Book I.2 Chapter 1 (part 2)

'Holding On' Series When The Film Reeled : The Second Chance

Holding On’

Book 1

When The Film Reeled : The Second Chance

 

“Don’t hold on to someone, when you are already holding someone else’s hands.”

 

Chapter 1: Love Dust

Part 2

___________________________________________________________

 

Sungmin placed down his things and took a deep breath; so far he had been doing great, answering wittily, appropriately and convincingly. The boards of directors are all nodding in agreement in his proposition, they have no doubts about the flawless timeline and the budget wise production. He had been successful in pissing off his father since the man rarely answered after the few times he tried to humiliate Sungmin.

What makes him uneasy is Kyuhyun’s occasional stares, he had been avoiding those for a while, acting as if he didn’t feel a prick on his skin whenever Kyuhyun’s eyes glance at him. His heart is hammering against his chest, creating a lump on his throat suffocating him every now and then. He shouldn’t be feeling too giddy or too uncaring. He should act neutral as to avoid drawing out conclusions on Kyuhyun’s mind.

There is another thing he’s been scared about, it is the explanation of the plot.

He had never told anyone about it, nor Hyukjae for he will right away reject the offer. He knew his best friend will feel like he’d been cheated but he will never get mad; because the impact of the plot affects him more than it will affect the actor.

His mentor had told him specifically why he had written such love story. He said that so far, this love story had never been told, it needed to open up some mind, close up some wounds, refresh forgotten memories and bring back what is meant to be together in the first place. Sungmin, undeniably cried when he had learned the story, his mind argued on continuing or disregarding it. But eventually, his passion won, and here he is delivering a story that will shake everyone out of their comfort zone.

“Sungmin…”

The man called felt a nudge on his arm; all eyes were on him waiting for his suppose to be action, but he is too preoccupied by his thoughts that the meeting slipped his mind.

“It’s your turn to explain the plot.” Hyukjae whispered forcing not to laugh at his blank expression. Sungmin would’ve shown a small smile but instead he nodded, professionally at the actor before standing up, in order to open the most awaited plot of the year.

***

"Tell us what makes this drama special." Hyukjae teased his bestfriend with a sly smile. Sungmin would be annoyed if he didn't know that his bestfriend had no idea about the plot. In a short while those mischievous laugh will be replaced by worry, anxiety and disagreement.

"The title will be 'Please Don't...' It was a love story between two people,  an heir of a company and an heir of another company, though those are the arrangements the main male character had a hidden past... Those are what I cannot reveal for now..."

"What?!" Sungmin's father abruptly interrupted. "How are we suppose to fix the entirety of the movie if we don't know that one small fact?!"

 

"Mr. Lee, that secret is for me and the main male character to know and for the rest of you to find out." Sungmin responded confidently. "Since the main reason is a real secret even for the staffs and the rest of the cast it will make the acting of the rest of the actors and actresses believable."

Kyuhyun nodded lightly at the brilliance of the idea. Lee Sungmin is not named a 'prodigy' for nothing, somehow he felt proud.

"That's absurd." Mr. Lee blurted out offended.

"Actually that's a great idea." One of the older board of director has spoken taking Sungmin's father by surprise. "If it is a secret from us too then we will continue to wait and anticipate to what will happen and how will the story flow. It was a brilliant idea. No wonder he won an award as a best director back in the states..."

There were hums of agreement from the rest of the board and Mr. Lee cursed silently for another humiliation.

"Thank you." Sungmin bowed lightly to the acknowledgement. He waited for everyone's attention to return to him before he will reveal the next part of the plot.

"As I was saying gentlemen, there was another twist in the story. The love interest of our main lead will not just be the heir of the other company, he will have an affair..."

By that he saw Kyuhyun's shoulder stiffen and Hyukjae's gaze narrowed towards him.

He took a deep breath, heart pounding with the ache he haven't felt as the crucial role materializes to the people around, the role wherein he bhad once partake. A role that define the past he ran away from.

"He will have an affair with a man."

***

Kyuhyun's face turned pale, this must be some sick joke. His eyes found Sungmin's and he can see that it was quivering too, but he had endured well and was able to pull it off, as a confident professional.

"A relationship with a man?!" The board of directors exclaimed in a mixture of disgust and disbelief. "How can that be possible??"

"I was just conveying the script, my mentor gave me." Sungmin answered curtly. "It will be a very controversial concept and I'm sure people would go bizaare just to find out what we will do and how will the story go."

"And who will the actors be? Who will be crazy enough to do this concept?" One of the board has spoken.

"That's where Lee Hyukjae and the dancer Lee Donghae comes in. They will be perfect for the role..."

Sungmin huffed trying his best to control himself. His eyes landed on Hyukjae's stern ones and he knew that Hyukjae disagrees with the concept more than the officials disagrees with it.

"I object."

Kyuhyun's low husky voice made everyone on the room fell silent. That was the first time Cho Kyuhyun voiced out his opinion. The other genius had spoken.

“That concept is too controversial; there will be many people who will contradict.” Kyuhyun continued clenching his fist underneath the table, the plot should never be aired, that plot is their lives. Sungmin will hurt, and he too will suffer.

“All the more reason to continue it.” Sungmin answered him knowingly, keeping his voice from shaking. “Producer Cho, you are a business man and people might hate it for sure, but, since more people despise it more people will talk about it, arousing the curiosity that will lead to them watching the drama. That is, the initial reaction of the mass to this kind of controversy. Don’t you think I’m right, gentlemen?”

Kyuhyun unclenched his fist. Sungmin’s right, that’s the exact aim of their company in this drama, using that strategy it will make them earn the profit 2 or 3 times doubled from the budget they will release. He knew that it was a very wise strategy and he admits that he was devoured by Sungmin at that moment but that fact isn’t what keeping his heart, aching profusely.

It was the fact that Sungmin spoke of the concept that clearly states their history like it was nothing but a drama to make profit.

“If you want I can make arrangements to my mentor to modify some parts so that we can hog more viewers, I still have plans. A relationship between two guys is really preposterous but it will create another breather to the viewers and – “

“That’s enough.” Kyuhyun lost his control and snapped, banging his fist on the table. “I heard enough.”

His eyes met Sungmin and he froze. He cannot read the expression or the truth in Sungmin’s eyes, but one thing’s certain. His eyes were displaying how broken he is despite the strong façade he was emitting.

“Mr. Cho, you do know that love and hate complement each other. This drama will bring that out.” Sungmin continued.

Kyuhyun pursed his lips.

“I do know that and I have no doubts that your talent can make this one, more successful than imagined…” he stood up, eyes meeting Sungmin’s once again.

“The question is, is your ‘love’ and ‘hate’ enough to complement the true beauty of this drama?”

The question lingered through the air before Kyuhyun unlock their gaze and turn to his assistant.

“Make some arrangements. We’ll start making the film schedule.”

 

***

“What the are you thinking?!” Hyukjae exclaimed as soon as the meeting adjourned grabbing Sungmin’s arm. “Are you really sure that this project is a drama made by your mentor or an excuse to take revenge on Kyuhyun.”

Sungmin closed his eyes for a while, that’s the time he felt the fatigue on facing everyone who had once hurt him, facing the father who abandoned and disowned him. Facing the board of directors who looked at him and still expect so much from him, looking at Kyuhyun who is still trying to figure out what’s within him.

It was all too much for a day and all he need is someone to hold on to for a while, someone who won’t ask too much, and someone who will just listen.

“Hyuk please, let me breathe…” Sungmin huffed and crouched towards the table. Arms supporting his weight as he leaned forward to allow air to freely enter his lungs.

Hyukjae looked at him remorsefully, kneading his back as a sign of apology to blurting out some difficult accusations without hearing the explanation.

“Okay, just stay calm…” Hyukjae responded. “Sorry for being that rude but, you can’t blame me Min, that plot was…”

“Exactly as Kyuhyun and Mine’s history.” Sungmin finished the sentence for his bestfriend. “My mentor told me that it was a pain he had once imagined so severe, that’s why he decided to make it. He didn’t have the slightest idea that I had played that accursed role once.”

“Then why are you making it if it causes you so much pain to even mention it.”

“Because I can put it to an end, I can make a closure.” Sungmin looked at Hyukjae tears almost b to the side of his eyes. “I can close a story that was left opened once.”

“I’m sorry if I’m dragging you and Hae into this, but please help me see this to an end.”

As soon as Sungmin said that the door burst open revealing Kyuhyun’s panic-stricken face, demanding an explanation.

He stormed towards Sungmin who had barely caught up with his breath, prying the other from Hyukjae’s comforting hold then without further ado pulling the man he had not seen for years in a tight embrace.

***

Strangers meet in unusual circumstances.

They met right here on this passenger plane, Sungmin sat on a chair on the corporate suit, staring blankly at the window, not recognizing him. While he knew that face, the face of the person crying on a wedding day, the face of the person who cried as if he had lost his very will to live.

He didn’t meddle on anyone’s business but on that day he decided to keep his gaze on that pale male, and the fate made him realize why he was there to meet Sungmin.

It is because the moment Sungmin rushed out of the plane; bleeding, catching his breath and hanging on for his dear life he understand why the two of them were brought together by some twisted strings.

It has been 4 years and Sungmin meant to him more than the other can imagine, that’s why his heart wont stay calm if he let the other stay in Korea, the place that brings too many suffering for someone so pure.

“Henry, are you sure you’re going to Korea, what if your career chooses otherwise, what if you need to stay here in the states to stabilize your place in the entertainment industry.”

“That doesn’t matter right now…”

Sungmin’s all that matters.

 

I clean the traces of loving you, even your scent that fills my room


But though I try to erase the love inside of me, though I try to throw it out


It’s not that easy because you have settled in my heart

 

TBC

 

A/N: How’s this so far?? Kkk Sorry for the delayed update, hope you understand me, I’m trying my hardest to juggle my fics. If you have anything to tell me, feel free to comment below… I’ll entertain your questions if there is… Thanks so much /bows/