Chapter 17

1 crazy dare + arranged marriage = My crazy life

After some times, Kris finished doing his job and grinned widely to me while he was showing me his catches.

“Nice catches.” I chuckled and gave him two thumbs up. You know what, I thought, the dare that my friends had given should actually be given to Kris since it would be more suitable for him. Instead of making he fell in love with me, I made myself love him. I only liked him before but I’m totally falling for him in attempt to complete the dare. It was very weird if I must tell but that’s the reality!

He and I walked back to where we had left the others and we were surprised to see a bonfire that had been prepared. When we came back, the three of them straightened up and greeted us.

“Well, you see, we can’t just rest when we know that you two are hunting, so we decided to take part too! And TADA!! We are fast, right?” Lucas grinned widely. Kris and I nodded in unison.

“So, c’mon, what are we waiting for? The birds please….” John said and Kris handed them the birds. Kris and I sat next to each other. I thought that actually Kris had been acting so nice to me. I wondered what had happened to him. He wasn’t used to be like this and it did make me surprise a little. Oddly, it was all after the plane crash. Did his head get knocked or what? But anyway, I actually liked this Kris. He wasn’t so sweet and romantic but not as cold hearted as he used to be. If I must say, he became just exactly same as what my type was.

My mind was interrupted by Min’s nudge, “I think it’s good already…” And that was when I realized that I had burnt my bird too long. I immediately pulled it up and the others laughed at my silliness. That successfully made me embarrassed.

Just to add my ‘embarrassing moments’ list, I took a bite of it and my mouth got burnt immediately. I forgot that it was just being roasted just now. The others once again laughed loudly. Okay, this had to be stopped or I would be in a standup comedy before I had known it.

“You are so silly and funny.” John said after he had done laughing. It was only Kris that looked concern to me. Did I just mention ‘concern’? Yes. At least he looked like one.

“Are you okay?” Kris asked and hell yeah, he was concerned. It's a pretty good sign for me.

I nodded my head. It felt so strange but good at the same time. At that time, I was like ‘If it is dream, don’t wake me up.’ But it was real!!

We then ate and decided to lie down for a while.

“We should go now.” I got up and the others nodded their heads. They got up too and as usual, John and Lucas walked at the front, followed by Min, and then Kris and I at the back.

This was actually a rather good experience for me. I had never been in such accident before and this was really the first time. Plus, I had never got lost or trapped or stuck or whatever in such strange and unfamiliar place except in Jeju and for me, it couldn’t be counted as one. I would make this into a book no matter what. And because of this, Kris was actually turned warmer to me and that was actually a good change. I would call this a journey if this could be counted as one of course.

Without we realized, we had been walking for around 3 hours and there was still no sign that the river would meet the end soon. Everyone started to get tired again and so we decided to have a rest for a while.

“Is this really an island?” Kris mumbled but enough for me to hear it.

“What’s the matter?” I asked him.

“I have no idea that this journey or whatever you call this will take such long time.”

“Well- Basically, islands are wide too! We may need days or even weeks… “

“Weeks?” His eyes widen.

I nodded my head, “If the island is very wide…”

“Let’s hope that this one is a small island, I won’t be strong enough to walk ‘till that long.” He said.

“I thought you are a strong guy…” I .

“I am!” He claimed.

“I thought I heard you said-“

“I take back my words.” He interrupted me immediately.

“Words that have been said can’t be taken back.” I chuckled.

“They could if the one who said them were me.” He said cockily. I stuck my tongue out.

“I don’t want to do a French kiss with you.” He said and I swore, my eyes popped out and turned very wide.

“HYAAA!! Who said I want it too?” My tone raised one octave.

“You just stuck your tongue out to me, I thought- “

“ert!” I cut him. He leaned closer to me and Oh God! Did he try to kiss me again? As a reaction, I closed my eyes and waited for his lips landed on mine. But instead of feeling a lip, I heard him say “ert” right to my left ear.

I opened my eyes and turned speechless. It was indeed embarrassing.

“I am not a ert. You stole my first kiss before, so there is a possibility you will do it again since you are a ert.” I emphasized the word ‘are’ to him.

“I am not a ert. It was just to give you a lesson not to tease me again and you still did. Do you want it again?” He raised his brows as if he was being serious.

“No, once is enough.” I immediately said but deep down inside my heart, I couldn’t deny that actually I wanted it. However, I couldn’t possibly say it. It was pretty complicated.

“Guys, let’s continue!” I heard Lucas’ voice.

“Sure…” We said as a reply and got up although actually what we wanted was lying there all day. I had drunk a lot of times and I saw everyone did. Water could be very good and could be called as a ‘savior’ in this kind of situation. I thought we would skip dinner and yes, we did. We couldn’t waste any more time. We got to reach the beach as soon as possible. Usually, after a plane’s accident has happened, the first week has the most intense quest. If we managed to get to the beach in that period of time, there would be a higher possibility for us to be found and survived. However, if we didn’t, we could not hope much and I knew that everyone had known about this.

And our so called ‘journey’ continued.


“When will we reach the beach?” Everybody started to get very tired after walking for days. And even though I was good at this and I still am, I was not an exception. I felt like my bones were not in the right places and yes, I felt exhausted. Oh, I should say, very exhausted.

“I don’t know. I think this is a big island.” I said.

“Oh God... I don’t think I can make it. It feels like there’s something that keeps on pulling my legs. I am really exhausted. I know we eat and drink properly but I guess walking is just not my cup of tea. I used to walk a lot too but this is just too much for me even after all the practices I’ve done.” Lucas said and he sat down under a very big tree.

“I feel that too! This is so frustrating and of course exhausting.” John and Minhee said.

I glanced at Kris but he seemed like he wasn’t in a mood to say anything.

“Then… Do you have any other plans?” I asked. Sadly, nobody did which meant we got to continue this so called ‘journey’.

“Good. Now, get your out and let’s continue this.” I said. Everybody began walking again, but it was clearly written on their faces that their hopes were starting to fade. Little did I realize, Kris had slowed down his pace so he and I walked on the same line.

“Hey.” He tapped me.

I turned to him but I didn’t say a single thing.

“Don’t lose hope, okay? We will reach it.” He said.

“I know. But our time is so limited. We have to reach there in 2 days or else the quest won’t be as intense as before and if that happens, the probability we will be found becomes thinner.” I said with a worry expression on my face.

“I’ve known that. But there is no use to lose faith and being worried, is there?” His words were right. Actually, I hadn’t lost hope and faith but sure, I was feeling worried all of the time.

“Yes. So... Okay, let’s make this fast!” I pumped my fist to air and began to walk quickly. I gave this idea. I should be able to make all of us keep the hope.

John and Lucas looked a little bit shocked seeing me suddenly had walked passing them. And I bet they got more shocked as I said, “C’mon, what are you? A snail? Or are you a tortoise? How could you walk that slow?” My words were a little bit harsh but they were needed. I said sorry in my heart though.

“Why are you all staring at me? Stares on the way and keeps your hope high! We will reach the beach in less than 2 days. So, cheer up!” I tried to give them spirit.

“How can you be so sure?” John asked.

“I’m not. But if you weren’t sure and had no faith, how could you make it? You have to have faith first, believe me, the result will follow your action and your faith.” I said.

They stared at each other, perhaps thinking about my words. But slowly, one by one of them nodded their heads and smiles painted their faces. I heard a clap from behind, from Kris and followed by others.

“Okay, let’s rock and roll!” All of them pumped their fists to air and we began walking faster than usual.

“That was a nice speech.” Kris was suddenly already next to me. This guy… Ckckck.

“It wasn’t a speech.” I laughed.

“Looked like one.” He replied.

“Okay, whatever.” I chuckled and we continued walking.

We had been walking for hours and I was sure that darkness would approach soon. We could see the sun was about to go down and disappear. All of us kept on walking but in just a second, we all froze on our spot.

‘Oh God!’ must be what everybody was thinking at that moment.

Yeah, we just saw the sunset and not only that. We saw it disappear from the horizon. We were so amazed and shocked at the same times. We were very happy until we couldn’t utter a word. We made it! God, we made it!!

“Are you all thinking what I’m thinking?” I was the first one who snapped back to reality.

“Of course, we are thinking the same. It’s just that you were the first one to get back to reality.” Kris said.

“Yes. Now, let’s vote! Who wants to have a rest first here?” I asked and nobody raised their hands.

“Skip the vote and let’s go to the beach! I don’t want to lie down on the hard ground anymore. I want to try the sands!” Lucas cheered and high fived John. Kris smiled to me and I swore that his smile was the best. I must have done something stupid such as staring at him if Minhee hadn’t nudged me. You could imagine how thankful I was towards her. She saved me from doing something embarrassing.

We weren’t walking fast anymore, we were freaking running! We didn’t care if we looked like a bunch of kids. We were just like kids that got to see beach for the first time. But who cared about that at that moment? I tell you, nobody did.

In just an hour, we finally reached the beach and our reactions were all the same. We immediately threw ourselves to the sands and giggled happily. I had never been this happy being at a beach in my whole life. Oh, I knew everybody hadn’t been either.

“Anyone wants to eat?” I asked.

“I want to skip dinner. How about we just enjoy the night? We will make a bonfire and do stargazing together. Won’t it be awesome?” Minhee gave an idea which in no time everybody had agreed.

“Good idea, it has been a while since the last time I did stargazing.” John said.

“Yes, and I had never done it at the beach before, so this would be my first experience.” Lucas said excitedly.

“Plus, who knows that this might be the last time we experience this? So… C’mon, let’s make the bonfire first!” I said and we split to search some branches and woods.

In just 30 seconds, we all had gathered and the bonfire had been made. I guessed we were too excited and happy that night.

We all lied down on the smooth sands and did the stargazing together and I swear that the night was so beautiful and awesome. Soon, one by one of us fell asleep. I was sure that I was the last person fell asleep. I closed my eyes with a smile still painted on my face.