Stars Align (Chapter 7)

Smiles & Love (One-shot)

A/N : My apologies for taking such a long time to update ;; was busy preparing myself to go select my courses for colleague which starts in April! Congrats to self for getting 3 distinctions & 4 Bs’ in the ‘O’ Levels results :D

Here we go!

Stars Align [Chapter Seven]

 

‘Hey Jessi, who is that?’ Tiffany back-hugged Jessica and she was stunned for a while because she had seen this face somewhere before.

‘You must be Jessica’s girlfriend. Hi, I am Katherine,’ she offered a handshake but Jessica slapped her arms away.

Jessica brushed a lock of the brunette’s hair to the back of her ear and gently kissed her on the lips. Tiffany widened her eyes at the sudden kiss while Katherine sighed inaudibly.

**

‘What do you exactly want?’ Jessica had drummed her fingers on the glass table as she glared at Katherine, hard.

Katherine was sitting opposite of Jessica while Tiffany was located next to the latter.

‘I just came to visit Tegan and you,’ Katherine said.

Jessica scoffed, ‘you think I’d actually believe your sh*t?’

‘Jessica,’ Katherine reached out her hands towards the blonde but the blonde’s reflex action was almost instant; she pulled back her arms.

‘You know what, you should just leave once you’ve seen Tegan,’ Jessica snapped.

‘Must you be this hostile to me?’ she almost cried out.

‘Don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t be,’ the blonde answered every question of Katherine’s almost furiously. How could you expect her to be all polite when all Katherine did is to come and go as she pleases?

‘I think… I think we should just let Katherine stay here for a few days before she goes back,’ Tiffany said quietly, almost afraid that her answer would make the already staled air become even more difficult to breathe.

‘We?’ Katherine asked with a sarcasm-filled tone, signaling to Tiffany how the word ‘we’ even shouldn’t even exist in the sentence.

‘We, of course it is a ‘we’,’ Jessica agreed.

‘So? Does the ‘we’ includes m-‘

‘’We’ means Jessica and Tiffany,’ the blonde smirked because she saw how Katherine’s face was crumpled with slight jealousy and mostly sadness.

The blonde stood up, walking next to Katherine and whispered ever so silently into her ears, ‘leave us alone and stop harassing us.’

Jessica then pulled Tiffany up and they shared the same bed that night, leaving Katherine alone in the living room with gritted teeth.

-/-/-/-/-/

‘Good morning Sunshine,’ Tegan could feel the warmth emitting from the fingers that were gently caressing her cheeks.

The child pushed open her heavy eyelids, she whispered a sweet ‘Good morning’ before she screamed her lungs out.

‘WHO ARE YOU?!’ Tegan shouted at the woman in front of her. How could this unfamiliar face in front of her look so familiar?

‘I am your Mummy Ka-‘

‘Go away,’ Tegan jumped out of her bed.

‘You haven’t heard me yet,’ Katherine almost begged.

‘I don’t need to know who you are, I don’t want to know,’ the child turned the knob down before she exited the room. Tiffany and Jessica looked at the child with knitted eyebrows and they sighed in unison.

-/-/-/

Breakfast that morning became unusually quiet. Normally when they had breakfast in the weekends, the whole dining table would be in a mess and there would be continuous laughter with butter-stained nose on each other their faces, hot chocolate spilled on the table and sweet kisses planted on each other’s forehead.

However there were only awkward questions and worried glances towards Tegan that morning.

‘So…’ Katherine spoke.

‘So?’ Tegan raised her eyebrow and glanced at the woman in front of her.

‘So, Happy birthday to you,’ Katherine managed a light smile and reached her hands out to try to pat the girl’s head, but she dodged it just in time.

‘Thanks,’ she took a bite from her bread and murmured.

The four had their breakfast quietly before Katherine popped a question again.

‘Do we really have to be like this? Like getting all awkward with Jessica and Tegan avoiding me?’ she sighed dramatically.

‘Wow wow, did you hear what she’d just said?’ Tegan laughed while the duo dropped their jaws after hearing Tegan’s reaction.

‘Tegan,’ Katherine gritted her teeth, ‘stop being so rude to me.’

‘I beg your pardon?’ the sound of metals clanking against glass could be heard when Tegan had placed her cutlery down on the table.

‘I said, stop being so rude towards me!’ Katherine screamed.

‘Honestly Katherine, you should st-‘ but Tiffany’s sentence had got broken by Katherine.

‘I don’t think you’re anyone to talk here,’ Katherine spilled the words out of .

‘You’re the one who should just shut the fu*k up instead. Who are you to come here to disturb our peace and then tell my girlfriend to shut up? You’re lucky to even be allowed into our apartment. And here you are, demanding Tegan to be polite to you when you’re the one who has been the rude one since the start?’ Jessica stood up, toppling her chair back and almost having the urge to splash her hot chocolate on Katherine.

‘Of course I am rude,’ Tegan had let the words rolled out of her tongue.

‘What?’ Tiffany had shaken her head furiously.

‘You finally admitted it,’ Katherine smirked.

‘Because I don’t have a mother to teach me right from wrong, I only have two mummies who treated me like their real blood and flesh, bringing me out to play, accompanying me whenever I need a shoulder to cry on. I don’t know you though, who cares about their biological mother when she already has two mothers who are willing to do anything for her?’

‘Tegan!’ Katherine’s whole body was stiffened with anger as she abruptly stood up, her face was flushed red with the anger flowing in her blood, and the blue veins were visible on her neck.

‘Get out,’ Tiffany had dragged Katherine into her own pink room.

-/-/-/-/-/

Tegan had wailed loudly in Jessica’ embrace after the heated morning quarrel and Jessica had spent her morning comforting the little girl.

It started with Tegan entering the room calmly but with each step she had taken, disappointment had circled her heart.

The younger girl had placed herself atop of a stool and hung her head down as sat there almost motionless.

‘Love?’ Jessica took baby steps to approach the latter but she did not reply. The blonde had kneeled down in front of the latter and managed to fake a smile as the younger one looked at her.

But the smile had slowly faded off Jessica’s face as she saw how the brown, almond pools of Tegan’s had been weighed down by sadness and disappointment. The last time when Tegan had this look was when Katherine had left her alone with Jessica.

The first tear had dropped from Tegan’s left eye as she had lifted her head up to look at Jessica. The second tear had leaked out of her right eye as Jessica gave her a gentle smile, hoping that the girl would feel slightly better but the opposite happened instead. Then there came the rivulet of tears that couldn’t stop seeping out of the younger’s closed eyelids as she was being embraced by Jessica.

‘Love…’ Jessica spoke softly, as if afraid that even a single word would break the already fragile girl.

‘She doesn’t even understand me at all,’ Tegan had choked on her words as she said with a resentful tone.

And Jessica had allowed the girl to open up. Jessica understood this kind of feeling. It all started with resentment, anger-filled words to cover up your sadness for a particular event. And then as the anger slowly fades away, your heart bleeds a little as you allow yourself to open up to the incident. You cry and cry and cry because maybe that’s the only way to let out how you truly feel.

Slowly you become a little bitter as the days pass by and soon you learn to let go.

But damn, this girl was too young and adorable to be feeling all these mixed emotions. Tegan should be crying over the fact that Jessica had forbidden her to get Barbie dolls, and not because her biological mother had come back to speak nonsense to her.

Tegan had been sobbing for the past 1o minutes that Jessica had felt the right side of her sleeves getting wet because of that. But she wouldn’t mind, she wanted the girl to cry, to stop being so strong for once.

‘Isn’t she supposed,’ the younger one had hiccupped for a while before she continued, ‘isn’t she supposed to teach me right from wrong instead of saying I’m a rude child?’

‘Isn’t she supposed to love me and give me a hug instead of a simple ‘Happy birthday to you’?’

‘Isn’t she supposed to be kind towards the three of us instead of showing her attitude around?’

‘Yes she is supposed to. But she didn’t,’ Jessica had force a look at the child’s face and wiped her tears away.

‘I don’t expect you to understand anymore. Really, Tegan. Because whatever she’s done is beyond our imagination and I don’t even know how to understand her. I’ve given up on her. But you must not,’ Jessica could see Tegan’s weary eyes widen a little.

‘Because at the end of the day, she is still your mother, be it you welcome her or not. You have to show her your respect no matter how unreasonable, obnoxious she has become. We can be rude to her, but you cannot be,’ the blonde had spoken in such a quiet yet firm tone. Getting every words splashed right onto Tegan’s mind.

‘But why are you still on her side even after how badly she’s treated you?’ and Jessica understood that what Tegan had meant was more than merely what had happened in the morning.

‘Because I’m supposed to teach you right from wrong, remember?’ Jessica had planted a light kiss on the girl’s forehead before the girl had lied quietly in her arms.

-/-/-/-/-/

‘You name your reasons for coming here. Right now,’ Tiffany had slammed her door shut as she pushed Katherine into the room.

‘Why are you being so hostile, my dear?’ Katherine had chuckled as she pulled a chair and glanced over at Tiffany.

‘Are you sure you want to play this game with me, now?’ Tiffany had kept her voice low but it was threatening enough to cause Katherine to stop breathing for a while.

‘Is this the way how we greet each other?’ Katherine spoke still, obviously trying to hide her fear. She’s always been the dominant one no matter in which situation even when she’s afraid.

‘Katherine oh Kathrine. Are you trying to digress off the topic by changing your style of speaking?’ The brunette had stood right in front of the latter, folding her arms and looking right into her eyes.

Katherine her blinked her eyes twice, and the more she blinked, the more Tiffany was sure that she was trying to hide her fear that was already hidden behind her brown eyes.

‘I came back to look for Jessica. It has got nothing to do with you,’ Katherine finally gave in.

Tiffany scoffed.

‘What?’ Katherine had raised her eye brow.

‘You think I’d believe this ?’ Tiffany glared at Katherine.

‘Fine. I came back with the intention to bring Jessica and Tegan back to America. I want them to meet my parents,’ the latter had said.

‘Who are you to? Who are you to bring them back as and when you fancy? If you didn’t bring Jessica back to visit your parents 7 years ago, what makes you think you could bring her back this time round?’ Tiffany laughed.

‘Tiffany Hwang, you stay out of my affairs,’ the distance between Tiffany and Katherine had become almost zero.

Tiffany pushed her back before she allowed the mean words to roll off her tongue easily, ‘I will not. Not anymore, Katherine Nicole. The world doesn’t revolve around you anymore. You’re no longer my competitor, heck, you don’t even fit to be one. ‘

Almost losing her balance after hearing those words from Tiffany, Katherine regained her balance by holding her palm on top of the girl’s study table.

‘Wouldn’t you be nice to me, for once?’ Katherine spat.

‘Oh, I wasn’t? I told you to not push your blame to Tegan just now and you shut me up. Now are you begging me?’ it was as if Tiffany’s words were as powerful as gunfire that it had heightened the atmosphere in the room.

‘I told you I didn’t come to fight with you for anything.’

‘Jessica is mine and so is Tegan, and you’re bringing them away. So you’re coming to fight with me.’

‘I make sure you’ll regret if you ever join in,’ Katherine smirked as she stood near the door.

‘You stupid fu*ckin b*tch,’ Tiffany had kept her low, threatening voice, ‘I’ll make sure you wouldn’t win this time,’ Tiffany had whispered next to Katherine’s ear, causing the latter to shiver.

‘Jessica hates liars. You haven’t told her your background, have you? How would she feel if she knew you came from a rich family?’ the latter had offered so easily, as if it would catch Tiffany off-guard.

‘I think she’d be angry,’ Tiffany murmured a little, causing Katherine to turn back.

‘Because the biggest liar is already presented in front of her and I didn’t tell her that this big liar used to be my friend. She’d be furious, because she’d want to keep me off you,’ Tiffany had finished off the sentence with a grin spread across her face as if the victory was already in her hands.

 

 

 

Comments :D