09

A Foundation of Lies || Black Suits #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Almost automatically, Kyungsoo finds himself advancing towards Na Hee, suddenly feeling protective of the said girl. Upon the first meeting, not one has Kai introduced himself as Jong In. Kai’s birth name came with time and bonding.

                Na Hee frowns, as if pondering something. After contemplating for a minute, she replaces the frown with a smile. Upon seeing this, Kyungsoo feels an odd feeling consume his stomach. “Thanks for giving me the umbrella that day. It was raining really hard. I should probably return it to you.” She then turns to Kyungsoo.

                “It’s best if I go home now. My manager won’t be happy.”

                Kai shoots a fleeting glance at Kyungsoo and his eyes flit away before Na Hee can see the silent conversation. “Yeah, Kyungsoo, you should probably take her home.” The underlying meaning of that simple sentence was: Yeah, Kyungsoo, you should probably take her home and not let her go to work.

                Kyungsoo nods, both to Na Hee and Kai.

 

                When Kyungsoo and Na Hee depart for the heart of the city, Yixing is left alone with Kai. He changes Kai’s bandages and for the most part, Kai is silent. This can mean only one thing – he’s formulating a plan in his head. Yixing can almost see the wheels spinning in Kai’s head, as the said gangster processes the events prior to that morning.

                Kai speaks up as Yixing tucks away the gauze in his first aid kit. “I want you to call up Tao and Sehun. Tell them they are to find those f.uckers who were at the warehouse last night. Then bring them to me.”

                “Jong In, I don’t think you’re in the condition to –“

                “Call them,” growls Kai. “I will kill them slowly – one by one.”

 

                Dutifully following out Kai’s behests, Kyungsoo purposely misses the freeway exit that directs the cars to La Verdad.

                Observant, Na Hee speaks up for the first time since stepping into Kyungsoo’s SUV. “You missed the exit.”

                Kyungsoo is nonchalant. “I know.”

                “And you also know that I have to go to work. So what the hell are you doing?”

                “I hope you are aware that I’m a gangster and that I don’t really appreciate your foul language,” Kyungsoo calmly says as he continues to speed by cars on the carpool lane.

                “What, are you trying to threaten me?”

                “Something of that sort,” admits Kyungsoo with a pensive look on his face. “Shouldn’t you be scared?”

                “I think I stopped being scared to verbal threats after you had me at your chokehold.”

                Kyungsoo closes his mouth to speak, knowing well for a fact that Na Hee had a point. Shooting a discreet glance at Na Hee, she almost seems at a serene state of mind. It was as if yesterday never happened. But Kyungsoo knew better than that. Choi Na Hee was just a really good actress, and that was what intrigued Kyungsoo. In fact, everything about Choi Na Hee intrigued him.

                “Are you looking at me?” Her voice draws Kyungsoo out of his reverie.

                “No,” he immediately denies. “You just smell.” Damn, I should have been more careful.

                Na Hee sighs, “I’m not going to work, am I?”

                “No,” Kyungsoo says, relief flooding his entirety. The sudden switch of subjects saved Kyungsoo from further drowning in his humiliation. “You’re going shopping with me.” Frankly speaking, Kyungsoo had no idea what and where he was taking Na Hee. But suddenly, shopping didn’t seem like such a bad idea after all.

 

                “Is this seriously what gangsters do in their free time? Buy clocks?” Na Hee laughs almost mockingly, disbelieving the sight unfolding before her.

                “Then what do you do?” Kyungsoo eyes Na Hee, making her feel self-conscious.

                “Normal things,” says Na H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter