Stars Align (Chapter 2)

Smiles & Love (One-shot)

A/N :HEYYYY, I'm back! Okay, let the Katherine part slowly unfold itself okay (: Meanwhile, try to focus on Jessica, Tegan and Tiff (: I'm gonna start working tomorrow, kinda earlier than expected >< I'll update, let's say either this weekend if not next Monday! 

Enjoy (:

Word Count : 2078

 

Chapter Two

Tiffany covered her eyes with her right arm as the sun came creeping into her room. ‘What a bright, yellow Sun,’ Tiffany mumbled as she stared onto her ceiling.

It was a Saturday morning, she suddenly felt the relief as she lied on bed.

Today I’m just going to lie on my bed for as long as I want, wake up for a meal that’s in between breakfast and lunch before I go strolling in the park. Tiffany’s face was decorated with a smile as she started thinking about what she should do for the rest of the day.

Lying on her bed, with her arms sweeping the sheets of her bed from top to sink, she stared at the ceiling, still. She wondered about that blonde lady, not knowing her name, Tiffany decided to name her as ‘Winnie the Pooh’. Probably because that blonde’s hair isn’t too much of a strong blond colour, but still had a faint shade of blond and yellow.

‘But ‘Winnie the Pooh’ is such a long name… Pooh, maybe? Pooh sounds great,’ Tiffany talked to herself.

‘Pooh, it is then!’ Tiffany nodded to herself about the new self-created name for the blonde.

Tiffany thought of how long she hasn’t seen the ‘Pooh’ in school since they had lessons in the theatre, it has been 4 days. The former is quite a friendly girl; she smiles to whoever she sees in school. Being in the school for at least three years, Tiffany had seen many familiar faces but definitely not the blonde’s.

Tiffany had gone around the canteen, field, library, just to look for the ‘Pooh’, but had received nothing in return except for the slight disappointment whenever she’d failed.

She could be a new comer.

Yet Tiffany couldn’t forget how the ‘Pooh’s’ eyes looked, hurt and vulnerable, as if the whole world had abandoned her and left her a burden to carry on with. It could be a burden that the blonde was forced to carry, maybe… maybe her mum decided to ditch the blonde because the blonde was rebellious and went to change her hair colour. Or maybe because the blonde kept skipping lessons, that’s why she got ignored.

Why am I making so many scenarios in my head?

But I guess I just wanna see her again.

‘Enough of movie making in head!’ Tiffany hit herself, unexpectedly harder when the doorbell rang.

**

“Mummy J, is this our new house?’ Tegan asked, slightly nervous, while tugging onto Jessica’s shirt.

‘Yes, love. Here’s our new house,’ Jessica smiled at the girl as she did a final knock on the door.

‘Comingggggg!’ Jessica could hear the owner of the flat screaming.

When the door flung open, Tiffany’s eyes doubled itself; Jessica had a shock expression written on her face while Tegan was beaming happily.

Tiffany was still blinking as she watched the two in front of her house door.

She surely isn’t dreaming, is she?

‘Pooh bear!!!’ Tiffany exclaimed.

‘Pooh bear?’ Jessica raised an eyebrow.

‘You have a Pooh bear? It’s my favourite!’ Tegan giggled as she approached Tiffany.

Afraid, Tiffany froze as Tegan approached her. Tegan began to take a step back as she sensed Tiffany’s fear.

‘Mummy J,’ Tegan tugged Jessica’s shirt, causing Jessica to squat down as she neared her ears for Tegan to whisper,’ is she afraid of me?’

‘No baby, she’s just shy,’ Jessica hugged to assure Tegan.

‘Uhm, I’m sorry. Do you guys want to come in? You’re the new tenant, right?’ Tiffany fidgeted as she asked Jessica.

‘Yeah,’ was all Jessica managed to say.

Tegan stood near the door with her luggage as Jessica told her to, while the latter was carrying her own luggage into the room, showed by Tiffany.

‘Hey girl, do you need help with your luggage?’ Tiffany smiled as she lowered to Tegan’s eye level.

‘Do you mind helping?’ Tegan looked at Tiffany with her big eyes.

‘Of course not,’ Tiffany held her hand out as a permission for Tegan to pass her luggage to her. Instead, Tegan took Tiffany’s hand and offered a hand shake, ’My name is Tegan, nice to meet you.’

‘My name’s Tiffany, you can call my Hwang, nice to meet you too,’ Tiffany returned the hand shake, chuckling.

Jessica stood near her door as she witnessed Tegan and Tiffany exchanged their greetings. She smiled to herself, knowing the potential of how close Tegan will be with Tiffany.

‘T,’ Jessica called out as she signaled Tegan to go closer to her. Unexpectedly, Tiffany was walking with Tegan too.

‘Mummy J, she’s my new friend. Name’s Tiffany,’ Tegan took her Tiffany’s hand as she walked towards Jessica, introducing Tiffany proudly to her own Mummy.

‘I know, will you settle your luggage first, baby? I’ll get to you later,’ Jessica patted Tegan’s head.

**

‘How do you know my name?’ Tiffany was leaning on the counter, next to Jessica as she poured herself a cup of water while Jessica was washing the dishes.

‘We’re from the same lecture,’ Jessica said as she focused on her dish-washing.

‘But I don’t know yours,’ Tiffany answered back, as casually as she could.

‘Name’s Jessica,’ Jessica turned to look at the latter.

‘Hi Jessica!’ Tiffany smiled as she offered her hand for another hand shake. Jessica gave a side grin as she eyes her own hands, making Tiffany interpret that she was washing her dishes and was unable to do a formal hand shake.

‘Oh, I’d forgotten you’re washing the dishes,’ Tiffany gave a light chuckle, embarrassed.

‘It’s fine. Could you do me a favour?’ Jessica asked seriously.

‘Yeah, sure. What is it?’ Tiffany looked at the latter as she took a sip from her cup.

Jessica moved closer to Tiffany as she whispered, ‘Don’t tell anyone about Tegan.’

‘Oh okay,’ Tiffany nodded, feeling her cheeks blushing unknowingly, just because Jessica whispered to her.

**

Tiffany returned from school earlier than Jessica did, as always. Tiffany had no idea where Jessica was despite staying with her for 10 days. Jessica would always leave for school earlier than Tiffany did, along with Tegan. And when Tiffany had returned, it was only Tegan that was left alone at home. Tiffany felt like she’d known Tegan more than she’d known Jessica, which was normal because Tiffany only managed to exchange ‘goodnights’ with the latter.

Tiffany did her shower and saw Tegan sitting on the dining table, drawing. Intrigued, Tiffany fished out for her homework as she sat opposite of Tegan. Tegan gave her a light smile and surprisingly, the girl did not disturb Tiffany for the entire duration when she was doing her homework.

It was only when Tiffany felt that she was tired of doing her homework did she started chatting with Tegan.

‘Tiga, you like to draw?’ Tiffany asked the girl.

‘Tiga? Is this your new nickname for me?’ the girl looked up at Tiffany with her big, round eyes.

‘Yes,’ Tiffany smiled as she continued, ‘you like drawing?’

‘Yes, drawing is fun, how about you?’ Tegan smiled as she looked at Tiffany.

‘Well, I can’t draw,’ Tiffany giggled, ‘but I love to read and play my guitar. It’s pink in colour!’

‘Guitar? Mummy J loves guitar. She plays it too, but that’s before Mummy Kat left me alone with Mummy J. Mummy J loves to read too. We have a whole lot of books,’ Tegan placed her crayon on the dining table as she rested her chin on her palm.

Unsure of what to say, Tiffany asked a simple question, ‘Is Mummy J your real mummy?’

‘No, but I treat her as a real one,’ Tegan stared back at Tiffany.

‘Is your mummy J always busy? I don’t seem to see her a lot,’ Tiffany asked curiously.

‘Mummy J has to work, in school. She works in the library to earn some money so that we can afford to eat, though Mummy Kat sends some money for us to use,’ Tegan replied sensibly.

“She works in the library? I see. How old is your Mummy J?”

“24.”

--

That night when Jessica returned, she saw Tegan sleeping on Tiffany’s lap while the latter was humming songs for the sleeping girl. Jessica gently tapped on Tiffany’s shoulder, causing her to turn. The former placed a finger on her own lips as she gently scooped Tegan into her arms, trying to not stir the girl up from her sleep.

Once Jessica returned, she bowed lightly to thank Tiffany. But Tiffany caught Jessica’s arm before she could leave, ‘Take a seat.’

‘What is it? I’m stinking and all,’ Jessica looked at Tiffany.

‘Do you need help?’ Tiffany asked sincerely.

‘Help for which? Help for what?’ Jessica ruffled her hair, confusion evident in her eyes. Tiffany realized that Jessica had dark circles, huge dark circles around her eyes.

‘Help for taking care of Tegan, help for scholarship,’ Tiffany looked into Jessica’s eyes.

‘I don’t need any help,’ Jessica replied with her icy tone.

‘You’re lying,’ Tiffany said, though she was slightly hurt that her help was rejected by Jessica. She knew that Jessica was putting on a strong front, and to tear her walls down, the only thing Tiffany could do is to put on an even stronger one.

‘Tiffany, I appreciate your help. But there’s nothing I can really do except to work and study at the same time,’ Jessica’s eyes were filling.

‘Hey,’ Tiffany shuffled nearer to Jessica and took her hand, ‘if you need a listening ear or a shoulder to lie on, I’m here. If you don’t feel good, I’m here for you too.’

Jessica said nothing but just laid her head onto Tiffany’s shoulder, Tiffany placed a protective arm around her, moving her hands up and down Jessica’s arm to calm the girl down. Tiffany didn’t want to force Jessica to say things out, not when the latter didn’t want to.

If Jessica didn’t want to say anything, the least Tiffany could do is to lend her a shoulder to cry on, or at least, a comforting shoulder for Jessica whenever she needs it.

--

‘Mummy J,’ Tegan muffled as she climbed closer to Jessica.

‘Hmm?’ Jessica looked at the sleeping girl.

Tegan did nothing but gave a childish smile before her breathing became still, and eventually deepen with sleep.

Jessica smiled at the young girl in front of her, sleepy as usual. Gently her hair, caressing her cheeks, Tegan reminded Jessica about somebody. Somebody named Katherine.

Flashback

‘Jessica?’ Katherine knocked on her door with a small voice.

‘Yeah? Come in,’ Jessica replied, eyes still focusing on her presentation slides as she had one to present for her Economics tutorial the next day.

‘I am…’ Katherine paused, unsure about how to continue.

‘You’re?’ Jessica inquired, eyes still focused on her laptop.

‘I’m pregnant,’ Katherine mumbled.

‘You’re pregnant?’ Jessica turned to face Katherine, jaws agape.

‘Yes…’ Katherine shuffled closer, attempting to hold Jessica.

‘Kat, is this some kind of a sick joke? ‘Jessica shook her head, unable to comprehend the whole situation.

 ‘Jessica, I’m sorry… I know I shouldn’t have done that, it was all on impulse. I had a drink with TaecYeon and it just…’ Katherine attempted to explain.

‘And it just so happened all on sudden? He stripped you off your clothes, while he drags his pants down, forcing on you?!’ Jessica retorted back, eyes on fire.

‘Jessica, no, it was just a meet up for ourselves, we didn’t know we couldn’t handle all those alcohol… Jessi please…’ Katherine begged, tears b her eyes as she tried to touch Jessica’s arm.

‘You didn’t know you guys can’t handle alcohol? Then why in the first place did you guys even drink?!’ Jessica scoffed, ‘I should have known what you were doing back then.’

‘Jessica, I didn’t mean it, really,’ Katherine began to close up the physical gap between Jessica and her.

‘Don’t,’ Jessica took a step back, tear streaming down her face,’ don’t touch me.’

Katherine froze, never had she seen Jessica cried before, never had she seen that kind of hurt in Jessica’s eyes, never had Jessica once uttered a single word that would hurt Katherine.

‘Jessi, just listen, I really...’ Katherine paused, knowing that she was just finding mere excuses for herself just to get Jessica back.

‘How could you get yourself pregnant when you’re my girlfriend? My future wife-to-be?’ Jessica spat the words out sadly, eyes stinging from tears as she walked out of the house.