Chapter 15: A Few Steps Forward

My First Love

I searched up neurologist and neurosurgeon stuff. I wrote all I understood. So please forgive me for any wrong info ^^" i just tried to make sense here ^.~

Eomoni: mother
Abeoji: father
Nam Dongsaeng: little brother

……… ………

It was 10:30 at night, and everyone was in their rooms. Yunho had a long day today and he was fast asleep on Jaejoong’s arm right now, who was playing with the sleeping man’s hair and face. Mr and Mrs Jung were getting ready for bed. The workers had finished everything and the house was quiet. The only one wide awake was Changmin.

He was sitting on his bed with his cell phone in his hand. He was waiting patiently for Siwon’s call. The phone didn’t buzz.

‘What am I doing?’ Changmin thought. ‘Why am I foolishly waiting and hoping for something that won’t happen? I’m so stupid! Who waits for a call like this?’

Then he thought about what happened today. That’s what gave him hope. But Changmin didn’t show anything, any kind of strange attitude, lest the love was one-sided. And it was. At least that’s what he thought.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Siwon was a certified physician, but he was still a medical resident. In his second year running, today, he was given the duty of operating as the main surgeon. This was an emergency issue and no other doctor was available. Therefore, he took the burden, and with very little time in hand, he successfully operated a child’s brain and removed a tumour. Siwon had proved himself today that he was worthy of being a successful neurosurgeon. He marked this day as one of the most important days in his life. He couldn't believe it...

Siwon collapsed on his bed. He did it! He couldn’t believe it but he did it! A smile could be seen on his face.

Then he remembered. He shot up and looked at his watch which showed: 10:15

He ran to take a shower. 10 minutes later he came out, fully clean and ready to make a phone-call.

“Siwon! Dinner!”

That was his mother…

He ran out of his room and leaned over the balcony (inside the house) to look at HeeChul waiting downstairs. Their house was a bit smaller than the Jung’s, but he still had to walk quite a bit after a long staircase to reach the dining room.

“Come on Hyung!” HeeChul called.

“HeeChul, ask Eomoni if I can eat up here today,” he screamed to him nam-dongsaeng.

“Alright, wait.”

HeeChul went in and came out with Siwon’s dinner plate. Siwon ran half the stairs down and snatched the plate, running back up to his room and shutting it.

He almost threw the plate on his table and jumped on his bed. He flipped his phone open and searched Changmin’s name.

=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=

Changmin lay down. He put his phone beside him and stared into the ceiling.

*Ringtone: High Time by DBSK*

He jumped back up and grabbed his cellphone. “Siwon…” he whispered. He gulped. He chose, ‘answer’. He brought the phone to his ear.

“Hello…”

“Hello! Changmin?! I’m so sorry!” he began.

“It’s ok! it’s ok!!!” Changmin laughed. “Have you eaten?”

“Uh, no. I just came back home.”

Changmin became worried. “Eh?! Well eat first! You’re probably starving!”

“No! No! I have my plate right here, I’ll talk and eat at the same time.” He brought the plate onto the bed and began eating.

“Why are you so late?” Changmin asked.

He stopped eating. “I totally forgot to tell you!”

Siwon told Changmin his story that he was so proud of. Changmin was very surprised and happy to hear his Siwon succeed in his task.

“That’s GREAT!” Changmin said.

“Haha!” Siwon laughed shyly. “You’re my lucky charm!”

“I am?” Changmin asked.

“Ya! I met you today and then this!”

Changmin bluntly said, “You and Yunho-hyung are the same.”

“How so?”

“Both of you are extremely superstitious.”

“Oh haha,” he laughed. “Maybe so. But it did happen you know… By the way, how is Yunho superstitious?”

“Jaejoong-hyung picks his clothes everyday and ever since the first day, he has been receiving nothing but profits.”

“Oh…wait, who is Jaejoong-hyung?”

“Kim Jaejoong, a year older than me, and the lover of Yunho-hyung.”

“Wow! Yunho fell in love?” he asked, amused as ever. Changmin’s parents wouldn’t be getting any grandchildren if the proportion of men increased at this rate. He wanted to be the next one in.

“Ya. Wait, are you going to meet me everyday now and use me?”

“What?! No!!! I just said it! I don’t know if you are actually my lucky charm or not. I was just joking!” he tried to reason.

Changmin laughed. “I know!”

They talked for about an hour when someone knocked on Siwon’s door.

“Uh, Changmin hold on a sec, someone is knocking,” Siwon said as he got up.

“Ok.”

He pressed ‘hold’ on his phone and went to the doors. He opened it.

“You’re plate, sir.”

“Oh yes, take it please,” he told the worker.

After she left, he resumed talking to Changmin.

Suddenly Changmin looked at the clock. It read 11:45.

“Siwon-hyung! Did you look at the time?!”

“No,” he said and then he looked at his watch. “Oh…we’ve been talking alright…”

“Well, go to sleep! You have to get up tomorrow don’t you?”

“Yeah…but …” he didn’t want to stop talking to Changmin.

“We have talked a lot for one day. It’s good night now,” he said as he lay down.

“Huh…fine, good night-But tomorrow we’re having lunch and you’re not eating anything before that,” Siwon said in a stern tone.

“Hey, just cuz you are older doesn’t mean I’ll listen to you!”

“You will if I make you eat more than you can!”

“You’re too nice Siwon-hyung~ you cannot do that,” Changmin said.

“Try me,” he smirked.

“…Fine I won’t, happy?”

“Very!” Siwon laughed.

“Bye,” Changmin said in a sweet tone.

“…Bye…” Siwon answered. He didn’t notice his heart beating faster than normal.

“You gave me all those excuses that day, remember? About you and Changmin not able to be together…”

“HeeChul?! When did you get in here?!”

HeeChul advanced towards his brother. “Well, you left the door wide open for all of us to listen to you talking to Changmin.”

“Eh?” He looked at the door. It was open after all… “Oh…”

“I heard you first, and then called our parents in.”

“HUH?!” Siwon shouted. “Why would you do that to me!?!”

“They need to know what our big doctor is doing so late at night,” he said he put his elbow on Siwon’s shoulder and leaned. “Don’t worry. They will go to meet Changmin tomorrow.”

“WHAT?!” he shouted louder. He couldn’t believe his ears.

“Ouch!” HeeChul held his ears. “Not so loud!”

Siwon’s mother entered the room with a glass of water in her hand. “You have to drink water Siwon! Oh Lord you are 27 years old now and I still have to remind you this?”

Siwon took the glass of water and stared at her. “Eomoni…”

She smiled. “I think Changmin will be great for you. If I’m right, he told you to check the time, which is why you did check the time and not go on talking.”

Siwon was flustered, “Um, yes.”

“Well, like HeeChul said, I’ll be going tomorrow and-”

“NO EOMONI!”

She was startled at her son’s sudden raise of voice which was rare. “What is it Siwon?”

“Don’t do that! Please! I just began trying to get close to him and if you go tell his parents it’ll all be ruined!” Siwon said desperately.

She sighed. “Alright. If you want to take this one in your hands, then do so.”

“And…Abeoji?” he asked, frightened that maybe his father may not approve.

His mother laughed, “I will convince him.” She poked him in the chest, “Your job is to bring Changmin.”

Siwon smiled a big smile.

~Next Morning~

Changmin’s phone was ringing. It was his message tone.

He fumbled to find it on his bedside table and finally caught the buzzing thing. He got up with half-closed eyes, threatening to shut any moment, and a high level of frustration. He pressed ‘read’.

*Changmin, don’t forget: lunch. 1:00 pm. I’ll wait for you ^^*

Changmin’s face lit up, his eyes were wide open now and his frustration turned to shyness. ‘He’ll wait for me…’

He replied.

*Ok!*

~<3

xD 
What do you think will happen next? Read to find out! 
Thanks and comment please ^^