26

A Foundation of Lies || Black Suits #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was after the party when all the guests had retired to their rightful places. Immediately after the police’s invasion, Mr. Kwon had called for an emergency meeting regarding the gangs. All mafia leaders were present.

                “Those f.ucking policemen were trying to ruin the party, aren’t they?” Mr. Kwon says; his patience ticks away like seconds on a clock. He wrings his tie away from his neck. “Donghyun,” Mr. Kwon addresses his right-hand man, “how did Hiroto and Sang Hyun get here?”

                “They flew in via their private jets,” Donghyun replies.

                “There’s no possible way the police could have known,” a Chinese mafia leader says.

                “Not particularly,” Yunho interjects, “the Korean police force are always on point. They must have spotted the two mafia leaders at the airport. Should I remind you, Wei? Technology is very advanced nowadays.” Yunho’s eyes fall on the 3rd generation iPhone placed next to the Chinese mafia leader.

                Before Wei can initiate a fight, Mr. Kwon wedges his body in between the two. “We’re here to decide the Yazuka and Triads’ fates, not start a petty debate regarding whose phone is better.” Hearing this, both Yunho and Wei fall silent. “Do our fellow American and Italian friends have any words for us?” Mr. Kwon turns to the two figureheads seated across from the Asian gangsters.

                The American turns to Yunho for translation. Yunho says, “Philip says that we should start a second generation of mafia leaders. He believes that it was Hiroto’s time to step down anyway – he’s been in power for the past three decades.”

                “Fair enough,” Mr. Kwon nods. “However, I don’t think this can be applied to Sang Hyun’s case. He’s still young and he has many years ahead of him. Unlike Hiroto who had failed to bring me Dara Park earlier, Sang Hyun is loyal to the Council. I’ll cut Park Sang Hyun some slack.”

                “Boss, what should we do about Hiroto then? By now, their lawyers must have flown in,” Donghyun asks.

                “Let their lawyers do their magic but capture Hiroto after.” Mr. Kwon narrows his eyes at Shino. “It’d please me greatly if you would bring him with your own hands. Perhaps then, I’ll consider you as the Yazuka leader.” In other words, Shino had to kill Hiroto in front of the Council in order to prove himself as the rightful Yazuka leader.

                “I will do, sunbae-nim,” Shino respectfully nods his head.

                Just then, Kai enters the library room, now clad in a different suit.

                “Sunbae-nim,” Kai bows at his entry and settles down in a chair next to Yunho.

                “We were talking about a second generation of mafia leaders, Jong In. What’s your take on this?” Mr. Kwon says, nearing the other male. “I suppose you won’t have any objections to this, as you will be one of the first to rise.” He presses his hand onto Kai’s shoulder blade. “Nice shooting out there – it was the best I’ve seen since my time.”

 

                Na Hee had noticed the new addition of red on Dara’s dress before the culprit was revealed.

                “We prefer not to shoot when women are present.” Kyungsoo’s voice rings in her head, as if it was said to her seconds ago. Had it been any other person, Na Hee wouldn’t have been so torn apart. But it was Kai – Jong In, her childhood lover, who had pulled the trigger first. In fact, he was the only one who pulled the trigger.

                “Kyungsoo,” Na Hee urgently says as Kai launches more bullets into the air. “I-I-I need to go.” Without even waiting for his consent, she manages to push against the standing crowd in the midst of the chaos occurring on the ground. Kyungsoo shoots Kai a distant glance before running after Na Hee. I said I’d protect her, and this is my one and only promise to her that I can keep.

               

                Kyungsoo sees Na Hee in the darkness. She had collapsed on the ground, frozen in her spot. He quietly approaches Na Hee’s static figure before blindly helping her up. “Let’s get in the car,” he softly says. As he helps her into the car, he can’t help but think of Kai.

                “If she sees me open fire on Park Sang Hyun – or anyone for that matter, she’ll give up on me.”

                And maybe she’ll even give up on living, Kim Jong In.

                Kyungsoo sends Yixing a quick text and the latter promises to meet up at his office.

 

                “I gave her some sleeping pills,” Yixing explains. “Na Hee’s traumatized and what she needs to do is rest. She may feel faint when she wakes up later, as it is one of the side effects from emotional shock. Although I have diagnosed her in her previous shock episode, this time is more severe. We may need to put her on mood-altering medications.” Taking a sharp intake of air, Yixing observes Kyungsoo. “Should we notify Jong In?”

                “No,” Kyungsoo stiffly says. “I think seeing Jong In will worsen Na Hee’s case.”

                “…and why is that so?”

                “Na Hee’s parents were killed by gangsters when she was little. However, I do find it ironic how she can trust us easily when we are gangsters ourselves.”

                Suddenly, Yixing turns stone serious. “If that’s the case, we may have to ask for Xiumin’s help. I need to see her medical files, should any complications arise. If she has PTSD, I’m afraid we may have to turn for another treatment.”

                “PTSD?” Kyungsoo repeats, worry lining his forehead wrinkles.

                “PTSD stands for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Depending on where she was when her parents’ were murdered, there is a high possibility she has PTSD. It’s common and it can be treated,” Yixing reassures. “Now…if I can get my hands on her medical history…”

                Kyungsoo nods, his phone already in his hand. “I’ll call Xiumin right now.”

 

                “So what’s our next goal?” Four asks as he cautiously examines their surroundings.

                “It depends on w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter