Christmas Day

Day By Day

Christmas Day - Roy Kim

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
25/12/14

    “Let’s put up a Christmas tree,” Taeyeon had said. 

Jessica had remembered very clearly that she was against the idea, as a tree would take up space, and they were generally expensive, and she never really even celebrated Christmas. So, with all the resistance she put up, why was there a Christmas tree in her living room?
“Taeyeon, do we really have to do this?” she cringed.

“Oh come on Sica, let go and have some fun,” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.
“But I’m not even Christian.”

“Neither am I honey. Please?” those puppy dog eyes, she could never resist them.
“Fine,” she sighed. 

“Thanks baby! I love you!” Taeyeon smiled as she jumped up and kissed Jessica on the cheek. 

I really need to be more assertive,” Jessica sighed once more, smiling at the excitement of her lover. “At least she’s happy.”

    “Sicababy, stop standing there and help me get this box,” called Taeyeon as she struggled to hold a big box overflowing with tree ornaments, tinsel and what not. She simply took the box and pushed it across the floor over to the tree.
“Oh. That works too,” said Taeyeon sheepishly. Jessica laughed.

    While Jessica draped the tree with the red tinsel from the box, Taeyeon was hard at work on the table.
“Taeng what are you doing?”
Taeyeon looked up and grinned, “I don’t want to use the star, so I’m making an angel.”
“There’s an angel in the box though.”

“No I don’t want that one, I’m making my angel,” Taeyeon was firm in her decision. 

There was a small silence as Taeyeon went back to work and Jessica watched quietly.
“It’s you,” Taeyeon said proudly as she continued drawing and colouring. She knew she had made Jessica blush, hence the lack of response.
When Jessica had pulled herself together, she did something Taeyeon didn’t expect her to do, “well if I’m your angel, you’re mine. We can have two angels.”
It was Taeyeon’s turn to blush. Jessica took a sheet of paper and began drawing. Taeyeon was unsure of how to react, for once, she was the one lost for words.
     “Oh hey look it’s snowing,” Jessica said as she looked out the window.
Looking up, Taeyeon saw that it indeed was snowing, “The first snow! Let’s go out Sica!” she said, standing up and grabbing her coat. Jessica looked at the angels they were making, and then at Taeyeon.

“What about the angels? she asked.
“We can finish them when we get back,” Taeyeon said as she held her hand out to Jessica.

“All right, let me get my jacket.”
    Jessica and Taeyeon walked out hand in hand, marvelling at the white crystals falling slowly to the ground.
“Isn’t that the jacket you were wearing when we first spoke?” Taeyeon pointed out.
“Yeah, I might throw it away soon, it’s getting pretty old.”
“NO DON’T!” Taeyeon exclaimed, almost frantically.

“I mean,” she cleared , “can I have it? It smells nice, like you.”

“Oh uhm,” Jessica blushed, “sure, if I can have yours.”
“Really?!” beaming, Taeyeon stopped.
“Yup,” Jessica took off her coat, “hurry up, give me yours, it’s cold.”
Taeyeon hurriedly took off her own jacket, and put on Jessica’s as Jessica put on hers.

“Why do you want it anyway? Other than it smelling like me,” asked Jessica as they continued walking.

“It feels like a constant hug from you,” Taeyeon replied, almost sadly.
Jessica suddenly felt bad, realising that she hadn’t actually initiated any skinship ever before. She stopped, letting Taeyeon walk forward, and then wrapped her arms around the girl.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered.
Taeyeon smiled, “it’s okay, I understand.”

Turning around to face Jessica, Taeyeon returned the hug. Jessica looked into her eyes, noticing that they were slightly watering.
“Please don’t cry, you know how I am when people cry,” she said worriedly. When Taeyeon didn't respond, she cupped her face, looking into her eyes once again, and kissed her. Their eyes closed slowly, as Jessica took control of the kiss, something that Taeyeon was used to doing. Their lips moved against each other’s steadily.
    When they broke away, Taeyeon’s face was slightly damp, as she had cried a little. Jessica, on the other hand, was red, embarrassed at her sudden dominance, and afraid that she had made Taeyeon cry.
“Oh no no no no don’t cry Taeyeon,” she pleaded anxiously.
“It’s fine, I’m fine,” Taeyeon grabbed her hand. 

“Then why were you crying?” Jessica was still not reassured.
“Because you kissed me.”

“What? Should I not kiss you anymore?”
“No! That’s not what I meant!”

“I’m confused.”
“I mean, I always have to initiate kisses and stuff, I’m happy that you started it this time.”
“Hold on, stop for a bit,” Jessica held her in place.
“What why? Are you going to kiss me again?”
“Hmm, maybe.”
Jessica had noticed a bit of snow on the tip of Taeyeon’s nose.
“Okay, don’t move.”

“Sica what is it, is there a spider? I hate spiders.”
Saying nothing, Jessica leaned closer, and Taeyeon closed her eyes, preparing for a kiss. Instead, she felt something wet on her nose. Opening her eyes, all she saw was Jessica grinning.
“What was that?” Taeyeon was confused.
“There was some snow on your nose.”

Putting the pieces together, Taeyeon figured out what happened, “Did you it off?”
Her question was answered when Jessica simply smiled and walked away. She ran up to her and slid her hand in to Jessica’s. 

“You’re so sweet today.”
“Well think yourself lucky, baby.”

Taeyeon felt her heart swell when she heard those words, and, for the second time that day, they kissed as the snow fell.

    The sun was setting, a thin white blanket of snow covered the ground, Jessica and Taeyeon were walking back. Taeyeon swung their hands around and Jessica felt a sense of peace fall upon her like a breeze of warm air.
“Sica?”

“Hmm?”

“I like it when you call me baby,” Taeyeon confessed.

“Hmm well, I’ll call you baby for the rest of our lives if you stop teasing me.”

Taeyeon thought about this for a while, “that’s a tempting offer, but I like seeing you blush more than I like you calling me baby.”
“You’re evil,” Jessica pouted.

“You’re so cute when you pout.”

“I’m not cute, you are.”
“There you go again with your inability to accept compliments. But thank you for calling me cute. See? I just accepted your compliment why can’t y-“
“I’m sorry babyyyyy~” Jessica whined and pouted. 

“Oh god that was so cute. And very uncharacteristic of you. I wanna record that.”

“Drastic times call for drastic measures. And no.”

“Aw you’re no fun,” Taeyeon frowned.
    Jessica unwrapped her present. It was a leather bound book with no title or author. She looked at Taeyeon. Taeyeon said noting, and only gestured for her to open the book. She flipped the book to a random page, somewhere in the middle.
“18. When she hides her hands in her sleeves”

When Jessica went back to the first page, it explained the sentence. “What I love about Jessica Jung, by Kim Taeyeon.” She raised an eyebrow.

“Oh just read it,” huffed Taeyeon.
“Okay okay,” Jessica turned back to the book.
    “1. Her hair. 

    2. Her eyes when she smiles
    3. The callouses on the tips of her fingers.”

“The callouses on my fingers? What?”
“Well, yeah, I like rubbing them, oh, I don’t know.”
“Is that what you always do when we hold hands?”
“Yes. Now keep reading,” Taeyeon was blushing.
    “4. When she blushes.
    5. How she fidgets when she’s nervous

    6. Her love for blanket nests and forts”

My love for blanket nests and forts?”
“Shut up.”

    “7. When I wake up and she’s making coffee.
    8. Her patience.
    9. The way she looks at me when she thinks I’m asleep.
    10. When she sings for me.
    11. When she kisses me and it feels like she’s telling me to never let go (I won’t, don’t 
          worry)
    12. When she trips over her own feet or for absolutely no reason.
    13. At night, when she hugs me while she sleeps.
    14. The ways she wakes up in the morning.
    15. How she expresses herself through music rather than words.
    16. The few moments when she lets me read her heart.
    17. When she told me she felt safe in my arms.
    18. When she hides her hands in her sleeves.
    19. When she blushes every time after we kiss
    20. The way she quietly swears.”

Jessica raised her eyebrow and looked at Taeyeon, “the way I quietly swear?”
“Well y’know, like when you say things like ‘’ and ‘’ under your breath, I think it’s really cute.”
“As a teacher you should not be condoning the use of vulgarities.”
“Shut the up baby.”
“Shush I’m trying to read here.”
“I hate you.”
“Oh, but this book says otherwise.”

    “21. When she hugs me and holds me like I am the most important thing in the 
          world.”

“But you are the most important thing in the world,” Jessica said with sincerity.
“Okay now I feel really bad for saying I hate you.”
“It hurts, Taeyeon.”
“Oh come here,” she rolled her eyes as she stretched her arms out to offer her a hug.  Jessica closed the book and leaned into Taeyeon’s arms, enjoying the warmth of her sweater and scarf, and taking in the smell of gingerbread and warm milk that floated around the house. As she set the book down on the floor, she turned her head and closed her eyes, turning her head to meet Taeyeon’s in an innocent kiss.
“Aren’t you going to keep reading?” Taeyeon asked.
“I’ll read it in the morning, while I watch you sleep.”
“You know, that sounds really creepy.”
“Mmm you know what I mean,” Jessica leaned further back into Taeyeon’s arms and stretched out, retracting her limbs back into a foetal position as she snuggled into Taeyeon’s neck.“Do you want to go to bed now?” her hair affectionately, Taeyeon whispered. With a silent nod Jessica let herself be carried into the  bedroom, where she was tucked in by Taeyeon and where she fell asleep after a soft kiss on the forehead.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
christmas special????

i guess

its still christmas somewhere right