The First Time

Smiles & Love (One-shot)

The First Time 

 

A/N : So I've decided to write another one-shot..

 

Word count : 2529

 

Tiffany looked down, unsure of how to feel; should she be feeling happy or should she be feeling sad?

 

She stared at the mirror, what was reflected was a woman with long, black, wavy hair. She looked extremely gorgeous. The shirt she was wearing showed hints of her collar bone and her white,

milky skin. The pants she was wearing hung loosely onto her waist.

 

She was definitely the one that looked happy, and should be looking happy and confident given her looks.

 

But she wasn’t.

 

Tiffany stared at the mirror again, hoping that she could fathom her own thoughts.

 

But what she saw was empty eyes that bore dig into her soul.

 

That pair of eyes… it was supposed to look cheerful and lively but why was it different?

 

-/-/-/-/

 

The first time when Tiffany held on tight on somebody’s arms was when someone told her she’ll be sent to an orphanage.

 

She pulled her knees to her chest, wrapped her arms around them as she closed her eyes.

 

‘Tiffany?’ someone called out.

 

She couldn’t response, she wouldn’t response.

 

Then she heard that someone sighed and she could feel the person’s footstep on the ground, shuffling closer to where she was seated.

 

‘Tiffany,’ she felt the person lowering himself down, next to her, ‘please talk.’

 

‘Tiffany,’ the man lifted Tiffany’s chin up, ‘lo-.’

 

‘I’m blind,’ Tiffany replied sensitively.

 

‘I mean hear me out please, please,’ the man begged.

 

Tiffany nodded reluctantly.

 

He sighed before he continued, ‘You’ll be sent to the orphanage alone. That’s what we could do best.’

 

Tiffany remained silent but she grabbed hold of the man’s right arm.

 

‘Because you have no relative here and because you’re only fourteen, there’s no place that can offer you to stay other than the orphanage. So… so, you’ll go there… don’t worry, we’ll all visit you soon,’ the man gently placed his hand on top of Tiffany’s hand, trying to break the news as gently as possible.

 

‘When will I be going there?’ Tiffany asked.

 

‘Tomorrow,’ he replied.

 

-/-/-/

 

The first time Tiffany ever felt so happy was when she knew she could see Jessica’s face.

 

‘I can’t wait to see you,’ Tiffany smiled towards Jessica’s direction even though she couldn’t see her face.

 

But she’ll be seeing Jessica’s face in less than five hours’ time.

 

Jessica smiled lightly even though she knew that the brunette couldn’t see her. But Tiffany could sense and if Tiffany ever sensed that Jessica was feeling sad or unhappy, she wouldn’t like it.

 

‘I’m so excited,’ Tiffany emphasized as she locked her fingers with Jessica’s.

 

Tiffany was dressed in her white gown with Jessica next to her while Krystal was standing near the door, not wanting to disturb the couple’s time alone.

 

‘I’ll give you a present once you’re able to see the lights and surrounding,’ Jessica smiled.

 

‘Why would I need a present when being able to see you is already the greatest gift?’ Tiffany frowned.

 

‘Don’t frown,’ Jessica massaged the latter’s forehead, ‘you’ll be seeing soon. I just want to give you something.’

 

Krystal sighed almost inaudibly causing Jessica to turn her head to look at the younger girl.

 

Don’t sigh, Jessica told Krystal without speaking. The latter nodded and kept mum.

 

‘Is Krystal okay?’ the brunette asked carefully.

 

‘Yeah I am. I just can’t stand how lovey-dovey the both of you are getting,’ Krystal laughed causing Jessica to relax herself a little while Tiffany grinned.

 

-/-/-/

 

 

The first time they met was when they were fourteen.

 

‘Hello,’ the little blonde girl waved in front of the brunette.

 

 

‘Hello,’ Tiffany extended her arm.

 

‘Hi,’ Jessica shook her hand.

 

‘Do you want ice cream?’ Jessica offered.

 

‘No, I don’t want. Thank you for the offer,’ Tiffany rejected it politely.

 

Jessica nodded her head and they remained silent for ten minutes.

 

‘Are you angry?’ Tiffany muttered softly.

 

‘I am not,’ Jessica shook her head.

 

‘But you didn’t answer me,’ Tiffany almost cried out. Tiffany still had the fear in her. The fear when people didn’t answer her. Ever since she was blind, Tiffany became very sensitive to her surroundings. When people didn’t answer her question or when they kept mum, Tiffany would think that they’re cross with her.

 

They couldn’t blame her for thinking like that though. Tiffany was blind and she couldn’t see any response like she did previously.

 

‘But I shook my head already,’ Jessica replied softly.

 

‘I’m sorry… I couldn’t see. I’m blind,’ Tiffany hunched her shoulders.

 

‘It’s okay,’ she could feel Jessica’s little palm pressed against her arms, ‘I’ll still be your friend even when you can’t see.’

 

‘Thank you,’ Tiffany could feel a rivulet of tears streaming down her cheeks slowly.

 

It’s been a week since Tiffany was in the orphanage. Even though the in-charge there has been kind and helpful to her, Tiffany still felt that she was out-casted because of her blinded vision.

 

It was the first time after one week, when somebody had finally talked to her.

 

‘What’s your name?’ the blonde asked.

 

‘My name is Tiffany. And yours?’ Tiffany tried to keep the conversation going.

 

‘Tiffany? That’s a beautiful name. My name is Jessica and I suppose you’re fifteen too?’ Jessica inquired.

 

‘Yes,’ Tiffany nodded.

 

-/-/-/

 

It was the very first time Jessica felt that time was running out for her.

 

‘Are you serious about doing that?’ Krystal asked.

 

‘Why wouldn’t I be?’ Jessica replied as she flipped the magazine.

 

 

‘But Jessica, this is…’ Krystal sighed.

 

‘This is?’ Jessica could felt her eyebrows being knitted together.

 

‘This is crazy. I mean why would you want to do that?’ Krystal threw her hands up in exasperation.

 

‘Because it’s her that I’m saving,’ Jessica replied seriously.

 

The air in the room became thickened with awkwardness. It feels so hard to breathe with the air being so stale. Krystal looked away.

 

What could she do anyway? It was Jessica’s choice.

 

‘Krystal,’ Jessica called out.

 

‘Yeah?’ the latter looked back with hopeful eyes that Jessica will have a change of mind.

 

 

‘I’m sorry that I’ve let you down,’ Jessica held onto Krystal’s arms with teary eyes, ‘I just want her to enjoy the rest of her life.’

 

‘I know…’ Krystal sighed in defeat, ‘I’ll enjoy the last few months with you okay?’

 

‘Thank you,’ Jessica muttered so softly that it was almost inaudibly and pulled Krystal for a long hug.

 

Jessica wanted to hug the people that she loved the most before the time runs out for her.

 

-/-/-/

 

It was their first time having a meal together.

 

‘Hey Jessica,’ the brunette greeted her as she smelled Jessica’s scent as the latter walked past her, ready to occupy the seat next to her.

 

‘Your nose is so sensitive,’ Jessica joked.

 

‘Of course it is. It has to be sensitive, if not I’d be in danger,’ Tiffany laughed as she kicked her legs that was suspended slightly above the ground.

 

‘Right. What would you like to have for lunch?’

 

‘Anything would do.’

 

‘Be more specific. You know the chefs here are really good in cooking that they’ll have difficulty not knowing what to cook in particular.’

 

Tiffany giggled, Jessica seemed like a good person.

 

‘Maybe western then?’ the younger one of the both suggested.

 

‘And western, it shall be. No cucumbers for me,’ Jessica said as she walked away to place their orders.

 

They had their lunch in silence, mainly because Tiffany was awkward and she didn’t know how to start a topic with Jessica. The brunette had lost her confidence ever since she’d lost her

eyesight due to the car accident she was involved in.

 

‘Are you awkward?’ Jessica asked out of the blue as she chewed her food.

 

‘A little,’ Tiffany laughed as she scratched her head.

 

‘Okay,’ Jessica continued munching onto her food.

 

That left Tiffany slightly puzzled. Why would somebody ask the other person if she was awkward and reply so nonchalantly?

 

‘Are you awkward, then?’ Tiffany asked.

 

‘Why would I be? I feel that the silence is comfortable,’ Tiffany heard Jessica speaking in a matter-of-fact tone and could feel the blonde shrugging as she replied.

 

‘My parents once said that if somebody is comfortable with the silence you share with them, it means you really…’ Tiffany paused.

 

‘It means I’m really comfortable with you.’

 

It means you really like someone.

 

-/-/-/

 

Krystal paced up and down the room. What should she say? How should she say? What could she do?

 

Jessica sat there, ready for everything. For her smile, for her happiness, for her future.

 

Tiffany fidgeted as she lied on the bed. She would be in the operating theatre soon. She held tight onto Jessica’s hands and she immediately felt her warmth, it spread throughout her whole body,

causing her to shiver a little.

 

Tiffany prayed silently in her mind that she’d be able to see the lights, to see her surrounding, to see Jessica. She knew that there would almost be zero percentage of the operation failing, but

there’s no confirmation for it to be totally safe.

 

Tiffany was desperate to see; she was desperate to see the one who has been patiently accompanying her for almost ten years of her life, she wanted to thank this woman for she was always

there regardless of what had happened, for this woman had been patient with her, for this woman brought in colours into her world, for this woman made her felt loved again.

 

Feeling the whirlpool of emotions in her stomach, she squeezed the blonde’s hands tighter again.

 

‘You’ll be fine,’ the blonde whispered into her ears, making Tiffany relax a little.

 

‘You’d be with me after the operation has ended, right?’ Tiffany asked.

 

‘I’ll, don’t worry,’ the blonde gave Tiffany an endearing smile and Tiffany could feel it somehow.

 

-/-/-/-/

 

‘I have some physical disability too,’ she muttered out of sudden.

 

‘You?’ Tiffany raised her eyebrow.

 

‘Why? Did I sound as if I’m all healthy and mighty?’ the blonde laughed airily.

 

‘Oh no, I don’t mean it that way. It’s just a little unexpected because we have been hanging out for three months and you finally told me something more personal,’ Tiffany was feeling the sand

on the beach and hearing the waves crashing gently onto the rocks.

 

‘Oh that’s true though,’ Jessica rested her gaze on the slow moving waves, seeing it slowly washing the sands back together with the waves and back into the sea.

 

‘So… what are your physical disabilities?’ Tiffany broke the silence.

 

‘I can’t do sports because I have a hole in my heart,’ the blonde replied quietly.

 

‘That’s why you don’t join the others for soccer matches and races, isn’t it?’

 

‘Yeah, not that I don’t wish to but my body condition doesn’t permit me to do so.’

 

‘Hey,’ Tiffany moved closer to Jessica, she could feel the warmth emitting from Jessica’s arms, ‘it’s fine. You’ll still be my friend even if you have physical disabilities okay.’

 

‘Is it so?’ the latter turned her head to face Tiffany.

 

Feeling eyes on her, Tiffany nodded and replied, ‘yes, period.’

 

‘Thank you,’ Jessica circled her arms around Tiffany’s shoulders, giving the latter a shock.

 

-/-/-/-/

 

The man in white coat shook his head slightly causing Jessica’s gaze to fall onto the ground.

 

‘What am I diagnosed with?’ she asked so quietly, her tone slightly injured.

 

‘Brain cancer, Miss Jung,’ he held his clipboard close to his chest and looked apologetically at her.

 

That explains it all. It explains why Jessica’s movement has been slowing down that rapidly, it explains why she felt the tiredness kicking in so easily and relentlessly even though all she did was

to take a stroll, and it explains why she had difficulties remembering all the faces she’d seen for the past few weeks.

 

‘How long am I left with to live?’ she asked seriously.

 

‘At least a month, at most three months,’ he replied professionally with a hint of sadness in his tone.

 

‘Is there anything I could do for Tiffany, Dr Lee?’ she asked.

 

‘Maybe you could. Maybe you could donate your corneas to her,’ he suggested.

 

‘I’ll do it then.’

 

‘Are you sure, Jessica?’

 

‘Absolutely.’

 

-/-/-/

 

 

‘Jessica…’ Krystal called out.

 

‘Yes?’ the blonde rested her pen and casted her tired gaze on her sister, her one and only sister.

 

‘I just…’ Krystal couldn’t form her words, she could felt them being all jammed and stuck at the throat.

 

‘Come here,’ Jessica ushered the younger girl.

 

‘Do you really have to give up yourself now? You still have at least a month to go,’ Krystal could felt hot tears falling from her eyes.

 

must not cry, she thought.

 

 

But I couldn’t control, her mind fought back.

 

‘Don’t lie to yourself, Krystal. I know my body best. I know I’m only left with a few days. These two months with you and Tiffany have been good. Really. You don’t know how much I

wanted to live, but I couldn’t be selfish, could I?’ Jessica coughed slightly.

 

‘You could if you chose to. But you didn’t, and wouldn’t,’ Krystal looked down.

 

‘Pass it to her when she regained her conscious okay?’ Jessica pushed her pink envelope towards Krystal.

 

‘And this is for you,’ Jessica unhooked her necklace. It was a pendant with a photo of young Jessica and Krystal building sand castles at the beach.

 

-/-/-/-/

 

‘All right, now slowly open your eyes,’ the doctor instructed.

 

Tiffany gently and slowly opened her eyelids, she could see spectrums of lights slowly merging into her eyes. She squinted a little.

 

‘It’s okay, your eyes are just not used to the lights,’ the doctor encouraged softly.

 

When Tiffany tried opening her eyes again, she could see her surroundings. Herself dressed in a white dress, the doctor dressed in a white coat, smiling at her, a purple flower vase standing

proudly on the table and a girl, who has long, wavy, black hair, whom she assumed was Krystal.

 

‘Where’s Jessica?’ she questioned.

 

‘My sister…’ Krystal stopped, ‘my sister wanted me to pass you something.’

 

Krystal gently placed the pink envelope on Tiffany’s palms before she turned to whip her tears that were gathered on her eyelashes and were threatening to fall.

 

‘Hey Tiffany,

 

 You finally got to see the lights, didn’t you? I hope you cherish this pair of eyes and I hope they give you the courage explore your surroundings and please open your heart for others to enter for I’m already gone.

 

I promised to let you see me, didn’t I? I am with you forever because you get to see the world with me.

 

I love you.

 

Jessi x ‘

 

Tiffany could feel the tears in her eyes, something didn’t feel right; something was wrong.

 

‘Who donated this pair of eyes for me?’ she trembled as she asked.

 

‘Jessica, Jessica Jung,’ the doctor replied.

 

--

 

Keke, sorry that it isn’t a Stars Align update >< I promise to update it soon! It’s halfway done (:

 

Happy New Year and I hope this one-shot is fine. I just wrote it while I listened to Katy Perry’s Unconditionally x