23

A Foundation of Lies || Black Suits #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now sitting in Kyungsoo’s car, Na Hee feels something simmer at the bottom of her stomach. It bubbles within the lining of her stomach as it rises to . She clears , evidently uncomfortable in the presence of Kyungsoo. She fights the temptation to look at the male and distracts herself with the scenery outside.

                “So what did you do with Jong In yesterday?” Kyungsoo seems to notice the surprisingly quiet atmosphere and gets the conversation rolling. Na Hee bites down on her lip as the butterflies rise in her stomach again. What’s wrong with me? I did nothing wrong – except for kissing Kai, of course.

                “Nothing…” Her voice comes out distant, but fortunately, Kyungsoo doesn’t seem to notice. “Eun Hye was really nice,” she says, hoping that she would shy away from the topic of Kim Jong In. When Kyungsoo merely grunts to agree, Na Hee asks, “What about you? What did you do?”

                “Caught up on gang actives, per usual.” At that very moment, Yixing’s words ring in Na Hee’s mind. We just brace ourselves for the worse, I guess. As the second man in line for leader, Na Hee realizes how taxing Kyungsoo’s job really is.

                “Kai…” Na Hee starts uncertainly. In response, Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow but is silent. “Kai, is he a good leader?”

                “He’s good enough to lead a gang that houses more than 10,000, if that’s what you want to hear.”

                “…does he kill people?” Na Hee asks timidly. It’s questions like these that she’s afraid of asking. She knows Kai would tell her the answers, but the question is, would he give her the truth or the answers she wants to hear? Yet, with Kyungsoo, she feels he’ll tell her the absolute truth.  

                “You seem to be interested in gang actives today,” Kyungsoo notes, but proceeds to answer Na Hee’s question. Keeping both eyes on the road, he speaks again after a pregnant pause. It was as if he was hesitating – hesitating to tell the girl the truth. “In order to enter a gang, you must test for your loyalty. Loyalty is what this world is built on. It’s a pretty crappy foundation, if you were to ask me.”

                “How do you test for your loyalty then?”

                Kyungsoo falls silent at this, as if contemplating something. Eventually, he speaks again. “You kill a policeman. That proves that you’re willing to go against the law, and ultimately work and live for the underground world.” Na Hee is rendered silent – the idea itself was horrifying. But that meant…

                “There a few exceptions, though,” Kyungsoo says reassuringly, “I was one of the very few. I tested my loyalty in a different way.” As if predicting Na Hee will ask how, Kyungsoo says, “But we’ll leave that story for another day. But to answer your original question, yes, every gangster kills someone at one point. This is exactly what I meant by not trusting anyone in this world. Perhaps it's already to save your soul, since you've already given your trust to someone wholeheartedly.” Na Hee opens to question Kyungsoo. Just then, Kyungsoo’s phone rings.

                In a flash, he pulls it out and answers it. “Hello?” Kyungsoo remains silent for a minute before nodding into his phone. “I’ll be there, just give a me half an hour.” He hangs up. He meets eyes with Na Hee before explaining, “I have to go but I’ll be dropping you off at Eun Hye’s.” He slams the brake pedals and drives the car in the opposite direction.

 

                “You seem to be in a bad mood today, Jong In-ssi.”

                Situated in the same tea house under Dara’s family’s name, the two are sitting cross-legged from each other. Kai twitches in discomfort, but does not let the pain register onto his face. “I got shot yesterday,” he casually says. He observes Dara silently, waiting for a feature change – she doesn’t move a muscle. She’s wants to overthrow all the gangs. Baekhyun's voice rings in Kai's mind.

                “What a pity,” Dara shakes her head.

                “Yes, wouldn’t you think? Just imagine – in the middle of the night, in an abandoned park, you get shot right here in the stomach.” Kai gestures to the general area of his injury. “Fortunately it wasn’t anything fatal – it should heal in a week at tops.”

                “Yes, you gangsters, you all have bodies made of steel.”

                “Perhaps you would know who the culprit is,” Kai says – albeit a little too bluntly. Dara raises an eyebrow, but doesn’t appear surprised.

                “I’ve heard some few things,” she shrugs.

                “And I’m sure you would enlighten me, would you, Miss Park?”

                Dara settles into her chair, gazing at Kai. “How’s your step-brother, Jong In-ssi?” She suddenly asks.

                “I’m surprised you asked, Miss Park. Not many seem to know about my step-brother’s presence in the underground world,” Kai challenges.

                “In case you’ve forgotten, I have lived in Japan for quite some while. I have been active in the Japanese underground world.” Dara purses her lips. “I would hate to be the one telling you this, but I’m afraid your step-brother has ordered his men to threaten your gang. But of course, I can trust that you’ll behave accordingly, seeing as how Jiyong’s father is coming back later this afternoon.”

                Kai nods, somewhat understandingly. Dara’s eyes show concern, but she quickly masks it away the second after. “Yes, my brother and I have been on rough terms,” he admits. “But we will act accordingly, especially with Mr. Kwon's arrivial. I suppose you will be hosting a welcoming party for him?”

                “That’s something to be discussed with later; should anything happen, you’ll get the invitation through your gang.”

                Kai observes Dara for a while longer before nodding. “Alright, thanks for giving me the heads-up regarding my brother. Shino’s always been a handful to deal with.” Kai stands up. “I will be seeing you soon, Miss Park.”

 

                “Max is waiting for us at our headquarters,” Baekhyun reports once Kai steps into the car. Kai sighs, looking down at his shirt – blood was beginning to soak through the fine material.

                “Let’s swing by Yixing’s first – Max can wait.”

                “All the members are there,” Baekhyun automatically replies, as he speeds through a yellow light. “Yixing will be there as well. He can check up on your wound later.”

                “What’s the occasion?”

                “Yunho sunbae will be present at the meeting.”

                Kai curses under his breath. “And Kyungsoo?”

                “He’s there as well.”

                “What about Choi Na Hee?”

                “Who?” Baekhyun thinks for a moment before speaking again. “Oh, the girl that you assigned Kyungsoo to watch over. She’s with Eun Hye right now.” Relief floods Kai. If Na Hee was dragged deeper into this world, Kai would never forgive himself.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter