Maybe

Smiles & Love (One-shot)

A/N : I was walking to my bathroom and this idea of ‘you’re getting onto my nerves’ popped into my head.

//Meeting you//

Tiffany drummed her fingers on her wooden desk. Sunny asked her out to meet her two other friends. Technically, she was fine with it; she didn’t even hesitate when Sunny asked the question which made it worse because it made her seem like someone who was desperate.

Desperate to have friends and a girlfriend.

Her fingers gently creep towards her phone, maybe she could give Sunny a call and tell her that she would not be available this evening because her boss requested for her to stay back.

Maybe she could. So happily she dialled Sunny’s number and was preparing to call her when a thought dawn into her.

She couldn’t and shouldn’t be doing this. She already promised Sunny to go, if she suddenly chicken out, it wouldn’t reflect well on the midget.

--

She pushed her way through the crowd. This bar was tainted blue with smoke. The music was blasting and Tiffany thought she could even feel the walls vibrating.

‘Here!’ Sunny raised her hand out of nowhere, waving frantically in the air.

‘Hey,’ Tiffany smiled as she settled herself down.

‘Guys, this is my friend, Tiffany!’ Sunny introduced her to her friend bubbly.

‘My name’s Yuri, nice to meet you,’ this girl with long, black hair extended her hand out. Her voice was really y, Tiffany thought.

‘Hey, I’m Tiffany,’ she accepted the hand shake.

This blonde lady sipped her drink as she looked at Tiffany in the eye before she introduced herself. ‘I’m Jessica.’

‘Hey Jessica, I’m-‘

‘No need to repeat. I know your name’s Tiffany.’

‘Oh, okay.’

--

They spent the rest of the night drinking and talking about nothing in particular. Except for the fact that there were several times where Jessica accidentally brushed her leg against Tiffany’s.

Those sparkles in Jessica’s eyes made her gulp for a moment before Tiffany knew how to react.

Yuri gave Tiffany a hug before she left. ‘I hope to see you soon.’

‘Me too,’ Tiffany nodded

‘It was fun knowing you,’ Jessica whispered into Tiffany’s ears from the back. ‘See you soon.’

And for the entire trip back home, Tiffany reminded herself to work her lungs muscles; to breathe.

Those frantic beating of her heart and how those little butterflies wouldn’t stop flying in her stomach made her feel sick. Is this how love feels like?

//Seeing her//

Jessica never contacted Tiffany for two months straight. Tiffany kept going back to the bar, hoping that she could ‘coincidentally’ bump into her.

She even made up the scenario.

Maybe it’s going to be like ‘Oh hey, what a coincidence to see you again?’ and Tiffany could start asking Jessica for a number and ask her out for lunch dates and eventually, they could get together.

Maybe.

But Yuri did.

Yuri came to Tiffany’s office a few days after their first meet-up in the bar and they have been hanging out since then.

Today, Tiffany was supposed to have a lunch date at Holly’s Café with Yuri. She wondered for a moment if she could ask Jessica along since she was Yuri’s friend.

‘Hey,’ Yuri knocked on her office door. ‘Ready to go?’

‘Yeah, sure.’

--

‘So…’ the both of them talked at the same time.

‘You first,’ Yuri said.

‘No, you first.’ Tiffany gestured.

‘Okay, I was wondering if we could try going out with one another? I have been seeing you almost for this entire month and honestly, I thought maybe we could try working it out?’ Yuri gave a nervous look at Tiffany.

Tiffany paused. This is going wrong. Tiffany was about to ask Yuri for Jessica’s number but the girl was asking her to be her girl friend?

Tiffany took a small breath in. Maybe Jessica wasn’t even interested in her, if not what took her so long to contact her? Maybe she could just give Yuri a chance.

‘Yeah, why not?’ Tiffany gave a warm smile. ‘We could try it out.’

‘Really?’ Yuri reached for Tiffany’s hand.

‘Yes,’ Tiffany laughed.

Maybe.

//Flirting with you//

‘Good morning,’ Yuri planted a soft kiss on Tiffany’s forehead.

Really, Tiffany should feel blessed and happy and sweet but all she could do was to smile. Like literally, curling up the side of her lips and muttering a soft ‘thanks’.

‘You’re always so polite,’ Yuri shook her head as she reached out for the latter’s arms. ‘Time to wash up!’

‘Nah, I just don’t want you to feel as if I’m taking you for granted,’ Tiffany answered as she brought her feet to the ground.

‘I know you aren’t taking me for granted. It’s not as if you’re having an affair outside, are you?’ Yuri tilted her head to look at Tiffany.

‘Nope nope,’ Tiffany smiled back sweetly.

Oh hell, she should be feeling guilty for whatever she has been doing but no, she couldn’t even feel anything.

--

Pushing through the crowds was something Tiffany hated doing. Tiffany didn’t like coming to pubs, Tiffany hated alcohol, Tiffany loved quite places.

But with Jessica, Tiffany didn’t mind having a change.

So here she is now, in this pub where everyone is singing their lungs out to the radio’s song, couples swimming their hands up and down against their partners’ body, and there’s Jessica giving her a weird smile.

‘I thought you wouldn’t come. I’m surprised,’ she swirled her drink before getting sipping it.

‘It’s nice to have a change sometimes,’ Tiffany cooed. The music is so loud, Tiffany could feel her heart thumping towards those beats.

‘Right. Shall we get drunk and wasted?’ Jessica laughed as she poured more wine into her glass.

‘Stop, stop,’ Tiffany snatched her drink. ‘With the amount you’re drinking, you could get kidney failure.’

‘Oh Tiffany,’ Jessica gave a weird laughter. ‘What’s breaking down of a body organ compared to a broken soul?’

‘What do you mean?’ Tiffany gulped. Who dared to break Jessica Jung’s heart?

‘You. You didn’t tell me that you were attached with Yuri. You didn’t even contact me!’ Jessica cried.

‘Oh wow, chill, I mean I was waiting for you to call me but you didn’t?’ Tiffany scooted nearer to the blonde.

‘What? Tiffany? I don’t even have your number,’ Jessica rolled her eyes. ‘Anyway if you aren’t interested in me, you shouldn’t even make your way here, you know. My heart can’t handle false hopes.’

‘Well, I didn’t have your number. Yuri didn’t have my number either. But she visited me at my work place once every few days. You didn’t,’ Tiffany gave her a cold look.

‘Bloody hell, I was overseas the entire 2 months. Was I supposed to fly from America back to Seoul once every few days?’

‘You were overseas? But I asked Yuri where you were and she said you were busy with work in Seoul and…’

‘Of course that would say something like that. She has liked you the moment she laid her eyes on youuuuu,’ Jessica pointed her finger towards Tiffany.

‘She lied to me,’ Tiffany hissed.

‘You were dumb enough to believe though,’ Jessica stole her drink back and gulped it down.

‘Jess, let me send you back home,’ she stood up, pulling Jessica’s arm. ‘Let’s go.’

--

‘Okay, now that I’ve sent you back home safely. I can go now,’ Tiffany mumbled even though she was dying to stay.

‘Okay,’ Jessica shrugged as she struggled to find her keys in her purse.

Tiffany stood there silently, wanting to leave only after Jessica has opened up the door ( and maybe pull her in).

‘Okay, goodnight,’ Jessica pushed open her door.

‘I should really get going…’ Tiffany sighed.

‘Nah, just joking. We could do something hot tonight,’ Jessica smirked as she took a step out, taking Tiffany’s arm and locking the door.

//Breaking up with her//

Yuri waited patiently in the café. It has been 30 minutes and Tiffany has yet appeared.

‘Sorry for the wait,’ Tiffany panted as she settled into her seat.

‘It’s fine, you look so tired and-‘

‘Nah, Yuri. I’ve got something to tell you,’ Tiffany pulled her hand back.

‘Oh, okay. What is it?’ She could see how hard Yuri was trying to maintain that smile on her face.

‘We should break up,’ Tiffany said with her cold, hard eyes staring at Yuri.

‘I mean, why? We could always make things work like you know…’ Yuri continued blabbering and only stopped when she felt that piercing stare from Tiffany.

‘Is it because of Jessica?’ Yuri croaked.

‘It’s not because of Jess. It’s because you lied. You knew I liked her and well, the feeling is mutual. But you, lied,’ she spat her last word out.

‘I didn’t mean it , Tiffany. I love you too much-‘

‘Bye.’

And she walked out of the café so calmly.

It should hurt. Maybe Tiffany should be crying her lungs out, maybe Tiffany should be spreading how Yuri is a and had an affair (when the culprit was Tiffany) and maybe she should be using lots of tissue to blow her nose.

But no, Tiffany was just lying on Jessica’s bed and staring at her sleeping figure.

What a beautiful.

//Loving you//

Not soon after Tiffany broke up with Yuri, the two of them got attached.

Last time, Tiffany kept wondering how is it possible for you to love someone just in a few months. How do you even know if this person is the ‘right one’? But as soon as she met Jessica, she realized that only Jessica can explain this to her.

//

She inhaled as she unlocked her door. Jessica has been stressed up recently because of her demanding work. Sometimes she would not say anything and head to bed, sometimes she would roll her eyes at everything Tiffany said and sometimes she would lock Tiffany out of their bedroom.

Tiffany took it all but she didn’t mind. When you love someone, you’ll have to accept them for who they are.

‘Jessi?’ Tiffany called out. Jessica wasn’t in the living room watching television programme neither is she in the kitchen sipping her coffee.

‘Jessi?’ Tiffany knocked on the door, hoping that she’ll be able to find Jessica in their study room.

Tiffany was right, Jessica was in their study room, working on her articles.

‘Jessi,’ Tiffany smiled as she walked up to her.

‘Oh god, Tiffany. You’ve called my name three times within 5 minutes,’ Jessica grunted.

‘Yeah,’ Tiffany gave a dry laughter. ‘You look so stress, perhaps you would wanna take a break?’

‘No,’ Jessica shook her head as she punched her keyboard furiously. ‘This needs to be done today.’

‘A five minute break wouldn’t do any harm,’ Tiffany whined.

‘Tiffany,’ the blonde hissed. ‘You’re getting onto my nerves.’

She sighed as she took a step back.  One of the days where Jessica Jung rages on everything.

‘You know, you get onto my nerves every single day,’ Tiffany placed emphasis on every character she had spoken.

‘What?’ Jessica turned her chair to face Tiffany. She didn’t look please, instead she looked like she could burn Tiffany alive with those fires in her eyes.

Tiffany sighed. ‘You get onto my nerves every day. You’re so beautiful ever since I first laid my eyes on you and you frustrate me with your beauty. How could anyone have this little smiley face even when they are asleep…’

‘Oh…’ Jessica looked down, face in crimson red. ‘I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be like that…’

“I’m just so stressed every day and I don’t think I can ever allow myself to rest when I’m not even done with my work and all…”

‘Nah, it’s fine. You just wanna complete your work ASAP, that’s all,’ Tiffany gave her a warm smile as she gentle cupped Jessica’s face.

‘I think I’m loving you more than I should,’ Jessica gave a soft chuckle.

‘That’s fine. Because I’m doing the same.

//fin