VI.

Shattered

6 > > >

 

             Luhan was watching her every move. He was watching when she was tapping her fingers on her leg; he was watching when she was looking awkwardly at their entwined hands. He was watching when she was checking her watch impatiently and when she let out a sigh.  

             Luhan turned to the window and watched her reflection. He furrowed his brows. *Do you not like being with me that much?*

             Then she suddenly turned to face him. Luhan immediately pretended he was just looking out the window. Even if he wasn't watching her reflection in the window which he was, he could still feel her blank stare piercing through him. *She really couldn't be more obvious."

             "It's rude to stare at people."

             A smile tugged at his lips as he watched her blush then look away. *Some things never change. You're still as cute as you were before.*

             "Sure, and I'm a girl."

             He watched her reaction through her reflection again. *You still have that habit of biting your lip.*

             "W-where are we going?"

             Luhan smiled to himself. *Some place very special. Where we first met.*

             "You'll see."

             He stopped looking at her reflection for a while and gazed at the scenery outside. People were walking around with their scarves and light jackets. Some just wore long sweaters. He looked to the sky then back to her reflection. *Ah, the sun is disappearing. It's going to get colder than it already is. Will you be fine in your light clothing?*

             "How long did you wait?"

             He watched her face. "Hmm, just about one hour outside in the cold weather."

             She suddenly faced him, and he was surprised to see such a panicked expression. "One hour?! Are you that desperate to talk to me?"

             *Yes.*  

             Luhan shrugged. "I was kidding."

             *I actually waited for 2 hours.*

             She let out a sigh of relief, and Luhan almost laughed at her reaction. He furrowed his brows to keep himself from laughing. *Don't laugh Luhan. Don't laugh.*

             "Why do you want to talk to me?"

             "Just because."  *You wouldn't believe the reason if I told you.*

             Yoona stopped talking, and Luhan continued watching her reflection. The sun suddenly shone on his face. He squinted. *Ah, we should be almost there.*

             "Where did you get that sca--"

             Luhan's eyes were still adjusting from the sunlight when he turned to face her. 

             "Why do you ask so many questions?" 

             Luhan pained to see her expression. *Ah. I shouldn't have said that, but it's really better if you didn't know.*

             "Stand up."

             She blinked at him innocently. *Ahh, why are you so cute?*

             "We're getting off here."

 

< | >

             When they got to the cafe, the enveloping scent of coffee welcomed him like it always had. He looked around the shop and smiled to see that things haven't changed. The old picture frames were still decorating the place, and the shop still hadn't replaced their old collection of books. Luhan smiled. *I missed this place.*

             He turned to Yoona and watched as she reached for one of the photos.  *Ah, not that.*

             He quickly pulled her hand away. "Don't touch that."

             He led her straight to the table he always went to in the past. *Did you know that this is the exact table where I first met you? I guess you wouldn't know that.*

             "Sit."

             Yoona fidgeted from her place. "Um, I can't sit if you're still holding onto my hand."

             Luhan felt his cheeks go warm. He hesitantly let go of her hand and mumbled a quick apology. *Ah, but I still want to hold your hand after all.*

             She smiled at him and made her way to her seat across him. Luhan tapped his fingers nervously on the table. *What should I be saying at this moment? I don't even know what to talk about yet. . . . . You are so dead, Luhan.*

             "What do you want to drink?"

             "Uh, coffee?"

             *Stupid question, Luhan! Of course she came here for coffee.*

             "Duh, this is a coffee shop. What else would we order? I meant what kind of coffee, dummy."

             He watched as Yoona paled a bit and her lips. *I'm the real dummy, sorry. You wouldn't know what kind of drinks are served here.*

             Luhan awkwardly cleared his throat and gestured for the waitress.

             "We'll have two cups of latte macchiato and a slice of strawberry cheesecake."

             After giving the order, he immediately turned his attention to Yoona. *I hope I wasn't too harsh.*

             Yoona's eyes were clearly following the waitress's move. Her eyes had this spark of curiosity to it. *Yoona-ah, is it coming back to you? Are our memories coming back to you?*

             "How did you know I was going to order latte macchiato?"

             Luhan shrugged. *Because you always ordered it when we came here.*

             "I didn't. You were just taking too long so I decided what to order by myself."

             He could see Yoona frowning at his answer, and he mentally scolded himself for giving half-assed replies. He wanted to tell her the truth. He wanted to relay to her all their memories, but he knew it wouldn't work. She was gone.

             Yoona suddenly spoke up.  "So. . . . . What did you need me for?"

             Luhan mentally slapped himself at this moment. *Good going, Luhan. You totally forgot to make an excuse.*

             He faced her with his best innocent-looking smile, hoping it would be enough to make up for what he was about to say. "Actually, I didn't need you for anything. I just wanted to talk to you that's pretty much it."

             He could see Yoona suppressing her anger as she bit her lip. *Ahh, what did you do, Luhan?*

             "We're talking so uhh, what did you want to talk about." 

             *I don't know.*

             And Luhan slipped. The moment he saw that look in Yoona's eyes, he realized he had said that out loud.

              "Are you saying you brought me here in this coffee shop in some town I don't know just so you could talk to me about nothing? And not mention, waste my time?"

              *Might as well play the part.* 

              Luhan tapped his fingers playfully on the table. "Technically, I said nothing about wasting your time."

              Yoona crossed her arms. "Well you are wasting my time. Look, you seem like a nice guy, but I can't waste my time any more than you have so don't mind if I take my leave now. Good bye."

              She quickly stood up and slung her bag over her shoulder and made her way out the shop, leaving Luhan feeling quite amused.

              Luhan smiled to himself. *Interesting girl, but I can't let you go just yet.*

              "Excuse me. Can I have my coffee as take-out instead?"

 

< | >

              Yoona walked on the sidewalk grudgingly as she watched the leaves slowly fall to the ground. Somehow, it wasn't as nice as it was before. Her mood was sullen, and this was all because of him. 

              She actually felt bad for leaving him, but then again, she didn't like that her time was wasted. She didn't like that she was fooled into believing the guy had something to talk about. Worst of all, she was now walking in the middle of no where thanks to this guy.

              "Argh! Why were you so stupid, Yoona? You knew better than to trust boys! And now look at the situation you're in."

              Yoona continued to walk and stopped when she saw a nearby park. The night air was chilly, and Yoona regretted wearing so little. When she got to the park, she immediately collapsed on one of the old swings and started swinging back and forth.

              "It would at least be better if you wore warmer clothes, but no, you just had to wear a cute floral dress. Why are you so stupid, Yoona?"

              "You know. Talking to yourself is not healthy."

              Yoona turned to look at the familiar voice. The boy smiled at her and extended the drink he was holding.

              "You forgot your coffee."

              Yoona frowned at him as she took the hot drink. *It's better than nothing.*

              "And who's fault do you think it is?"

              The boy shrugged and sank to the swing beside Yoona. "Honestly, I don't know."

              Yoona punched him lightly on the arm. "Yah, it's obviously your fault."

              The boy turned to face her. His eyes looked so sincere. "Yeah, I know, and I'm sorry."

              Yoona pursed her lips. "Sorry won't make it."

              Luhan stopped to think for a moment then shrugged off his coat. He stood up from his swing and carefully placed his coat on Yoona's small frame.

              "Here. So you won't be cold."

              Yoona couldn't help but smile. It was sweet of him to lend her his coat.

              "Tha--"

              The boy extended his hand with a smile.

              "Let's go. It's getting late."

              Just that one smile made Yoona feel warm the rest of the night.