XI.

Shattered

11 > > >

 

             Yoona entered the room silently. She found Luhan sleeping soundly on the sofa. A pillow lay on his chest, and Luhan was clutching it tightly. Yoona slowly made her way to his side and took a peek at his face. Once she looked, she couldn't look away. He looked so pained like he was having a really bad nightmare. A tear rolled down his cheeks.

​              "Yoona."

​              She backed away at the sound of her name. His soft, quivering voice sent shivers to Yoona. He said it with so much sadness and love. Was Luhan dreaming about her? She hoped not. It would only make her feelings more complicated.

​              She decided that at least had to do something like placing a cold towel on his head. She was checking his temperature with the back of her hand when he suddenly pulled her into a tight hug.

​              "Has anyone told you that you shouldn't touch a person when they're sleeping?"

​              Yoona was at a lost for words. One minute she was checking a sick boy's temperature, and the next second, she was lying on top of him with his arms around her. His ragged breath was tickling her neck, and his body temperature enveloped Yoona with warmth. She didn't know what to do in this situation. She felt her heart quickening its pace while Luhan's was just calm and steady. She mentally scolded herself for letting her heart beat this fast. Luhan could probably feel it, maybe even hear it.

​              "Luhan! Wha--"

​              He suddenly hugged her tighter and silenced her with a whisper to her ear.

​              "Shh, they'll hear you."

​              Yoona could not believe this was happening. She knew that sick people tend to be semiconscious and do stupid things, but she did not expect Luhan to suddenly hug her. His voice tickled her ear, and Yoona could definitely feel the beating of her heart getting faster and louder.

​              She tried to push Luhan away before he could hear her beating heart.

​              "Luhan, let go of me!"

​              He pulled her closer and looked her in the eye.

​              "I don't want to. You'll leave me again."

​              His voice was a bit louder now and firm, but sadness was present. His eyes did not waver and continued looking at Yoona with its sadness. She didn't want to hurt him, but this was really too much.

​              "Luhan, I promise I won't leave so please let go."

​              His eyes suddenly turned dull and cold.

​              "I don't believe in promises. They're meant to be broken, you know?"

​              He souned so melancholy and bitter as if someone had broken an important promise to him before. A sad smile was upon his dark face.

​              "Luhan--"

​              "Please, just let me stay like this."

​              His voice was a whisper, a cold, dark whisper. At this point, Yoona knew she couldn't do anything else to get out of this position. She lay her head awkwardly on his chest and let out a shaky sigh.

​              "O-ok."

​              She felt Luhan's body relax and lie back down on the couch. She also flet his hug around her loosen. His hands slowly traveled from her back to her hair. He undid her ponytail and quietly ran his fingers through the tangles on her hair. The combing soon turned into , and Yoona felt her eyelids slowly drooping.

​              The room was quiet, and all they could hear was their steady breathing and the sound of their heart beating silently. Somehow, Luhan's steady heart beat calmed her own heart down. His warm embrace was actually comfortable. The silence was comfortable too, but it was still awkward for Yoona. She was feeling sleepy, but she couldn't just fall asleep in his arms, could she?

​              A soft hum suddenly floated in the air. It was a slow, comforting tune, and Yoona found herself giving in to the temptation of sleep and closed her eyes.

 

< | >

​              Luhan was awake when she entered the room. He was awake when she looked at him worriedly. He was awake when she bent to check his temperature. He was awake when he pretended to be semiconscious and drew her into a tight embrace.

​              What she said a while ago only brought him horrible nightmares and unwanted memories, and he couldn't sleep well. He decided not to sleep at all than to be plagued by nightmares.

​              Having Yoona in his arms was nice. He liked how her small frame was so easy to hug. He liked how she was so warm. He liked how her hair was soft and silky. He liked how her heart beat calmly against his. It was like a lullaby slowly singing him to sleep, a lullaby promising him no more nightmares and sweet dreams.

​              Luhan moved his head to look at Yoona. She seemed to still be awkward in their position. He looked at her lovingly. *Sorry, I know I'm being selfish.*

​              He closed his eyes and started humming a soft tune. It was the song he swore to never sing again, and yet he found himself humming it to her now. *Life sure is funny.*

​              He watched as her eyelids slowly dropped like a curtain over her eyes and stopped humming. Yoona's lips were slightly open, but her eyes were tightly shut. He smiled at her sleeping face. *Sweet dreams.*

​              He continued listening to the steady beating of their hearts. He felt his lack of sleep wash over him again and slowly drifted to sleep with Yoona sleeping in his arms.

 

< | >

​              "Luhan, have you ever heard of the story of the little prince?"

​              The boy nodded his head. 

​              "Yeah, it's the stupid story about this weird boy from outer space who met this weird artist pilot, right?"

​              The girl chuckled and faced the doe-eyed boy.

​              "They're not weird, and neither is the story stupid. If you ask me, their story is actually inspiring, touching. When I die, I want to be like the little prince too."

​              The boy frowned and stretched his arms to the sky.

​              "I don't know. I don't think I want a snake to bite me to death."

​              The girl flicked the boy on his forehead with a frown. The boy stifled a laugh.

​              "I didn't mean it that way. I meant that I wanted to be remembered just like how the pilot will never forget the little prince. Don't you want to be remembered too?"

​              The boy closed his fists and let them drop to his sides.

​              "I don't know. I wouldn't want you dying on me so don't even think about it."

​              She took his hand and entwined her fingers with his.

​              "Sometimes, we just have no choice. We can't control fate. Anyway, I don't worry. I know you're strong enough to move on when I'm gone. You'll be okay, right?"

​              "You'll never leave me. You promised after all so let's not talk about this anymore."

​              "Luhan."

​              He faced the girl.

​              "Promise me that if I ever leave you earlier than planned that you'll always remember me and keep me in your heart."

​              A single tear rolled down her cheek, and the boy quickly reached to wipe it away.

​              "What's wrong?"

​              "Promise me."

​              "I promise."

 

< | >

Annyeong~ IT'S WEEKEND!! Meaning, more updates! Yay! hehe, I'm currently defying my virtigo and typing chapters in the car. This is going to take its toll on me later XD So about this chapter. I know that I've been very bad to Luyoon lately and kept the ending of chapters about them "heartbreaking". I'm so sorry!! >o< it seems I couldn't stop myself,  and I ended it this way again~
I really want to thank the people who commented!! I enjoyed reading your speculations and frustrations (whether it's my slow updating or about the Luyoon couple.)
Thank you again too to the new subscribers and the people who accepted me as their friend~ :3

See you on the next update!
Saranghaeyo~ <3 <3