일 Subsonic

Day By Day

Subsonic - Younha
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
25/12/13

Wednesday night had returned, this time under the name of Christmas. The rock bar in which Jessica Jung sang in on a nightly basis was empty, apart from a few lonely souls who had come to drown their sorrows in bottles of alcohol and spirits, and the music which expressed the words they could not form with their drunken mouths. 

    Scanning the crowd, Jessica pitied the state of the bar’s patrons. Except, there was someone who looked very out of place. Sitting near the front of the stage was a youthful looking girl, who couldn't have been more than twenty-one. Her pastel coloured dress and innocent eyes did not belong in a rock bar, why was she here? The girl seemed to be looking at Jessica, nothing more, nothing less. It was quite strange to see someone of that age, a girl more so, alone on a day which should be celebrated with family and friends and loved ones.

How ironic that I should be thinking that,” Jessica smirked at her own hypocrisy. Throughout the rest of the night, the girl remained, despite it being very late. She only left when it was near the end of Jessica’s shift, which was about two in the morning. 

    By the time her shift ended, the only person, apart from her band, left was the bartender and owner, her only real friend, Yuri. 

“See ya, Yul,” she nodded her head in acknowledgement.

“G’night Jess,” Yuri replied.
She simply brushed past her bandmates, not even acknowledging their presence.
“What a frigid ,” she heard.
“Why would you hire her Yuri?” another voice.
“Because I hire whoever the I want, now go home.”

Jessica allowed herself a small smile, “leave it to Yul to back me up,” she thought. 

    Slinging her guitar case over her shoulder, she walked to the convenience store across the road, and bought a small tub of ice cream, cookie dough, to be specific, the only flavour which she could eat for the rest of her life. As she walked out the door, her mind was occupied with thoughts of the strange girl at the bar. She couldn’t remember her face very well. 

I just know that she was beautiful, and that if I were to see her, I would recognise her,” she thought to herself.
And then, “ did I just call someone beautiful? There goes my claim of not paying attention to outward appearance.”

    Her feet had brought her to the park, where she sat down on a bench. She was alone, except for another person, who’s features she couldn’t make out very well, as the person was on the opposite side of the park. The said person got up and began walking towards Jessica, well, in her general direction. Jessica hoped the person wasn’t going to approach and initiate a conversation or any form of communication, because she was not good with people. As the figure got closer, Jessica could make out long hair and a dress. It was the same girl from the bar, walking towards her, holding a tub of ice cream. Jessica’s eyes followed her, praying to God (whom she now believed in) that she would not be disturbed. 

    “Hi,” the girl smiled.
. Now I have to talk. I don’t believe in supreme deities anymore.”

“Um…hey,” Jessica muttered in response.The girl sat down next to her. Jessica flinched slightly at the action. There was no avoiding communication now. She could make up an excuse so she could leave, but that would be rude and she was not prepared for the chance that they would meet again, and the girl would remember her as “that frigid ”.
“Oh hey! You have cookie dough! So do I!”
“Oh..uh yeah. I like cookie dough,” this conversation thing was very hard for Jessica.
“What’s a girl like you doing alone on Christmas day?” the girl asked.
“I could ask the same of you,” she retorted.
“Well I was at a party, but I like listening to you sing.”
“Oh um,” Jessica blushed, “thanks.”
“I’m Kim Taeyeon, what’s your name?”
“Jessica Jung. Or Jung Sooyeon.”
“Well Jessica-ssi, I think you’re really pretty.”
“Um thanks but no I mean I’m not pretty,” Jessica stammered, “NOt that I don’t like you but I uh I don’t do well with strangers Ithinkyou’rereallypretty.” 
After hearing herself, Jessica gritted her teeth and hid her face in her hands.
“,” she whispered quietly, but loud enough so that Taeyeon was able to catch it.
Taeyeon giggled, “I think you’re pretty cute too.”
Jessica’s eyes widened as a red hue spread upon her cheeks.

    As Jessica sat in silent embarrassment, Taeyeon took occasional glances at her, subconsciously smiling as they finished their ice cream. Looking at her watch, which read three a.m, Taeyeon stood up.
“Well, I think it’s time we both left, Jessica-ssi.”
“Huh, oh yeah, um seeya I guess,” Jessica muttered, standing up as well.

“Here, I’ll throw that away for you,” said Taeyeon, holding out a hand for Jessica to place her ice-cream tub in.
“Oh um thanks.”
“Oh wait!” Taeyeon exclaimed, reaching into her pocket, pulling out a crumpled piece of paper and slipping into Jessica’s pocket, “Kay! Bye!” 
Taeyeon walked away, leaving Jessica standing there, who reached into her pocket and smoothened out the the piece of paper.

    “Hello Jessica-ssi ^^  It would make me happy if you would call or text me :)

    But not until we get to know each other better, so I’ll see you after you next shift :D

    -Kim Taeyeon

 

    Oh here’s my number : 97 2874 9109 

    Could we get ice cream sometime?”

Jessica folded the paper and put in back in her pocket. She scoffed a little, it wasn’t the first time she had been given another person’s number. So, why was she entering the number into her phone? Or was it the offer of ice cream?

Probably the ice cream.