18

A Foundation of Lies || Black Suits #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Despite Na Hee’s steely exterior as her personality, Eun Hye managed to escape the barricade, warming up to her instantly. Part of this happening was on Eun Hye’s part – being so naïve and kind-hearted. However, another part was because Na Hee allowed this entry. Perhaps it was the lack of female contact, but Na Hee appreciated Eun Hye’s efforts to welcome her into a new world.

                After eating a meal that Yixing supposedly cooked by himself, Na Hee seems to have forgotten that morning’s events. However, the scene is soon pushed back into Na Hee’s mind once Yixing asks if she is fine. Na Hee purses her lips together, hesitant to tell Yixing the truth in front of Eun Hye.

                Concern is written all over her doll-like features. “What happened?”

                Na Hee is hesitant, glancing at Yixing for approval. In response, Yixing nods, as if encouraging Na Hee to tell the truth.

                “…I saw my boss’s dead body this morning.”

                However, much to Na Hee’s surprise, Eun Hye nods, as if completely understanding. Then again, this is the same girl who is the step-sister of the Korean warlord. “It must be your first death encounter, isn’t it?” She asks this with much ease, as if she is merely asking how Na Hee’s day went. Na Hee doesn’t shake her head nor nod, and instead allows Eun Hye to continue speaking.

                “I was with my mom when the other gang leaders came to kill her,” Eun Hye softly says. “To this day, I am still scarred for life. I couldn’t do anything – I couldn’t move or scream. That’s why I hate being handicapped. I’m an invalid person – I am useless.”

                “Eun Hye,” Yixing softly calls out. In response, the younger girl simply shakes her head.

                “It’s okay, oppa. It’s been ten years since it happened.”

                Na Hee stays mute, unsure what to say next. “I’m sorry,” she mutters. “I didn’t mean to, Eun Hye.”

                “It’s okay, unnie. Because I saw umma die, I know Kai oppa can justify her death sooner or later. This is why I allow him to continue doing what he does.”

                Na Hee ponders. If only her parents’ deaths could be justified as well…

* * * * *

                Both of her parents had badges that they wore close to their heart. It was a badge that they had showcased to everyone. At the age of five, Na Hee had already proclaimed herself to a be a police woman as well. Because of course, it would only make sense that a child of two police officers would become a part of the justice system as well.

                Na Hee had always been her peers’ definition of “goodie-goodie.” That was just how she was raised – with good manners and morals. Not only did she complete her homework on time, but many teachers enjoyed having her as a student. When her peers went to play in the sandbox, Na Hee would spend her time in the classroom. As a result of her lack of physical contact with other students, Na Hee had no friends.

                Despite her parents both working tight schedules, they always made time for their only daughter. Because of this, Na Hee was always respectful and grateful for her folks. She knew how important their jobs were to them. On the show-and-tell days, she would proudly boast, “My parents are superheroes.” Of course, there would be an outburst of protests.

                “What kind of superhero would give birth to you?” “Yeah right, superheroes.”

                At such a young age, these kids were not sugar-coating any of their foul words. However, Na Hee was never discouraged. She was always proud of her parents. They protected the citizens, and for this reason, Na Hee cherished her parents even more.

                It wasn’t until she turned six when Na Hee began to see her father less often. The family of three never went out on the weekends anymore. Her mother began to change, and Na Hee could see it with her own eyes. Locks of grey hair would be bunched together in a tight bun that her mother always adorned. Everytime Na Hee asked about her father’s whereabouts, Mrs. Choi would refuse to answer.

                “Go do homework, Na Hee.” “Now isn’t the time to ask, Na Hee.”

                Overtime, Na Hee managed to get the information out of her mother’s mouth.

                “Your father is assigned to a very important task right now, Na Hee. You know, how chameleons disguise themselves so their predators won’t acknowledge their presence? It’s kind of like that – your father’s assimilating into a whole new world right now. He has a new identity and all. It’ll be difficult to see him from now on.”

                At a young age, Na Hee did not understand what her mother was trying to convey. Years later, she finally understood – her father was working as an undercover police officer in the mobster world. However, what Na Hee didn’t know, was that her father was working a dangerous task.

 

                It was her seventh birthday.

                The night prior to her big day, Mrs. Choi had told Na Hee that a surprise visitor would be appearing at the house today. Assuming it was her father – whom she hadn’t seen for the past few months – Na Hee was on her best behavior throughout the day.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter