21

A Foundation of Lies || Black Suits #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The car rolls to a stop in front of an unfamiliar playground. Na Hee realizes that this is not the orphanage, but instead, a playground situated near the city. Through the shadows, she can make out the shadow of a swing set. It seems as if Kai has read her mind, as he says, “The orphanage is farther from the city than I had thought. I’m sorry, Na Hee, but this will have to do.”

                “It’s okay,” Na Hee says. However, a feeling constricts within her chest. No, it isn't okay. “As long as there is a swing set, then I’m good to go.” She turns around and faces Kai with a bright smile. “Do you want to push me for old time’s sake, oppa?”

                “Of course,” Kai laughs. “Let’s go.” And without notice, he grabs Na Hee’s hand tightly. They run into the far distance. Na Hee almost feels at peace. Almost.

 

                “Oppa,” Na Hee softly calls out to Kai.

                “Yes?”

                She anxiously glances down at her intertwined hands on her lap. Feelings of uncertainity rise in . “I have so many questions I want to ask. But where should I even begin?”

                “Curiosity killed the cat, remember?”

                “But I’m not a cat.”

                “Perhaps not, but I just don’t want you to suffer because of what I’m about to tell you.”

                Wanting to give Kai a form of comfort, Na Hee subconsciously places her head on Kai’s waist. He gently rocks her back and forth on the swing, similar to a parent and a child. Na Hee can feel him tense up, but she continues to lie there in that position. She needs to become accustomed to the new Kai. Na Hee is indecisive to whether or not she should enjoy this. “I want to know, oppa. Don’t keep me in the dark because of my feelings. I’m stronger now.”

                “Where should I even begin, Na Hee? A lot can happen in a year, let alone a whole decade.”

                “I’m listening,” Na Hee closes her eyes.

                Kai lets out a defeated sigh. Na Hee is still very much the same stubborn girl ten years ago.

                “When I got adopted…”

* * * * *

                “Jong In, he’ll take care of you from now on.”

                The orphanage director’s voice resonates in his thirteen-year old mind. Jong In scoffs in disbelief. The orphanage director had lied to him. If anything Jong In loathed the most, it was being lied to. The thirteen-year old boy looks out his balcony window.

                It’s a messed up family – they’re a messed up family.

                Upon his arrival at the gigantic mansion of the notorious Kim’s, Jong In was clearly not welcomed. His so-called “father” had given him strict instructions to follow as they drove into the neatly paved driveway. It was the first time he had openly spoke to Jong In.

                “From now on, you will call me Abeoji. I will not answer to anything other than that and sunbae-nim. I'll put this out there now so you won't be disheartened later, but I'm not here to shower you with love. I’m here to guarantee success in my family, and you’ll be the key to that treasure box.”

                The treasure box could be equated to Pandora’s box. The infamous myth is that a curious Greek figure had opened a box given by the gods and was specifically ordered not to open it, for it promised havoc. Despite the gods’ warnings, Pandora – the Greek figure – decided to open it anyway. This scenario could be seen analogous to Jong In’s arrival in the family. Once Jong In planted his foot on the Kim’s property, chaos was bound to happen for the maturing boy.

                “Get me water,” his older step-brother calls. Jong In turns around, annoyed by the new presence in the room. Usually, Jong In was a patient person. However, that trait was soon turned upside down once he met Kim Jae Joong.

                Kim Jae Joong was five years older than Jong In. He was the first family member that had met Jong In, and Jong In’s first impression of Jae Joong wasn’t all that bad.  Appearing like an angel, Jae Joong was the epitome of perfection. However, that soon quickly changed once his foster father had left the room.

                “If you even dare think about taking my place, I will slaughter you on the spot.”

                And Kim Jae Joong made sure to keep that promise of his. He made sure that Jong In would want to run away – run away from this living hell. But no matter how hard Jong In tried, his foster father would always find him.

                “I took you out of the damn orphanage for a reason – I chose you for a reason. Don’t fail me.” It wasn’t long before Jong In realized who Mr. Kim really was. He was the Korean mafia leader, better known as Kim Dong Min. His gang – Charades – housed roughly about 50,000 Koreans. He may have appeared as an innocent businessman who made good investment choices, but that was a mere façade. Jong In had first encountered an eighth of the gang during one of his father’s so-called “business meetings.”

                Jong In never really wanted to run away aside from the few times Jae Joong had bullied him. It was all the training Kim Dong Min put his foster son through. Sometimes, Jong In would collapse of fatigue, only to be woken up ten minutes later to start another set of laps. The training could be physically burdensome and other times, Jong In was forced to face his fears plenty of times. However, Jong In would recall his sweet times at the orphanage and the promises he made to Na Hee.

                “The sooner you get out there, the sooner you can start building our home.” It was those words said by Na Hee that motivated Jong In to keep trying. For whatever reason his foster father wanted Jong In to be trained, Jong In knew that in the long run, he would be successful someday. And he could have a peaceful life with Na Hee and their family.

                His father never took it upon himself to train Jong In – it would always be a close friend of his father’s. Perhaps it was because Jong In wasn’t Kim Dong Min’s real son, but it seemed as if they always chose the smallest of flaws to abuse Jong In. “People like us – we can’t afford fears. We’re better than that.”

                Jong In closes his eyes, feeling the pain of his sore shoulder pulse through his veins. “Get it yourself, hyung.” He forces the last word out with gritted teeth. Today, his trainer had pushed him harder than ever. “You’re almost there, Kim Jong In. You’ve advanced so quickly – this will guarantee success.”

                “And why should I?” Jae Joong was testing him – he knew it, Jong In knew it.

                “If you’re already standing up, why don’t you just walk down the stairs and get it yourself?”

                “Just because,” Jae Joong shrugs. “Jong In, don’t think so high and mighty of yourself. Just because Abeoji’s been giving you more attention, doesn’t mean you should bathe in it.”

                Jong In clenches his jaw. “I’m not, hyung.”

                “Go downstairs, and fetch me water. Perhaps later, I’ll believe you.” Jae Joong disappears behind the corner of the door and heads to his room. Jong In sighs. Damn you and the Kim’s.

 

                Today, the mansion was empty aside from Jong In’s step-sister. His foster parents had gone out, and Jae Joong had gone out to receive some additional training. Today was Jon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter