25

A Foundation of Lies || Black Suits #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I don’t think I’m ready for this,” Na Hee says as Kyungsoo turns into a narrow street. Staring outside, Na Hee sees the mansion situated on top of the hill. Lights are streaming out from the massive windows, and if she’s quiet enough, she can make out the music in the background. “Things are going to happen and someone’s going to get killed.”

                Kyungsoo merely chuckles nonchalantly. “I don’t think that’ll be the case. Because we’re holding the part at the Kwon’s, nobody would dare to pull a trigger, let alone pulling out their gun. Besides, women are present. We prefer not to shoot when there are women around.”

                “So what’s so special about the Kwon’s anyway? Why is this Kwon guy so important that all gangsters must attend?”

                “Not all gangsters,” Kyungsoo corrects, “just the ones that are of importance. And this Kwon guy you’re referring to is the head of the Council. The Council oversees all international gang activities – the Council members range from politicians to gangsters like us. I guess you can say that the Council is the body that does the ruling behind the scenes. Every country government is a mere puppet being controlled by the Council.”

                Na Hee falls silent, absorbing the information. Finally, she confesses, “Honestly, I’m scared, Kyungsoo. I don’t want anything dangerous to happen. I don't exactly have the best impression of gangsters.” Kyungsoo inwardly scoffs – it can’t be helped, Na Hee. There will be gunshots exchanged today, and the first one will be from your childhood lover, Kim Jong In.

                However, despite his inner thoughts, Kyungsoo reassures the anxious girl. “As long as you stick close to me, you’ll be fine. You trust me to protect the both of us right?” Then he reaches over to Na Hee’s side – something completely out of the ordinary for a man like Kyungsoo. He unclenches Na Hee’s balled fists. “Trust me for this once, Na Hee.” This is the only time you can trust me, Na Hee, Kyungsoo silently adds.

               

                Majestic Greek-styled columns support the mansion. A balcony from above overlooks the guests, who happen to be scattered about around the massive lawn. The lawn itself was the size of a basketball court. Tables were set up, and gangs would sit accordingly to the plaque placed at the center of each table.

                 Na Hee sits with Kyungsoo at Elemental’s designated table. Only four other Elemental members are present – Baekhyun, Joomyun, Yixing, and Jongdae. The other members were carefully monitoring the event from Elemental’s apartment.

                Though the Elemental members were relatively friendly with Na Hee, she was still distant from them due to their intimidating presence. The only member she could speak to comfortably was Yixing.

                “So where’s Eun Hye? I thought she would be coming.”

                “She’s not feeling too well today, so I decided not to bring her. But it’s better for her anyway. She doesn’t like crowded places,” explains Yixing.

                “Do you not need to bring a date? Kai said that it’s required of gang figures to bring dates and family members.”

                “That only applies to the leaders,” Yixing says, “he probably meant prominent gang figures.”

                Na Hee nods, reminded of Kai's high position once again.

 

                Whilst Na Hee and Yixing were conversing, Kyungsoo and the other members were having a talk amongst themselves. “Is this the girl?” Baekhyun asks timidly. “She’s definitely not the type that Jong In usually dates.”

                “Well, half of the girls he dates are s.luts, so what do you expect?” Jongdae asks.

                “Guys,” Joomyun says in a scolding tone. “She can probably hear you, you know.” The members sneak a peek at Na Hee, who is still immersed in her conversation with Yixing. “Just kidding,” Joomyun adds. “I don’t understand why you would bring her as your date though, Kyungsoo. Things are going to happen tonight - both you and I know that.”

                “Jong In instructed me to do so,” Kyungsoo says brusquely. Hearing this, Joomyun falls silent. No one can question the leader's actions. Kyungsoo looks at his watch, glancing around. “So when is this starting? Is Jong In here already?”

                “All the gang leaders are here with the exception of one. Park Sang Hyun is driving from the airport as we speak,” Jongdae reports.

                “The Triads leader is coming?” Kyungsoo says, surprised. “Does Dara Park know of this?”

                “Probably not. There are rumors of the Head killing Dara Park tonight,” Baekhyun says. “But you never know who will do the killing, you know. That old man would never get his hands dirty.”

                “Watch what you’re saying, Baekhyun,” Joomyun says. Immediately afterwards, the music fades out and the hired orchestra leaves their seats. The Elemental members exchange glances – it’s time.

 

                Kai gazes at the mafia leaders surrounding him. Dara Park really outdid herself, inviting all of the foreign mafia leaders. The Americans were quietly conversing with the Italians whilst the Japanese were talking to the Chinese. Everybody else seemed to share a warm conversation, but it was clear who the enemies and allies were. Everything seemed so…fake; fake smiles, fake laughs, fake everything. Shino and Kai were the only ones who made no effort to speak to others – they preferred to keep to themselves. But Kai had no intention to start a conversation with his step-brother. He didn’t want to pretend to be even be civil with his sibling. It had been a while since they last each other, let alone talked to each other.

                “That girl of yours,” Shino casually says, starting the conversation first, “it wasn’t my intention to capture her.”

                “But you did anyway,” Kai says nonchalantly, “that’s all that matters, doesn’t it?”

                “Hiroto thought you were taking too long. It was instructions given by my superior. I hope she’s okay. She was pretty.” Sarcasm drenches every word spoken by Shino. Kai could no longer contain his annoyance for his brother.

                “Cut the bulls.hit, Kim Jae Joong,” Kai pulls his brother by the collar. “You’re still pissed at me for taking your spot in the Korean mafia, aren’t you?”

                “And so what if I am?” Shino challenges. “I was born in the family first. You had no right to take over my spot. Also,” he says through clenched teeth, “I suggest you letting go of me – you’re making a scene right now. If the Head were to enter the room right now, I don’t think he would promote you as Joker, would he now?”

                Instantly, Kai lets go. “Once I become Joker, I’m not letting you out of my sight,” he promises.

                Fixing his collar, Shino coolly says, “The real question is, when will you become Joker?”

                Kai’s blood is boiling – his face tells it all. If only I could land a punch on his perfect face, Kai thinks. However, Kai merely grins. “And when will you ever meet with Abeoji? From what I heard, you haven’t visited him in America since you left Korea ten years ago.”

                “And why should I? He disowned me as a son.”

                “Or perhaps you’re just too embarrassed to even face him,” Kai retorts. Before Shino can make any move on Kai, Yunho materializes between the two brothers. “You guys can settle your family disputes afterwards – for now, be obedient for the Head, will you?”

                With much difficulty, Kai tears his eyes away from Shino. “…where is the Head anyway?” Kai mutters.

                “He’ll be coming down to his library soon.” Yunho says. “If you will excuse us, Shino..." He drags his pupil out of the room.

 

                “You want the Joker position, right?” Yunho doesn't hestitate to beat around the bushes - he's very terse.

                “Yunho hyung, if this is going to waste my time, I suggest –“

                Yunho quickly interjects. “Kill Dara Park tonight in front of everybody. The Head wants her killed anyway. When you kill her, that means you’ll complete the Yazuka’s request. You’ll be respected in front of everybody. If I step down, e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter