Y11 • Alice-in-Wonderland Syndrome

Y • Y • Y
#taken from Yoseob's point of view
 
"AIWS?" I frown, looking at the screen of my phone. "What is that?"
 
It's past midnight and I haven't slept yet. After I returned from the training with Yoon, my mind is wandering somewhere; thanks to Yesung's message.
 
He told me that something happened to Yoon. My manager forbid me to return because I have a schedule tomorrow morning so I just asked him via text messages.
 
Yesung told me that Yonghwa stayed with her after he left due to his schedule as well. So I texted Yonghwa to ask about her condition.
 
But Yonghwa just replied my text message with those four letters: "AIWS".
 
All of the members have drifted away to dreamland. I am feeling sleepy but my curiosity wins over my urge to sleep.
 
I type the letters on the search engine, hoping that something will show up.
 
Something is something indeed.
 
"Alice in Wonderland Syndrome"
 
I click on the top link, reading the explanation about Alice in Wonderland Syndrome, which is obviously the base of AIWS acronym.
 
Alice-in-Wonderland syndrome (AIWS, named after the novel written by Lewis Carroll), also known as Todd's syndrome, is a disorienting neurological condition that affects human perception.
 
What?
 
I scroll down the web page to read the details of AIWS.
 
Signs and symptoms.
 
Eye components are entirely normal. The AIWS is a result of change in perception as opposed to the eyes themselves malfunctioning. 
 
The most prominent and often most disturbing symptom is that of altered body image: the sufferer will find that he is confused as to the size and shape of parts of (or all of) his body.
 
The eyes themselves are normal, but the sufferer 'sees' objects with the wrong size or shape and/or finds that perspective is incorrect. This can mean that people, cars, buildings, etc., look smaller or larger than they should be, or that distances look incorrect; for example a corridor may appear to be very long, or the ground may appear too close.
 
Similar to the lack of spatial perspective, the sufferer also loses a sense of time. That is, time seems to pass very slowly, akin to an LSD experience. The lack of time, and space, perspective thus leads to a distorted sense of velocity, since one is missing the two most important parts of the equation.
 
What kind of condition is this? Is this even real?
 
AIWS is a disturbance of perception rather than a specific physiological change to the body's systems.
 
I close the web page.
 
I'm too scared to read the whole explanation of AIWS. I can feel my body is shivering even though it's not cold at all.
 
It can't be real.
 
How can you see something so different in your eyes when your eyes are perfectly normal?
 
Seeing things bigger or smaller than they are, seeing your own body part altered in size and shape, losing sense of time.
 
People who suffer this syndrome will be crazy for sure.
 
Imagining it is enough to make me scared.
 
But why did Yonghwa give me that kind of message when I was asking about Yoon's condition?
 
No. Don't tell me that Yoon...
 
Absolute pitch and synesthesia are gifts for her. They make her so special.
 
Heterochromia iridum is strange but I personally think it's cool because she has two colored eyes.
 
But AIWS...
 
"Because there is always a price for everything."
 
Suddenly Yoon's words cross my mind.
 
"Even though someone like Alice does exist?"
 
Alice.
 
Alice came down a really long tunnel before she arrived at the Wonderland. She saw things bigger and smaller in the Wonderland.
 
Sometimes Yoon stopped her movement all of a sudden as if she wasn't sure that the things were there, right in front of her.
 
No...
 
Yoon was reffering Alice as herself?
 
Because she is suffering AIWS?
 
I clench my fists.
 
How can a girl like her suffer like this?
 
Is this the reason why she is being an anti-social?
 
Is this the price for her gifts?