Y3 • Absolute Pitch

Y • Y • Y

 

#taken from Yesung's point of view
 
I check my watch; it's already 6 PM now. I grab my jacket and rush to the car to meet one of our managers. He is already waiting for me.
 
While we're on our way to Yoon's residence, I can't help myself from thinking about her. Her mysterious personality. Her mysterious behavior.
 
On the top of it, what kind of help that she gave to the presidents of three biggest companies in South Korea? Why do they ask her to train us? What is about her that so special?
 
I've read the contract for five times before I signed it. Just like what Yoon said, the basic rule of the deal is secrecy.
 
I'm not allowed to tell her real name and there is no exception.
 
I'm not allowed to tell anyone about our training and there is no exception as well.
 
I'm not allowed to make a note or documentation while I'm at her residence and, once again, no exception.
 
I'm not allowed to mention her; not even a single person can know about her existence.
 
I bring the contract in my backpack because I need to return the contract to Yoon. I check my watch again; I'm really late and I really need to rearrange my schedule. Ah, blame the dance practice for my lateness.
 
I quickly step out from the car and push the gate. I open the unlocked door and find a folded paper tucked between the doors.
 
"You're late. Meet us upstairs."
 
Weird. How did she know I would be late?
 
I follow her instruction and walk to the stairs. There are three rooms with three different colors: black, gray, and maroon.
 
I walk to the black one because it has a board hanged onto it with "Music" word carved on it. I knock it and open it slowly.
 
Yonghwa and Yoseob have arrived. They are standing next to Yoon who is holding a violin. I step in and close the door behind me.
 
I'm amazed with the room. It is a really big room and there are different musical instruments: piano, violin, cello, guitar, flute, harmonica, drum set, bass, clarinet, saxophone, and more. There are even more than only one instrument for each type.
 
There are three violins; the one Yoon is holding on and the two others are inside a glass box. I see three different colors of guitars on the left side of the room.
 
"You're late," Yoon snaps me back to reality.
 
I bow and apologizes, "I'm sorry. I had a dance..."
 
Before I could even finish my sentence, she cuts in, "No excuse."
 
I clear my throat and walk to Yonghwa and Yoseob. Both of them are smiling to me, trying to cheer me up.
 
Yoon is wearing a black dress and white cardigan tonight. She wears silver-colored high heels. She looks really beautiful, if only she doesn't let her bangs cover her face.
 
"I'm going to hear your voice," Yoon says. "I've heard them from your recordings but I need to hear them in person."
 
She ready to start playing the violin. She looks at Yonghwa, "I'm going to play Don't Say Goodbye."
 
Without waiting for Yonghwa's reply, she starts the melodies. Yonghwa quickly controls his surprise and sings along with the melodies.
 
Yonghwa didn't even finish the refrain when Yoon stops her play. She sighs and shakes her head, "You can't get along with classical instrument, can you?"
 
What's wrong? I think Yonghwa did a great job.
 
"You hit the wrong note on the second line," Yoon tells. "You're not getting along with my speed."
 
Yonghwa doesn't reply and Yoon doesn't wait for him either. She turns to Yoseob, "Your turn. Ready for Shock."
 
Yoseob bites his bottom lip and sings the refrain part of the song when Yoon reaches the refrain part with her violin. Just like what happened to Yonghwa, Yoon stops immediately when they almost finished the refrain.
 
"What?" Yoseob looks frustrated. I don't think he made mistakes either unless the tempo is too slow for Shock.
 
"Too fast," Yoon says simply.
 
"Well it's not supposed to be sung with violin," Yoseob protests.
 
"A music can be played with anything," Yoon hisses. "Note that."
 
She turns to me and ready to play the violin again, "Your turn. Sorry, Sorry."
 
Lucky me, Sorry, Sorry has its ballad version titled Sorry, Sorry Answer. I sing the refrain without difficulties but then she stops suddenly.
 
Did I hit the wrong note? Was my tempo too fast?
 
Yoon puts down the violin, "Too slow. Too high note."
 
"Don't tell me you have absolute pitch?" Yoseob mutters all of a sudden.
 
I turn to look at him.

Yoon smirks and answers, "I never had musical training, you know."
 
What? She never had musical training?  How did she know our songs and our mistakes then?
 
"Is it true that you have absolute pitch?" Yonghwa asks in more polite way.
 
I frown.
 
Absolute pitch, or commonly known as perfect pitch, is an ability to name or reproduce a tone without reference to an external standard. People who have absolute pitch can identify by name individual pitches played on various instruments or even name the pitches of common everyday noises such as car horns.
 
"They told me so," Yoon gives us her cold smile. "Is that matter?"
 
Sure it is. Absolute pitch is not a common case we can find everyday. This is probably one of the reasons why we are sent here to be trained by Yoon.
 
"That's cool," Yoseob looks amazed.
 
To our surprise, her smile has disappeared.
 
"You're not different from others," she moves her head a little, making her eyes are visible to see now.
 
I was not hallucinating last night. She does have two different colored eyes. The one is black and the one is icy blue.
 
Yoon looks at me and says, "You're changing into violet. Are you wondering about my eyes?"
 
Changing into violet? What did she mean?
 
She moves her head again so her bangs are covering her eyes. She smirks and sits in front of the piano now, as if she is ready to play it.
 
"Heterochromia iridum," she says. "You can find out what it is after the training. Now let's start the training."
 
We step closer to the piano and I notice that this room is quite dim. Looks like she doesn't like too bright rooms.
 
"I want you to sing a song without music," she gives us the instruction.
 
Here we go. Our first night training.