십삼 Baby Maybe

Day By Day

Baby Maybe - Girls' Generation

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
13/2/14

 

    Jessica had heard of this day before, “Valentine’s Day”. She’d seen people make fools of themselves on this day in high school, on campus, everywhere. She often scoffed at them, but deep down inside, she longed for someone who would make sappy love confessions for her, perhaps present to her a singular, thornless, red rose, and maybe someone who would love her.

    Traditionally, (for her anyway) Valentine’s Day was spent finishing off assignments and studying for tests she knew she would pass, and also floundering about on the internet. This year it was different. Everything was different this year. 

    Since she met Taeyeon everything was different.

    Yuri said she was smiling more. Was she really? She stood in front of the mirror, observing her face. She thought of Taeyeon. And there it was. A smile on her face.

    Was this love? Could she really define this feeling as such? She had never experienced this before, she might have been knowledgeable about everything under the sun, dinosaurs included, but the simple thought of love and human emotions confused her to the point tears.

    But tomorrow would be Valentine’s Day. Taeyeon would do something for her, she knew it. It seemed to be common courtesy to give a gift to her, after all, they were dating. She trudged down the street, deep in thought. The snow had melted long ago. The weather was warming up slightly.

    She thought of roses. Taeyeon would like roses, wouldn’t she? But it was still too cold; roses would be extremely expensive. What could she do, then? Paint a rose? She couldn’t draw. She walked past an art store. Maybe she could make a paper rose.

    Entering the store, she headed toward the paper section. Previous visits to the store reminded her of the beautifully textured washi paper she often came in just to look at, but never bought because she knew she wouldn’t have had a reason to fold anything. Well this was a reason, wasn’t it?

    A good few moments were spent simply admiring the paper. Jessica couldn’t help it. beautiful things always managed to distract her. Beautiful things like music, art, the ocean, the unadulterated night sky, and Kim Taeyeon.

    Her fingers creased and pressed the pale red paper, her entire body devoted to the single goal of making the perfect rose. How long she sat there, she had no idea. One hour, perhaps? It was excusable; this rose was for Taeyeon, after all. 

    She sat alone at the table, in her empty house. With her fingers, she twirled the rose in her hand. It didn’t seem to be enough. Taking a fine pen, she wrote a small message, call it a free verse couplet, if you will.

    The day was nearing its end. Tomorrow, she would see Taeyeon as soon as she could.

————————
14/2/14

    When she resolved to see Taeyeon ‘as soon as she could’, she did not imagine that she would be outside her door this early; it wasn’t even ten yet. Her hands shook as she fiddled with the small red box in her hand. With the same shaky hands, she presses the doorbell.
“J-Jessica? Why are you up so early?” Taeyeon yawned as she ran her fingers through her untidy hair. It seemed she had just woken up.
“Um…well…to uh…see you?” Jessica felt herself break out into a cold sweat.
Taeyeon looked down at Jessica’s trembling hands and saw the red box, “well, come in,” she smiled, opening the door wider.

    As Taeyeon walked away from the door, Jessica followed her quietly, unsure of what to say and what to do. She stood awkwardly in the middle of the living room; for some reason, she was extremely nervous.
“I’m sorry Sica, but I just woke up and I’m kinda still tired,” Taeyeon said apologetically.
“Oh um, that’s okay, I can cook something if you want?”
“Nah, I’m not that hungry right now. But…if you want…you can join me,” Taeyeon grinned.
Jessica blushed, “uhhhhh…”
“Oh just come here,” laughed Taeyeon as she grabbed Jessica’s wrist and dragged her over to the bedroom. Before they left, Jessica managed to place the box on the table.

    It happened quickly. Jessica was now in Taeyeon’s bed, wrapped in a warm embrace, under the soft quilt. Taeyeon was already asleep.

    And then she realised, a lot of their time together was spent sleeping.

    Oh well. She wasn’t going to complain.

    And as usual, they spent the morning sleeping in the same bed.

    When Jessica woke up, Taeyeon was no longer in the bed, and the apartment was filled with the smell of maple syrup and waffles. Rubbing her eyes as she stepped out of the room, Taeyeon greeted her, “good morning Jessica! Or rather good afternoon, seeing as we slept for quite a while.”
Jessica smiled, “but it was a good sleep.”
“Well, I made breakfast for us,” said Taeyeon as she set down two plates of ordinary waffles drizzled with maple syrup.
“Thanks,” Jessica thanked her before digging in.

    Just like every other day spent with Jessica, Taeyeon felt that time passed way too quickly. She knew it was Valentines’ day, but she also knew that Jessica was already feeling extremely awkward, judging from her behaviour in the morning. And then there was the little red box. Jessica was so unintentionally sweet. 

    Of course, she had a gift for Jessica too.

    They were sitting on the floor, leaning against the sofa, once again in their signature blanket-nest.
“Isn’t it quite strange that we’re always sitting on the floor, even though we have sofas?” Taeyeon asked, tilting her head slightly.
“Hmmm, well, I quite like sitting here in these blankets, don’t you?” Jessica said, looking over at Taeyeon, who had bundled herself into a blanket so the only part of her body that could be seen was her face. Taeyeon nodded.
They sat in a comfortable silence before she broke it.
“I saw that little box you had,” she said quietly.
“Oh uh yeah,” Jessica blushed. “That’s for you, y’know, um Valentine’s day and all.”
“Aw, your such a cutie,” Taeyeon giggled, “I have something for you too, hold on.”
“I’m not a cutie,” Jessica mumbled.
“Yes you are,” Taeyeon scoffed as she stood up, forgot that she was still wrapped in a blanket, and fell.
“Whoops,” she muttered.
Jessica felt herself crack into a smile.

    After recovering from her fall and running (waddling, more like) to her room, Taeyeon returned with a small A5 leather bound notebook (it was a dark red, fittingly enough).
“I took the liberty of filling up the first page for you,” she grinned as she handed the book to Jessica to open. On the first page was a portrait of Jessica, done in black ink.
“Did you…did you draw that?”
“Yup! I mean, why not fill it up with beautiful things?”
“I’m not beautiful.”
“Yes you are. Deny as much as you want, but I beg to differ.”
“Thank you,” Jessica said quietly, rubbing her hands over the smooth leather.
“So what’s in the box?”
“I don’t think it’s as good as what you got me,” she admitted quietly.
“That doesn’t matter. You got me something and you just being here is already a gift in itself.”
Jessica blushes again, and she takes the box from the table and places it in Taeyeon’s hands.

    Inside the box was a single, crisply folded origami rose, the pale red paper was slightly translucent and seemed so fragile.
“This…this is beautiful,” Taeyeon whispered in awe, turning the rose in her hands and examining it closely.
“It’s really not that good.”
“No shut up, Jessica. Stop putting yourself down. This is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen, well, apart from you.”
“I wrote something on it,” Jessica began, “but you can only look at it after I go.”
“Why? Is it a confession? Do you love me yet?” Taeyeon asked playfully. She knew she crossed the line when Jessica remained silent.
“I’m sorry.”
“No, it’s okay. If anything, I should be sorry,” said Jessica as she fiddled with her fingers.

    But all that was awkward and upsetting was put behind them when they cuddled in their little blanket-nest and spent the rest of Valentine’s day in each other’s arms.
“I should go now,” said Jessica as she Taeyeon’s hair, glancing quickly at the clock.
“Well that’s a pity,” Taeyeon frowned.
“I’ll see you soon, you know that,” Jessica grinned.
They got up from the floor and headed to the door after Jessica grabbed her belongings,  "that’s not soon enough.” Taeyeon held the door open, as she stood in front of Jessica who looked at her in silence.

    She leaned forward, pulling Jessica into a hug.
“Happy Valentines’ day,” she whispered, and then gently kissed Jessica on the cheek. She pulled away slightly, and the smile on Jessica’s face made her feel weak in the knees and her heart fluttered. She hugged her again.
“I love you,” she sighed.
Jessica said nothing and buried her face into Taeyeon’s soft hair, hugging her tighter.

    When Jessica left, Taeyeon sat at her dining table and examined the rose again, looking for the words that Jessica said she wrote. The small words were very easy to overlook, but they were still clear. A dizzy smile graced her face as she read the words over and over again.

Since you have unravelled this fragile paper rose,
perhaps you can unveil my heart.

    Of all the Valentines’ days she had had, this was the best of them all.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh god I'm sorry this was so late.

I was so stuck

and then I discovered the wonders of Jeti. (speaking of which here's a fic I started recently: The Rabbit Hole)

soz guys.

but this is extra long

well

longer than usual

i think

1000 and something words.

bye bye