You look cute!”

“I do?” Rin blushed knowing how long she took to get ready. She decided on her usual  clothes and was almost leaving the hotel room when her sister stopped her and dressed her up with some of her clothes instead.

“Yes…Is this even yours?” Jonghyun asked moving his eyes on her outfit. She was wearing a blue shirt with folded sleeves by her elbows and a white frilled skirt with a brown belt.

“My sister’s. Too obvious?” She frowned losing all the confidence she felt before leaving the hotel.

“No. You should wear more clothes like this.” he raised his hands immediately “I mean, there is nothing wrong with the clothes you normally wear. Just that you look pretty like this too. I also like the lipstick.”

Rin touched her lips briefly now thankful for her sister's intervention.

“What shall we do? I heard there is a zoo here too!”

“I’m actually curious about the Studio Ghibly Museum but whatever you decide is fine for me.”

“Let’s see that then!” She said happily linking her arm with his and both walked inside the park.

Rin seemed to be in such a good mood that Jonghyun tried not to mention her mother much.

They did talk on the phone after the concert, on the night his mother went to it and yet she barely told him what her mother thought of it. She only gave him a superficial report of how it went after the concert. Whatever her mother said, it was clear that she didn’t accept him yet, so his mission to use the concert to persuade her failed.

He tried not to think much about it while they visited the Museum. They were able to have a lot of fun and later they sat in the Straw Hat Café, after waiting in the huge line. While she ordered coffee for herself; Jonghyun preferred Milk tea. Both ate their chocolate parfait while they talked a bit about the concert. They tried to be discrete though since the café was full and Jonghyun was most of the time scared that someone would recognize him. That was also one of the reasons they hurried up and left the café and instead walked back to the park.

They walked without a destination for a while admiring the huge trees and talking about how it would be perfect during spring because of the sakura trees.

He immediately suggested that they should come back during autumn too. He always liked to see the orange leaves falling from the trees and the warmth feeling it normally gives even though the weather is colder, like he loved.

“By Autumn I might be back to Korea already.”

He almost forgot about the internship she was going to do in London.

“Ah. For sure. If it’s only 5 months, I’m sure you will.”

“The sooner I go the sooner I’m back.”

“This will be good!” He said positively, sliding his hand on her arm and grabbing her hand in his, feeling more bold now that they were alone on that side of the park “We can call each other every night and chat like we used to.”

He swing both their hands and turned to her “It’s like going back in time, to the time we met. I’m going to be Jack Frost again and you will be my Moon Girl.” He flashed at her the most beautiful smile and Rin watched him while he laughed walking by her side again, his eyes on the trees around them.

There was once a time that she didn’t believe that anyone could beat her bias Onew with the most beautiful smile. Yet, Jonghyun completely defeated him.

“Ah!” Jonghyun stopped and pointed at a plaque beside one path that followed right through the middle of the trees. “Temple to Benzaiten.” He read and turned to Rin smiling.

“Shall we go?” he suggested not giving her time to answer, both turning in the intersection to the right. “She is the goddess of knowledge, science and…” He made a pause and turned to her “Music and arts! It’s imperative to visit it!”

“I think it’s a good idea.” Rin said doing her best to follow after him since he was now walking faster, excited.

“It is right?! We should pray to her. I hope she blesses me with good inspiration…and the members and our next album!”

“No I don’t mean that. I mean that we can use the chat like we used to!”

He wrapped an arm around her waist and walked slower so they could walk at the same pace “We are going to be alright. We will make it work.”

 

2d2c4l0.jpg

 

In the middle of the Inokashira Park there is a pond where couples ride swan paddle boats.

Jonghyun and Rin stood near it, watching the couples laugh while they paddled, the soft breeze and the activities of the boats making small waves in the water.

“It looks like fun!” He said rubbing his neck and she shook her head slowly.

“There are a lot of couples in it.” He said again watching her bit her lower lip.

“I’m scared of water.” She said finally.

“But you said you wanted to try. That with me you were sure it would work out. Also it’s part of the date you planned.”

“No.” She turned to him, disappointment on her eyes “That was before he told me about the curse.” She looked at the ground grumbling to herself “Stupid Tokyo Guide! It shouldn't be in it…”

“It’s an urban legend. It’s not like it’s a fact!” Jonghyun sighed watching the couples and he felt a little of jealousy of them. He actually wanted to try it out with her.

“Let’s do it!”

She raised her eyes to him and he looked at her with burning passion.

“No! I’m scared!”

She wasn’t scared about the water though and Jonghyun smiled.

“A stupid curse doesn’t scare me at all!”

“Yes but you were who warned me about it. Any couple that rents a boat on the pond breaks up.”

“I’m positive that no pond or cruse can make me break up with you. Besides we didn’t come all the way to Japan to have a date and be a normal couple to stay on the sidelines watching other couples have fun.” Jonghyun grabbed her hand “I’m sure I can paddle like crazy now that I can ride a bike. Let’s go!”

He pulled and Rin resisted a little bit but end up following him.

“What if the curse is true?”

“The only thing breaking up will be this curse.”

She smiled with his answer and followed after him.

A few minutes later they were in the middle of the pond with Jonghyun paddling like crazy and Rin looking at the water around her a little apprehensively.

“Our swan seems to be more sunken then the others.”

“What?” He chuckled holding her hand more firmly. “Its only water. If you fall I’ll save you.”

She looked at him and tried to relax and paddle too since he seemed to be the only one doing everything.

“This is actually fun!”

“It is right?” He was enjoying it a lot. They were in the middle of a park with so many people and yet they were able to be alone in their own world.

“I wonder why this pond has that curse though. I mean look at all these couples?!”

“Well since there are so many there is a higher probability of couples breaking up. That’s why. And it’s always easier to blame the curse for the breaking up.”

Rin nodded her head and Jonghyun smiled cockily. “See? I’m as smart as Jinki.”

“I wasn’t even thinking about that.”

“Well in a way your admiration for him is also a curse for me!”

Rin laughed leaning her head against his shoulder, both stopping to paddle and letting their swan move slowly in the water.

“So you know, Jinki’s feet smelled a lot yesterday night after the concert. He isn’t as perfect as he looks.”

His comment made her laugh and she linked her arm in his, snuggling closer to him “No one is perfect. Also after all he sweats a lot and it was after the concert. I doubt any of you smelled nice after it!”

He agreed with her and she raised her head and gave him a peek on his cheek. “You are close to perfect though.”

“We look like a couple out of a drama!” He remarked paddling a little so the boat wouldn’t hit land.

Jonghyun was right.

That pond wasn’t cursed and they wouldn’t break up because of it.

Yet bad luck was coming their way and there was no escaping it even with his excellent paddling skills.

 

2dumgm.jpg

Ok it's done. I know it's short. I hope you still enjoy it!

Thanks to my beta-reader. 
And thanks to you that are reading this!

Subscribe, upvote and comment! ~