20

A Foundation of Lies || Black Suits #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After Kai escorts Na Hee to bed, she finds it difficult to fall asleep. The boy who she fell in love with became a gangster. It made Na Hee wonder how his life played out while she was in absent in his presence. But after Kai's revelation, things were beginning to make more sense to Na Hee. If Kai was Kyungsoo’s superior, he had instructed Kyungsoo to carefully watch over Na Hee. Not only did this make Kyungsoo appear less stalker-like, but also seem more distant from Na Hee. Deep within the pits of her heart, Na Hee was disappointed.

                She had thought Kyungsoo honestly cared about her.

                Things were beginning to shape up, but things were also getting more confusing.

 

                “I’m going to hold a meeting tomorrow morning,” Kai tells Kyungsoo over the phone. His fingers trace the rim of the wine glass. “In the afternoon, I’ll be back at my sister’s estate and probably pick up Na Hee while I’m at it. It won’t be necessary for you to drive back into the countryside. I want you to focus on the Japanese now.”  

                “It’s not necessary to look after Na Hee anymore?”

                Kai brings the wine to his lips and takes a sip. “For now, no. I’ll be looking after her. Just focus your attention on Dara Park and whatnot. We have one more day till Jiyong’s father comes back to Korea. When he does, you may return to your post as Na Hee’s personal bodyguard.”

                Kyungsoo forces himself to remain calm at the word bodyguard. He was beginning to think he was more than a mere person who protected Na Hee – he wanted to be someone she could trust. But he himself knew that was impossible. “Okay. I’ll overlook Elemental’s activities tomorrow then. Good night, Jong In.”

                Jong In ends the conversation first.

                Just wait a little longer, Na Hee. We can be together after I become Joker.

 

                Na Hee woke up to the drool-evoking scent of Yixing’s cooking. When she arrives in the kitchen, there are platters of cooked food on the table already. Yixing calls from the kitchen, compelling Na Hee to walk towards him.

                “Kai will be gone for the morning, but he’ll back later today. Also, do you think you can possibly call Eun Hye down to breakfast? I believe she’s changing out of her pajamas, but she’s taking longer than expected.” Na Hee nods, and proceeds upstairs. Photos of Kai and Eun Hye line the walls as she ascends up the stairs. At the very top, Na Hee can spot a family photo.

                Kai’s father is austere – he does not smile at the camera. The same could be said for Kai’s mother – her beady eyes drill into Na Hee’s soul. “I was with my mom when the gang leaders came to kill her.” Eun Hye’s voice resonates in Na Hee’s mind. Suddenly, Na Hee feels remorseful of the lady. She looks to the second row, which was where the siblings were standing. Shino was in the picture, standing proudly in the middle. Even at a young age, his face certainly captured the attention of many. Kai and Eun Hye stood on either side of Shino. Eun Hye was still young and had to depend on a stool to even out the second row’s height. Kai childishly smiles at the camera, which is a stark contrast compared to his foster parents. He looks the same as he did when he first left the orphanage. Na Hee concludes this photo was taken right after Kai entered the family.  

                Eun Hye’s voice confirms her suspicions. “This was taken before my mom was murdered. Jong In oppa had just entered the family that week we took the photo.”

                “What about Shino?” Na Hee asks, addressing the other male by his Japanese name.

                “Jae Joong oppa?” Eun Hye calls her brother by his Korean name. She dismisses Na Hee’s sentence, proving to Na Hee that she was unaware of her other brother’s underground activities. “He disappeared a year after Umma died. I haven’t heard from him since.” She shakes her head. “I was too young to interact with Jae Joong oppa anyway. He was always serious, but Jong In oppa always knew how to make me laugh.” From a personal experience of meeting the two brothers, Na Hee could believe Eun Hye’s words.

                “That sounds awfully like Kai,” Na Hee comments. She offers her hand. “Let’s go downstairs and eat breakfast.” Eun Hye eagerly nods before looking down at Na Hee’s outfit. Na Hee had slept in the same clothes she had arrived in yesterday.

                “Unnie, before that, let’s get you into some new clothes.”

 

                “I like Eun Hye’s clothes on you,” Yixing comments upon the entrance of the two females. “I think you wear them better than Eun Hye.”

                Eun Hye feigns umbrage. “Yah!”

                “Let’s eat!” Yixing says, slickly evading Eun Hye’s punch.

                For the first time in a long time, Na Hee genuinely smiles at their childish antics.

 

                “We have one more day till Jiyong’s father comes back,” Kai says. “Until then, I want you guys to track Shino down. He’s still in Seoul, I’m sure. Hiroto would not be pleased if Shino came empty-handed. If Jiyong’s father really proves to be something more than an affluent owner, there will be a party celebrating his return. We will be invited, of course. Whatever heirloom the Kwon’s have, we must assist Dara Park with retrieving it.”

                “Jong In, we talked about this yesterday. We don’t think Dara Park can be trusted.” Joomyun glances at the rest of the gangsters. It was a tacit and unanimous agreement among the Elemental leaders. Xiumin nods in approval.

                “I suggest keeping a tight watch over Dara Park as well,” Kyungsoo says, entering the room. He holds a cup of coffee in one hand and the other hand pinches on the latest edition of a newspaper. Settling down in a seat near Xiumin, he begins flipping through the headlines. “We barely know her aside from the information Max supplied us. How valid can his facts be? If we don’t carefully watch over her, this will be a mistake that will cost a lot of lives.”

                “Guess who is back,” exclaims Jongdae. “This isn’t a bad choice, Jong In. Bringing Kyungsoo back guarantees m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter