27

A Foundation of Lies || Black Suits #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He moves in sync with the darkness.

                “I can’t believe those son of a b.itches locked me up. Those policemen will be on the hit list for the incoming gang.” He can hear his superior curse at the policemen in Japanese. He takes note of the car that awaits his superior. Too easy, he says before pulling the sniper’s trigger.

 

                Shino walks into the Kwon mansion, prepared to be congratulated. However, when he walks in, it’s silent. The only light streaming through is from Kwon Bae’s library. Shino walks in with his weapon in hand.

                Sitting expectantly in his seat, Kwon Bae addresses the newcomer. “Done so soon? I was expecting more, Shino.” Now Shino knows why it was so quiet when he had returned.

                “…what do you mean, sunbae-nim?”

                “If you do not enter the tiger’s cave, you will not catch its cub,” Mr. Kwon says in Japanese.

                “Why are you mentioning a proverb so suddenly, sunbae-nim?” Shino masks his surprise with a frown.

                “In Japan, we teach this proverb to those in line for the mafia. Perhaps Hiroto had forgotten to teach you this proverb.” Kwon Bae suddenly gets up. Although Shino is taller by the older man by a long shot, Shino can’t help but feel intimidated. “My wife and son got murdered tonight, Shino. I sacrificed their lives in order to keep my position as the Council leader. Now tell me, what did you risk tonight?”

                Acknowledgment registers in Shino’s mind.

                “What did you risk tonight, Shino Suzuki?” Kwon Bae repeats.

                “…nothing, sunbae-nim.”

                Mr. Kwon nods. “Now tell me, what does the proverb mean?”

                “You can’t do anything without risking something,” Shino replies.

                “Yet you stooped so low by using a sniper to kill your superior. You didn’t risk anything. If anything you risked, it was your position as the Yazuka leader.” Kwon Bae circles Shino, examining the taller male. “Kosuke will be filling the position of Yazuka leader.”

                Immediately after, Shino can feel anger bubbling in his veins.

                “You will be removed from the Yazuka,” Kwon Bae finally says, “you’ll be working under your step-brother, Kim Jong In. Do Kyungsoo, was it? You’ll be working under him as well, serving him dutifully.”

                “…” Shino doesn’t say anything. He knows he can’t make a move on Kwon Bae – there are hidden snipers everywhere. For all he knows, a sniper could be pointed at him as he speaks. “What did I do to deserve this punishment, sunbae-nim?” Shino knows that risking his life wasn’t the only factor that precluded him from the position of the Yazuka head.

                “Tell me, how did your mother die?”

                Shino’s blood runs cold. Kwon Bae repeats, “Tell me, how did your mother die?”

                “…she got shot by a sniper.”

                “Ah, Kim Jae Joong, it wasn’t as simple as that, was it?”

                Shino nervously swallows. “…what do you know, sunbae-nim?”

                “Enough to know that you’re not worthy enough for the mafia,” Kwon Bae shakes his head. “Your father’s disappointed in you – he still is. He doesn’t want to see you rise in any mafia, especially not after knowing you killed his wife.”

* * * * *

                “I’m going to be the leader of the Chinese clan soon,” his friend boasts. “My dad’s leaving his position. He said he’s going to give me his spot.”

                “Zhou Mi’s always so lucky,” his other friend laughs.

                “What are you talking about, Henry?” Zhou Mi rolls his eyes. “I heard you’re in charge of the Hong Kong clan now. It must be nice so far, right?”

                “Pretty nice – it’s stressful though. Girls are flocking me everywhere.” Hearing this, Zhou Mi scoffs. He looks over at their mutual friend. Zhou Mi nudges the quiet male with the tip of his elbow. “What about you, Kim Jae Joong? Is your old man planning to step down anytime soon?”

                “No, he’s taking his sweet old time.” Jae Joong swirls the drink in his hand.

                “He sure is. But hey, if you did what Henry and I did, you could easily assume his position.”

                “My old man is too greedy to give up his position,” Jae Joong shrugs before sipping on his drink.

                “…shoot one of your family members. He’ll pay attention to them and not have time for gang affairs,” Henry reveals. “I did that to my step-mother. She deserved it though. She’s such a b.itch.”

                “…just like that?” Jae Joong asks, curious.

                “Just like that,” Zhou Mi and Henry say in sync.

 

                But fate was never in Kim Jae Joong’s favor. On that fateful day, he had missed his aim on his mother, and as a matter of fact…murdered her. Of course, his father found out eventually – this part Zhou Mi and Henry did not go into detail with – and banished him to Japan.

* * * * *

                “Your initiation is scheduled for tomorrow,” Yunho says. “Kwon Bae wants to see your initiation before he leaves for America.”

                “I wouldn’t think it’d be so soon,” Kai replies.

                “He is an old friend of your father’s. He favors you.”

                “...what do I need to do tomorrow?”

                “Look pretty,” Yunho says nonchalantly. “Most of the mafia leaders are leaving tonight. Kwon Bae and our own mafia will be the only ones present. Elemental will be there, of course.” Yunho glances at Kai for a little longer before leaving his seat and vacating the room.

                “Elemental will be there, of course.”

                How is Na Hee doing? Kai shakes his head. No, I can’t think about her anymore.

 

                “Don’t let anyone off of work tomorrow night,” Chief Kang instructs his team. “We’re infiltrating Charades’ headquarters. Kim Jong In is being initiated as Joker tomorrow night.”

                “Yes, Chief!”

 

                He had promised her that he would protect her. He asked her to put her faith in him. And she did. So that was how she found herself in the same exact layout as the Kwon's mansion two nights ago. However, this time, the gala was held at the Charades’ mansion and that the guests were seated on a massive balcony. It turned out that every mafia had their own property that they owned. Here, they conducted several meetings and parties. Initiating a new leader happened to fall under the mansion’s multi-purposes.

                It was déjà vu, all over again. However, this time, she knew what to expect...right?

                Wrong.

                Once Kai steps out into the grass, Na Hee’s heart suddenly stops. No, why him, of all people?

 

                Yunho steps into the spotlight and addresses the crowd. “Tonight, we are here, united as one under the name Charades. We may not be the most powerful mafia as of now, but in the near future, I know we will be. I believe our new Joker will lead Charades to great heights, isn’t that right, Kai?”

                The featured man of the night steps out onto the grass, addressing his new gang sitting on the balcony. Adorned in a blinding white suit, he charmingly smiles at the crowd. “I hope you all look after me carefully. Although I have to admit that I am lacking compared to sunbae-nim,” he gestures to Yunho, “I will only work harder from here on out. I will be sure to make Charades the most powerful mafia in the world.”

 

                He grits his teeth as he listens to his younger brother speak.

                That could have been me. Why do I have to sit through this hell?

                Shino glimpses

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter