XXII.

Shattered

[A/N: I'm alive in case you guys are wondering~ This isn't edited though :< ]

22 > > >
 

“Don’t go. . .” Yoona whispered weakly to Suho before he promptly left her alone in her room.

She stayed still on her bed and stared at his disappearing figure until a familiar taunting voice woke her from her blank reverie.

Ah, you really are pitiful, aren’t you? Things never change. Always left behind, always alone—the ending for you is always the same.

She let out a sharp gasp and closed her eyes, willing the voice to fade. Memories—mostly unwanted—were suddenly replaying in her mind. Voices were still screaming in her head; afraid was an understatement to what she was feeling then. She willed the voices to stop, but somehow it felt even worse.

See? You were never meant to be loved in this world. The letter says so, “You should just die.”

“Stop; please stop,” she whimpered as she buried her face in her pillow.

Even Luhan and Kris left you, and now Suho has also left you. That guy also left you, didn’t he?

Images were playing faster in her head until it finally stopped on a familiar smiling face. His mischievous smile never did leave her memories; his laugh was no different. She never could forget him. After all, forgetting only goes as far as burying it under multiple other memories, and you can never really forget.


All the kids gathered around as a boy entered the orphanage with a bright smile on his face. Whispers were exchanged, and the girls, in particular, were giggling and eyeing the charming boy in front of them.

“Oh my goodness, isn’t he such an eye candy?”

“Finally, a handsome guy!”

“I wonder if his voice is as nice as his face.”

“Oppa is like a prince!”

Yoona rolled her eyes as she ate her lunch silently in the corner of the room. She really didn’t care. The boy was probably just going to be another addition to everyone who bullied her anyway. Everyone was the same, dissing her for being too quiet and cold, for being too interested in books while everyone else played outside.

She continued eating, ignoring the fuss until everyone finally calmed down. She saw Im Ahjumma enter the room from the corner of her eyes and finally stopped eating to pay attention to the person who took care of her for the most—if not the whole—of her life since her mother died giving birth to her.

“Everyone, we have a new friend. Please treat him nicely,” she started then turned to the boy beside her and gave him a reassuring smile, “Go on; introduce yourself.”

The boy gave her a quick nod and faced the crowd in front of him.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” he ran his fingers through his black pushed back hair and smiled at everyone before giving a short bow, “Please take care of me.”

The boy chuckled and waved at the ladies with a wider smile as they waved and squealed at him. Yoona could only roll her eyes once more before deeming the news uninteresting and going back to her unfinished lunch. *Definitely the same as the others.*

She was chewing another spoonful of curry when there was a shadow over her. She looked up to find a familiar smiling face and an outstretched hand.

“You’re Yoona right?”

She regarded him coldly and continued eating her food. *He’s weird.*

“Hey! Let’s be friends.”

She stopped eating and looked at the boy with surprise apparent in her pale face, “What?”

“I said we should be friends! The book you’re reading seems interesting.”

She gave him a short, awkward nod while avoiding his gaze, and was taken by surprise when he suddenly grabbed her hands and shook it enthusiastically.

“We’re friends now right?”

She smiled at him and nodded.  *Maybe he’s different.*

He wasn’t.

 

“Yoona,” he called as he poked her cheeks, “Yooooona.”

The girl merely spared a glance for him and continued reading her book silently.

“Yah! You shouldn’t ignore your oppa,” he stated as he cupped her face and made her look at him, “It’s rude.”

The blush on the girl’s face was evident as she swatted his hands away and looked in a different direction; the boy chuckled at her reaction.

“Yoona, kyeopta.”

“S-shut up!”

She watched as the boy pretended to sulk and pout at her while drawing circles on the table with his finger.

“Yoona is such a meanie. Do you hate me that much?”

The girl visibly softened and closed her book to fully face the boy in front of her, “Oppa!”

The boy gazed at her eyes and pretended to wipe a tear from his eyes, ‘”Yes?”

“Idon’thateyou,” she quickly whispered then looked away, bringing her attention back to her book once again. She could see the boy smiling cheekily at her from the corner of her eyes, and she felt her cheeks flush again. Oh, the things that boy was doing to her.

She stopped reading when the boy suddenly leaned closer her until she could feel his breath on her cheeks. She flinched in surprise.

“Wha—“

“Yoona-ah, if you don’t hate me, then what do you feel about me?”

His breath tickled her neck, and she moved slightly away from him but not without her cheeks blushing furiously.

“Do you like me?” he whispered to her ear, mischievousness evident in his tone.

She pushed him away and hid her blushing face with her hair.

“I-I don’t!”

She heard him chuckling and took a quick peek at him, jumping in surprise when his hand came closer to tuck her hair behind her ear.

“You’re blushing though,” he simply pointed out.

Yoona quickly covered her face with her hands and huffed, “S-so what if I l-like y-you?”

Warm hands covered hers, and she found the boy’s hand taking her hand away from her face with a soft smile.

“I like you too.”

Liar.

“Y-you do?!” Yoona’s eyes widened and heat quickly rose back to her cheeks.

The boy nodded, chuckling, “I do.”

Stupid Liar.

“Yoona!” a loud voice called from outside the room.

The boy quickly let go of her hands, and Yoona frowned at the loss of warmth.

“Well, I have to go before Im Ahjumma sees me. I’m not supposed to be here,” he stood up and smiled charmingly at her, “I’ll see you later!”

He waved goodbye while giving her a wink and stepping out of the room.

Yoona could feel herself smiling stupidly and staring dreamily at the air in front of her. *He likes me too!* she mentally squealed. She looked around the room and found his forgotten homework. *Oh no! He forgot his assignment.”

She hastily stood up and grabbed his materials before running out the room to chase after him.

“D—“

A loud chorus of laughter reached Yoona’s ear as a familiar voice slowly broke her heart into a million pieces.

“I can’t believe how gullible she is! She actually thought I liked her too. I had to step out of the room because her ogling eyes was getting too disgusting. Yoona is stupid after all. Tsk! She was such an easy catch.”

She pursed her lips as a streak of tear rolled down her cold cheeks. She suppressed a sob a quickly dashed away from the scene, dropping the materials she was supposed to give back.

He was just like them after all. She was wrong to think that he could actually be different. Everyone was the same. There was no one who would actually love her.


< | >

Yoona heard the door outside shutting, and she quickly rose from the bed, shaking her evil thoughts away. She shouldn’t think about him anymore. The past was past, and yet she couldn’t stop the single tear that escaped her eye.

There is no one who actually loves you.

She quickly wiped it away while shaking her head and breathed out a shaky breath before standing up. *Things are different now. I’m neither gullible nor stupid, and I have people who care about me.*

She nodded to herself and flinched when she heard footsteps approaching.

“Suho? Is that you?” she called.

She heard a yelp from outside and tiptoed her way to her door, “Suho?”

“Y-yes,” a voice replied from outside.

*That isn’t Suho.* she noted in her head as she slowly turned the door knob and stepped out. Her voice caught in , and her eyes widened seeing the unexpected visitor she had.

“Luhan?!”

< | >

Im Yoona, she's special, Kris. At least do me a favor and protect her for me.

Kris closed his eyes and buried his face in his hands as he heard his door close, signaling that Luhan had left his flat. *I know; you don’t have to tell me.*

He leaned back on his couch and gave a frustrated sigh.

Things were a lot complicated now. He was sure Luhan felt it too, or he wouldn’t be coming to visit Kris. *Just as Suho had predicted.*

To be honest, he remembered everything Luhan was telling him about; they were still fresh in his mind like it was yesterday, like Soojung’s death never happened. But her death did happen, and things were different now. Things were far too complicated for him to be going back to those old days. Besides, he had a mission, and he had to accomplish it.

He stared at the ceiling while thinking about what Suho had told him. *If what Suho said were true, then Luhan should be downstairs with Yoona now.*

He rubbed his tired eyes and glanced at the photo that rested beside his flat screen TV. He missed her; he missed his adoptive sister.

This was the problem of being who he was, who they were. Their lifespan was a lot longer compared to most humans, and that meant living through centuries and decades. It meant watching the world grow up while they stayed young and unchanged. It meant watching people grow old and die while they stayed the same and alive. It meant a sad life where you couldn’t have any sort of attachment because they were sure to leave you behind.

He stood up to get the photo and gazed at it longingly. The bond they had despite not being blood-related was strong. She accepted Kris for who he was and treated him as her real brother even until her death.

Her life was something people would deem pitiful or sad, but Kris found her existence special. Even after being rejected and almost killing herself, she lived. Even after her parents died and her husband left her, she laughed. Even in her last moments, she smiled while gazing longingly, lovingly at her new born baby.

“Oppa, t-take care of her,” she said softly as her voice trembled.

“Stop talking, Mei. You’re not going to die,” he helplessly whispered as tears streamed down his face.

She took another deep breath before smiling at him, “Y-you were a w-wonderful brother. You’re everything I l-looked for in a family—kind, caring, fierce, responsible, funny; a-and I’m glad I got to see you before I join our parents above. Wo ai ni, ge. T-tell my baby that I love her too.”

Kris found her life beautiful, and he was sure she played a role in the game fate was playing.

 

< | >

“Luhan?!”

Luhan cursed softly in his head and avoided Yoona’s inquiring eyes guiltily. He seriously didn’t know what he was supposed to say, much less do. “Oh, I just happened to pass by your apartment and saw what happened so I decided to enter and take care of you,” as if he could say something so thoughtless and stupid.

He his lower lip nervously and let the other possible excuses run through his head. *Ugh! This is just stupid . . .* He breathed out a frustrated sigh and faced Yoona with an awkward smile.

“Hi?”

He saw a series of emotion pass through Yoona’s face before she faced him blankly then looked down on the floor.

“Hi,” she softly breathed out in response without meeting Luhan’s worried eyes.

An awkward silence enveloped the two people standing gauchely in front of each other. Things were obviously still awkward between each other after Luhan left abruptly last time, leaving her to the hands of Baekhyun and Chanyeol—one of whom she was avoiding, the other someone she didn’t even know.

Luhan couldn’t bear the silence and cleared his throat.

“Um, are you okay?” he started with a step forward, “Suho told me what happened.” Not really.

Yoona nodded tentatively, but Luhan couldn’t help but notice Yoona taking a step back away from him. He sighed but took another step forward nonetheless.

“Are you sure?”

He felt Yoona tense a bit under his gaze as he took another step closer to her, “You don’t look okay.”

“I-I’m fine,” she squeaked nervously as she took another step back and diverted her eyes.

Luhan looked at her seriously and bit the inside of his cheeks. *Is she mad because I left her last time?*

He frowned and took quick strides to close the distance between the two of them until they were face to face, “Are you avoiding me?”

Yoona let out a gasp when she found Luhan standing so close and hurriedly stepped back, tripping over her foot instead. She squeezed her eyes shut, preparing for the impact, but found steady arms supporting her instead.

She slowly opened her eyes and flinched at their proximity. Luhan’s face was so close to her own, and she could literally feel his warm breath on her face. His eyes stared at her worriedly, and Yoona felt herself drown under the gaze of his clear brown eyes. She could feel her heart hammering against her chest, although she wasn’t sure if it was because she slipped or because Luhan caught her, and they were really close to each other, and was it just her or was Luhan actually leaning closer?

They seemed to be lost in each other’s eyes until Luhan decided to look away and pull her up. Yoona didn’t know how to place the disappointment she felt then.

“You should be careful,” his voice was a shaky whisper as he gently removed his arms from her waist and let go of her hand with a drawn back smile, “I just came here to check on you since Suho had to go, but if you’re uncomfortable of my presence then I’ll leave and call for Kris or Baekhyun instead.”

He took a deep breath and stepped away, “You should rest inside again. I’m sorry for disturbing.”

Luhan was about to turn away when he felt a pair of hands grasping his wrist.

“Wait,” her soft voice said as her gaze slowly met his, “please, d-don’t go.”

Luhan felt himself smile genuinely at her words and nodded, “I won’t go then.”

“T-thank you,” was her soft answer as her hands pulled away and stayed awkwardly at her sides once again.

Luhan chuckled and patted her head, and Yoona admitted to herself that she liked the feeling of Luhan patting her head. They spent the next minute basking in each other’s silence.

“Should I carry you to your room?” Luhan quipped out of nowhere, titlting his head cutely at the girl in front of him.

Yoona’s eyes widened at his words, and Luhan found himself chuckling once again.

“W-what?! I-I’m perfectly capable of walking on my own!” she exclaimed, a blush donning her cheeks, “T-there’s no need for you to carry me.”

“Okay then,” Luhan sang childishly as grabbed Yoona’s hand and dragged her away from her room.

“W-where—“

Luhan placed his finger to her lips and shushed her.

“You shouldn’t be locking yourself up in your room at times like this. You should go out and have fun to forget what happened,” he explained with a bright smile, his eyes disappearing into crescents.

Stay away from Luhan. This is warning number two from me. Enjoy your day, Miss Im Yoona, and I hope you enjoy what I have in store for you.

The familiar voice replayed in her head, and Yoona found herself stepping back, “I- I’m—“

Luhan’s hand clutched hers tighter, and he smiled at her reassuringly.

“Whatever happened, happens, or will happen, I’ll protect you so don’t worry.”

< | >

And the rabbit is back in the house yo~ or as Luhan says "yo yo yo, man!" Okay, sooooo the rabbit is also guilty of taking too long to update, but thank you for waiting, the update is here!!! I would have posted this tomorrow (since it's a certain Bacon's birthday) but because I love you guys too much and I have taken too long to update, I posted it today~~ Though Advance Happy Birthday to my number 2 in exo, but number 1 bacon in the whole world, Byun Baekhyun~ <3

         

so as an apology and as a gift, let me give you some bacon gif~

         

          ft. HunHan <3

He's so stupid, I love him so much <3

Anyway, you guys can look forward to a cheesy luyoon date on the next chapter~~ *wiggles brows*

I'm also here to announce that I'll be doing a prequel to this fic featuring SUHO and JESSICA~ (Jessica is my bias in snsd :>) I'll post the link in my next a/n once I've finished up the foreword so look forward to "Timeless" >O<

I'm being too talkative so I'm just gonna say thank you again to those who subscribed, commented, and upvoted~ ilysm <3 I wanna say annyeong to the new readers too and I hope everyone is enjoying my fic!! 

comments are loved and see you on my next update~ <3
Saranghaeyooo~ <3 <3 (Nan neukdego, neon minyeo) /wink