17

A Foundation of Lies || Black Suits #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Na Hee enters La Verdad through the main entrance, which is surprisingly unlocked, as if expecting a visitor at such an early hour for a bar. It’s been two days since Na Hee has last frequented the bar, and she can’t help but admit how welcoming the bar is to her. The air still reeks of cigarette smoke, but by now, Na Hee is accustomed to such an unpleasant scent. Instead of edging away from the seats that were once filled with vomit, Na Hee welcomes the scenery of La Verdad with welcome arms.

                Her eyes glaze over the light that is hitting the wooden floor. The light is peeking out from a half-closed door, which Na Hee suspects is coming from Hakyeon’s office. She saunters over to the lengthy hallway and pushes the oak door open.

                The smell hits her first. It’s a sharp odor that wafts towards her nostrils. Na Hee can almost taste it on her tongue. It reeks of iron.

                Her eyes shift to Hakyeon’s desk. What greets her next is the beginning of hell. It’s as if it is a welcoming gift to accepting the company of an Elemental. It’s a gift straight from the Devil. A scream escapes .

               

                ”W-We need to take him to the hospital,” Na Hee says, stricken with fear. Soon after Na Hee found Hakyeon, Kyungsoo seemed to have detected something strange, thus propelling him to join Na Hee inside. Na Hee does not question Kyungsoo for discovering her – she assumes its his gangster gut instinct.

                “No,” Kyungsoo says with conviction. “They did it for a purpose. The Yazuka sense a turn of events.” Despite having seen more gruesome scenes, Kyungsoo is still disgusted Hakyeon’s rotting body. Not only were there stab wounds littered on his exposed skin, but the assassins twisted his body parts in all the wrong ways. It was sickening even for a gangster who had an immense amount of experience in the field.

                “…then we need to take him to Yixing or someone. I-I-I don’t know. Just…hurry up and save him.” Na Hee looks away, fighting back the tears.

                Kyungsoo warily looks at Na Hee. Comforting was never in Kyungsoo’s favor. He was never good at it, and never will be. “I’m sorry, Na Hee,” he starts hesitantly, “judging by the dried blood on his desk…they probably killed him last night right after La Verdad closed. That explains the stench in this room.”

                Na Hee tearfully glances at Kyungsoo. At this sight, Kyungsoo’s heart wavers in – at least what he assumes is – pity. Na Hee seemed so vulnerable, similar to what happened at Red’s warehouse.

                “Na Hee, let’s go. I’ll get the others to clean this place up.” He cautiously places his arm around the small of Na Hee’s back, forcedly ushering her out of the room. “In order to guarantee your own safety, this is why you must be by my side. The Yazuka know you mean something to Elemental. This is precisely why you cannot trust anyone.”

 

                “Na Hee is mentally unstable as of now. She found Hakyeon’s dead body this morning. It’s the Yazuka – their killing technique says it all.”

                Kai angrily stuffs his phone into his pocket after reading the text. Opposite to him is Dara. She stolidly takes a sip of her tea, firmly gazing at Kai.

                “Is there something wrong, Mr. Kim?”

                “The Yazuka know I’m working with you now,” Kai grits his teeth; his jaw is clenched. “Ms. Park, if you do believe that your fiancée does have the heirloom that is the key to the underground, could you possibly speed up the process? I especially hate it when the enemies touch something that is mine.”

                “Is that so?” Dara says, still calmly addressing the problem. “Jiyong’s father is coming back two days. We will ask him then, because honestly, I think he’s more than just an affluent corporate owner. Till then, there is nothing left we can do.”

                “Then call me two days from now, Ms. Park.” Kai’s chair screeches against the concrete flooring as he stomps out of the room.

                Dara merely smiles to herself. Everything is going as planned.

 

                “Leave Na Hee with Yixing and Eun Hye. She’ll be safe for a little bit while we have our scheduled meeting with the rest of the gang.” Kyungsoo quickly reads the text from Kai and proceeds to follow out his superior’s order. He glances at Na Hee, who is still shaken up from the earlier events. Kyungsoo was surprised that Hakyeon’s death seemed to have taken a bigger toll on Na Hee than he had presumed. It was as if she had a deep connection to the death.

                Kyungsoo clears his throat, momentarily catching Na Hee’s attention. “I have some things to do for Elemental, but I’ll be leaving you with Yixing in the meantime. It won’t take long,” he reassures after seeing her paled complexion.

                “…don’t leave me, Kyungsoo,” she quietly says as Kyungsoo begins driving.

                A scene briefly flashes in his eyes, hitting him hard.

                “…don’t leave me, Kyungsoo.” The girl quivers on the ground as the rain pelts the two bodies from above. Her voice is strained, pleading with Kyungsoo. He gulps.

                “I’ll be back – it won’t take long. I will find those b.astards.” Then he forces himself to tear his eyes away from the body below and sprints away in the opposite direction.

                A honk from behind snaps Kyungsoo out of his reverie.

                “It’s a green light, Kyungsoo,” Na Hee meekly says.

                “Oh…right. Sorry,” Kyungsoo replies, avoiding eye contact.

 

                “There are some errands I need to run for Jong In,” Kyungsoo secretly converses with Yixing. Upon arriving at Yixing’s secluded house on the hill, Kyungsoo ushers Na Hee into a separate room. She busies herself with the numerous fetus photos of Yixing. From where the two men are standing, they can hear her giggle at the pictures.

                “She’s mentally unstable right now,” Kyungsoo whispers, afraid Na Hee could hear, “she came across her manager’s dead body earlier this morning. Do something about it,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter