Y7 • Synesthesia

Y • Y • Y
#taken from Yonghwa's point of view
 
Why do I have a feeling that Yoon has more secrets than what we know now?
 
"Yoon is scary," Yoseob pouts while I put down the plate on the table. I'm just done cooking the simple dinner.
 
"Don't let her hear that," Yesung mumbles. "She is just too mysterious."
 
"I know," I start to eat because I know Yoon is waiting for us in the music room. "What is the thing she just said about psychic thing?"
 
"Synesthesia," Yesung answers. "And I have no idea what it is."
 
"Wait, wait," Yoseob takes out his phone from his pocket and does some movement with his finger. "Let's check it on the internet."
 
"Found it," he murmurs with excitement but then his face turns into a confused expression. "What is this? This can't be real!"
 
I take the phone from him and begin to read the explanation about synesthesia.
 
Synesthesia is a neurologically based condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.
 
People who report such experiences are known as synesthetes.
 
I scroll down the screen with my finger and read the next passage since I don't understand it yet.
 
In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme → color synesthesia or color-graphemic synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored.
 
What? Does it mean there are people who can differentiate things with their 'colors'? Things have auras?
 
Now, I don't believe it.
 
But Yoon did make us curious with the color stuff she mentioned when she's with us.
 
I never thought this kind of thing really exists. How can you look at different numbers in front of your eyes and each number has different colors for you?
 
I'm amazed. Really amazed.
 
"I think Yoon is really unpredictable," Yesung sighs as he leans to the chair. "Absolute pitch, heterochromia iridum, synesthesia. What's next?"
 
"What next is I'm going to dismiss the training for tonight if you prefer to talk all night here," Yoon hisses.
 
I almost jumped from my chair because I'm really surprised of her sudden presence.
 
She is leaning to the door, looking at us with her bangs covering the eyes, as usual.
 
I quickly finish my dinner and put the dishes on the wastafel. I rush to the music room with Yesung and Yoseob; both of them have the surprised looks as well.
 
"Now that you know that I'm a synesthetes, you better not lie to me," Yoon speaks after we gathered again in the music room.
 
"Can I ask something?" I dare myself to speak out since I'm really curious.
 
She puts her usual cold smile, "Anything."
 
"Do you just see letters and numbers in different colors or you have another form of synesthesia?" I finally ask the question.
 
"I might perceive certain letters and numbers as different colors. Sometimes I can perceive your moods as different colors as well," Yoon sits in front of the piano.
 
"No question again," she demands. "We're going to continue the training."
 
A moment before she put her fingers on the keys, she paused for seconds, as if something is blocking her from the keys.
 
She clenched her fists before finally starts playing the piano, "Yonghwa, your turn."
 
"Eh?" I blink.
 
I must focus with the training now. I think I can think of her mystery later; I don't want Yoon to snap me for not focusing.
 
After around an hour, Yoon announces that the training is over for tonight. We bow to her, thanking her for the training.
 
Yesung and Yoseob leave the music room, ready to leave Yoon's residence but I'm standing still.
 
I look at Yoon, examining her movement carefully.
 
I feel she has this dangerous atmosphere around her, as if she is telling people that she is building up wall between herself and others.
 
We can't predict her thoughts. We will never know what she actually wants or needs.
 
I know I'm strange, but whenever I look at her, somehow I feel that she is actually feeling lonely.
 
Everyone who lives their life like Yoon will be.
 
Living by herself in a big house. Locking herself from the outsiders. Hiding herself from everyone else.
 
Yet she has the talents everyone wants to have.
 
"Are you going to stand there forever?" she mutters with a smirk. "I'm going to leave."
 
"I'm sorry if I'm asking you too much," I clear my throat. "But can I ask you about something else?"
 
"Try it," Yoon moves her bangs away, showing her beautiful two-colored eyes.
 
"Why do you agree to work with our Presidents?" I clench my fists as I ask the question; I can feel the pressure from her eyes.
 
"I wonder why," she smirks. "I was trying to end my life when they found me."
 
My eyes widen upon her words. What did she just say?
 
"They offered me to hide my existence. They offered me a life beyond my expectations," Yoon steps closer to me. "Knowing that I have this curse inside me."
 
Curse?
 
I notice I shiver when she stops right in front of me.
 
"Don't try to find more about me," she whispers. "Remember, curiosity killed the cat."
 
With that, she leaves the music room, letting me to wander with my own thoughts alone.
 
What is this feeling?
 
She holds something more than we already knew.
 
Something more dangerous.