Chapter 22

Dear Diary...

Sunggyu

 

I know I can't do much in my state.

I want to get out of this bed that feels more like a prison to me and beat the crap out of the guy that did this to us until he spills everything I want to know out.

But I'm too weak.

So I sent Myungsoo, Dongwoo and Sungjong over to the room where they tied the still unconscious man to a heater. Myungsoo, because in his anger about Sungyeols injury he will do everything to get out the information we need, Dongwoo and Sungjong so he won't kill the guy in the process.

Sungyeol sleeps in his bed, Hoya is in the other room, looking  over Suga and Jimin.

The task Kyuhyun took over in my room.

Woohyun finally fell into a motionless sleep. So close to me that I fear every movement could wake him up. He looks paler by the time, another reason for me to get out of this bed soon. If they can't get information out of him, I can for sure.

I play with Woohyuns black hair, carefully so I won't disturb him, surprised like so often how much I am in love with this stupid guy that runs from one danger to another.

" So... they ed you up quiet a bit." Kyuhyun says from his seat on the couch, next to a sleeping Sungmin.

While there is not a single centimetre of space between Woohyun and me, Sungmin fell asleep as far away from Kyuhyun as possible. I'm not too sure how much this distresses Kyuhyun. He doesn't show it.

" Never will be as ed up as you.", I stop playing with Woohyuns hair and give him my attention. " Why did you come alone?"

" I didn't. My men will be here in a second when I tell them to.", for a second his gaze lingers on Sungmins frame. " I came the right moment I guess."

" You did.", I nod slightly. " Thanks for saving Woohyun and my men. I owe you."

" Never mind. You did enough while... while I wasn't there... while I was acting like an idiot."

" Better late than never."

" I still can't believe... he is here."

I know he wants to reach out for Sungmin. I know that feeling better than anyone else. How much I detest being parted from Woohyun since that day.

" When that Donghae guy appeared and took me to that strange place and I saw Sungmin, walking and breathing... I just couldn't believe it. I thought the stuff I took earlier that day wasn't what the dealer told me. I was in so much agony because I saw his dead body. I was at his funeral. I thought I went crazy. How could you believe so easily?"

Woohyun  moans slightly in his sleep. I wait until he calms down again before I answer.

" Well... in my case the funeral hadn't been held. Before anyone told my anything I saw his empty coffin. I would have gone crazy that second, trust me. But then he stumbled right into the room a minute later."

" I see..."

" And in that moment I would have taken every explanation if it meant having him back."

We keep each other silent company for a while, both lost in thoughts that might aren't that different. I feel strangely close to Kyuhyun all of sudden. The person closets to knowing how I feel.

" Now, now.", he wipes over his suddenly wet eyes. " Let's stop this emotional and get some business done."

Never agreed more with him. We're both not on the emotional talker side.

I reach over to my nightstand and take my notebook where I keep everything inside. I open it slowly and go over every side. " We still don't have that many clues. The Kang family--"

" Out. Paid them a friendly visit. It wasn't them."

" How did you..."

" Please.", he smirks. " You think I can't come up with the same things as you? I know the guys that have something against us. You can also take the Lees form the list. Also Choi and Park."

I do as he says. His steady voice convinces me that he wouldn't tell me this if he wasn't 100 percent sure.

" So, all in all I have three names left in my list. You want to add someone else?"

He shakes his head. " Who are they?"

" Park Moon Ey. Myungsoo and Sungyeol said she could be the one."

" Your Siamese twins?"

I slightly glare at him as he gets up from the couch to stretch his long limbs.

" They said she's a big name in the underworld but I haven't heard her name until now."

" Me neither."

" The second one would be the prosecutor you met in Busan."

" Nice encounter. The third one?"

" My father." I say without much of thinking. Kyuhyun pauses in the middle of the room.

" Why would you suspect your own father?"

" Well... there was this one time he tried to choke Woohyun. And he might have  shot me...once..."

Kyuhyun raises his eyebrow. " And why the are you still staying with him?"

I don't know.

I really don't know.

Father has had drug problems since I can remember. Mom and Sungjong never really noticed and so I also didn't until I really got into business with him. He tends to be choleric, gets angry so easily and on the other side can be so loving. When Woohyun came into my life everything changed for the worse. He could see I was slipping away from him and from business and made Woohyun responsible for it.

One day when we were on a trip we started to discuss. It escalated quickly, he had taken something before and soon I was on the way to hospital. I didn't see him shooting... but he stood behind me...But he was by my side all the time, caring for me and I decided to forget about it, maybe too fast. Until he touched Woohyun. And the idiot I am, that still has emotions and the longing for a father forgave him again. Maybe also because Woohyun asked me to.

It is fine, he had said, that persuasive smile on his face. He didn't mean to.

Would he have said the same if he had known about the shot?

Maybe not...

I should  have been wiser. Instead I just kept two plane tickets in my drawer, because the next time something like this would have happened, I would have taken Woohyun to a far away place.

I should have investigated father earlier. But I thought we had more time... and I had hoped we would easily find out another one is the culprit.

 Now that I look into  Woohyuns pale face I'm scared I made the wrong decision.

It is finally time to find out.

" I will tell you another time."

Kyuhyun doesn't ask any further and I'm thankful for that.

" And you really are sure that you don't want to add anyone to the list?"

" No.  Paid everyone a visit and made sure they weren't the culprit. While you only send out your men and hid somewhere."

Once again, I try to kill him with a glare. " I had to make sure Sungmin and Woohyun were safe while you acted like a dickhead."

He shrugs. " Only fair. Maybe I wouldn't have done it if I had believed in Donghaes words and would have stayed only by Sungmins side... thank god I didn't. You rest a bit more. I will pay the shooter a visit and see if I can help getting some info out of him. He is our best clue now.  You got your gun next to you?"

I nod.

" Kyuhyun?" I say before he leaves the room.

" Yes?"

" Sungmin and Woohyun forgot about their last week before... they...you know.", it is still hard to say. " Is there something out of the ordinary you remember? Woohyun sent me some messages throughout the week but nothing that could help us. They also talked about a dream they both had. Some club they went to."

" I guess the most unusual thing was Sungmin leaving the house a lot. Mostly in the evening. He never did before... Of course I spied on them. They often went to a certain club."

" Can you give me the name."

I give him the pencil from my nightstand and he jots down the name in my notebook.

" Kim?"

I look at him, surprised by the apologetic face.

" I'm sorry. I feel like... I brought all of this over us. But.. when Sungmin said he wants Woohyun by his side I couldn't say no, even if it was selfish as hell. I was the one that took him to the place where he lost his ability to walk. I wanted to make up for it. ", a sudden smile on his face. " But now look at him... he is able to walk again."

" I know.", I smile back and hope he knows I already forgave him. There is no room for hard feelings now.

He leaves the room and I take my mobile.

Time to investigate some things.

 

 

 

Woohyun

 

I open my eyes, see the nothingness in front of me and sigh deeply.

" Oh great..."

" Why the am I back here?" Sungmins grumpy voice next to me. I straighten up. Donghae sits next to us, smiling brightly.

" How are you?"

" Great.", Sungmin hisses. " Why are we here again?"

Donghae shrugs, his cheeks a tiny pink. " I thought... you could take some minutes to relax? You were both sleeping, I thought it would be better now than when you black out in front of everyone again."

Some minutes to relax... how nice that sounds... in between all of this...

" No! Don't do it!" Sungmin yells at me when my shoulders start to shake. I feel sorry but I can't stop the tears anymore. Donghae pats my shoulder. " There there. No need to cry."

" They shot Sungyeol and Sunggyu." I get out between two sobs.

" But they didn't die." Donghae smiles and I bawl only harder.

They leave me until I can gather myself a few minutes later.

" I'm sorry."

" No need to." Donghae hands a tissue to me, no clue where he got it from. " Sometimes you have to let it out."

" Phh..." Sungmin scoffs next to me but I feel his hand on my back so it is fine.

" You must be feeling weaker lately, don't you?", Donghae says. " And I'm not talking about the beating you got. Right now you're fine but you'll have lots of fun when you wake up. I mean... another weak."

I have to admit he is right. I feel really tired lately.

I heavily gulp and speak out the thought that lingers above of us. " The other side... is waiting for us?"

Donghae doesn't have to answer. The sadness in his eyes speaks volumes.

I nod slowly. " If...  it doesn't work out... and we have to leave... will you be there for us?"

" Which won't happen." Sungmin throws in and I smile at him. " Which won't happen."

Donghae shakes his head. " I have to stay here for a bit longer. I am only here for you in this situation, that is my job. Someone else will take you."

Sungmin and I exchange a look and the blonde is the first to address Donghae again. " How did you end up here? Did you come here after you died?"

It seems like he hit the wrong spot with it and to be honest, I would have been a bit more diplomatic and not that direct.

First I don't think Donghae will answer. His features harden, his lips turn into a thin line. Still, he talks after a while. " I committed suicide when I was 29 years old. And apparently this place is where you end up until you reach your destined dying age."

I am deeply shocked after listening to his words. He just shrugs and plays with his fingers, checks out his short nails, averting our gazes.  

" My boyfriend... my best friend. I guess the love of my life. He died of sickness. I really tried to cope with it. But I just couldn't. And I decided to follow him. Seems like I failed.", he takes a deep breath, then another. " Must be the reason I'm so fixated on both of you. You and your loved ones remind me so much of myself and him."

Silence between us. I want to say something to him... anything... but no words seem to fit. Just the thought that I never want Sunggyu to end up here all alone.

 

 

Sungjong

 

Myungsoo actually has a lot of feelings. His stoic face won't give them out all the time and the black haired guy seems to be glad about that.

But right now, there is a lot of rage in his eyes, more than Sungjong ever saw in them and all of it directed at the man that dared to hurt Sungyeol and Sunggyu.

Sungjong really wants to stay, but there is nothing he could tell Myungsoo at the moment, and when the older takes out a small knife he quietly leaves Dongwoo alone with him.

He knows he shouldn't do what he is about to next, but deep down he is still partly a child, not as strong as his brother in a situation like this.

And since not even Hoya can give him enough comfort lately he does what everyone might do.

He finally calls his mother.

" Mom?"

His mother answers the call after a few seconds. " Sungjong?! Where are you?!" She frantically calls into the speaker.

" I'm in Sangju."

" What are you doing there? What happened?! We came back and no one knew where you went! And the funeral... and...some even claimed they saw Woohyun!"

" Mom... please come. Alone."

He still doesn't know why Sunggyu wrote down their fathers name on the list of possible culprits, but he is sure that his brother might have his reasons.

" But..."

" We're in the  hospital."

" You're what?!"

" Just come." And with that he hangs up.