V.

Shattered

5 > > >

 

           He ran as fast as he could through the snowy streets, pass the walking civilians and the driving cars. He took a quick right on a dark alley way and wiped his sweat as he pushed through the hanging clothes.

           The moon was high above the sky, and snow was falling all over the town. The darkness of the alley and the falling snow made it hard for him to navigate and to see, but it didn't matter to him. All he knew was that he was late, and that stupid girl could still be waiting for him, sitting on a swing for all he cares, waiting out there in this cold weather.

           He muttered a curse as his foot hit a trash bin and as the trash bin crashed, sending metallic sounds echoing through the alley. He quickly stepped away and continued running to his destination, ignoring the mess he just made.

           "Please tell me you're already home. Please tell me you're not waiting in the cold. Please tell me you're not stupid enough to do that."

           He fastened his pace when he saw the familiar coffee shop and the antique records store. 

           "Almost there." 

            His breath was ragged and his body was freezing. Cold beads of sweat were running down his face, and people would look at him weirdly, wondering where a boy like him would be hurrying off to at this time of night.

           When he got to the park, he felt his heart drop.  "She's not here."

           *What are you talking about, Luhan? Isn't it good that she isn't here? At least she didn't wait here in this cold weather. Who said she would wait for you in the first place? Stop worrying!*

           He slowly made his way to a bench and dropped himself on its cold wooden seat. He closed his eyes and buried his face on his hands. This night was not how he planned it to be. They were supposed to meet here, and then he would bring her to the coffee shop, and there, he would sing her a song then confess. He had everything planned, but he just had to go ruin everything and be late, super late.

           He supported himself with his hands and looked up at the sky while catching his breath. The sky was clear and you could see all the twinkling stars clearly.

           He let out a shaky breath. "Such a waste of a beautiful night."

           "Why is it a waste?"

           He quickly turned his head.

           "Hello, Mister Late." 

           She greeted him with the most dazzling smile he'd ever seen. Despite her hair being messy from the wind, and that bits of snow clung onto them, despite her face being red from the cold, and that her lips were all chapped, she was beautiful, so beautiful.

           He just stared at her. He stared at her face, at her plain get up; he stared at the beautiful girl in front of him. She looked so good dressed in her simple red shift dress and white scarf despite not having any jewelry or make-up on.

           "I'm sor--"

           "Coffee?"  The girl lifted the cups she was holding with a warm smile.

           He nodded his head stiffly and reached for the warm cup. He took a quick, comforting sip from the hot drink and let out a soft sigh.

           "I'm sorry."

           "Don't mind it. I didn't wait that long."

           The girl's smile made his heart ache so much.

           "Stupid, why did you even wait for me?" he softly muttered.

           "I promised you. I don't break promises."

 

           "Liar."

           Luhan rubbed arms repeatedly to keep himself warm. He was muttering soft curses under his breath as he waited by the gates in this "cold" weather.

           "Ugh! When will she come out?" 

           He looked around uneasily at the passing students and civilians. There were no signs of a girl with flowing brown hair and sparkling brown eyes. She still wasn't here.

           He let out an impatient sigh. He didn't know why he was waiting for her. Maybe he just wanted to talk to her. Maybe he just wanted to hear her voice for himself. Maybe he just wanted to see her face to face. 

           He let out a foggy breath. *She'll probably think I'm weird.*

           He closed his eyes and continued rubbing his arms.

           "Why does it have to be so freakin' cold."

           He turned to look around again, and that's when he spotted her. She was casually strolling down the path in her cardigan and floral dress, with her long brown hair swaying in the wind.

           "How can she wear so little in this cold weather?"  He shook his head as he let out another sigh and decided to approach her. *Here goes nothing.* He instinctively reached for her hand.

           "Wait."

           She turned to face him with wide eyes.

           "Ah." Luhan bit his lip. What was he supposed to say?

           "A-annyeosaeyeo," The girl bowed her head politely as she always did.

           Luhan awkwardly cleared his throat and greeted her with an awkward smile, "Annyeong."

           She loosened her grip on her sling bag and gave him a smile in return, "Can I help you with anything?"

           "Uhh, yeah, umm. . . ."

           He his lips. *Stupid Luhan. Make up something!*

           "C-can we talk about this with a cup of coffee?" he flashed her a nervous smile.

           She played with her fingers behind her back and fidgeted in her place, "Umm, I don't know, and I'm not really acquainted with you either."

           He loosened his grip on her arm and let his hand slide to her small palm. "I'm Luhan, and you're Yoona. Now we know each other. Can we get that cup of coffee now? It's really cold out here."

           She bit her lip. "Uuh. . . . ."

           He smiled. "I'll take that as a yes."

 

< | >

           Yoona was just walking down the road when she was suddenly pulled away from the crowd and asked to get a cup of coffee by a complete stranger. Well, maybe he wasn't a complete stranger, and she still had to thank him, didn't she?

           "Umm, I don't know, and I'm not really acquainted with you either."

           She was about to walk away when he suddenly slid his hand down her arm and shook her hand.

           "I'm Luhan, and you're Yoona. Now we know each other. Can we get that cup of coffee now? It's really cold out here."

           She was entirely confused. What could he possibly want with her? Was he mad or something because she didn't thank him a while ago?

           "Uuh. . . . ."

           Then he had to flash her that smile. The moment he'd smiled at her, she knew she wouldn't be able to say no. She would have to go get that cup of coffee.

           "I'll take that as a yes."

           "Okay. .  . ."

           She let him pull her through the crowd of people to the bus stop.

           *A cup of coffee shouldn't hurt, right?*

 

< | >

 

              Yoona bit her lower lip and tapped her fingers awkwardly on her lap. After "consenting" to go get coffee with Luhan, he had dragged her up the back of the bus and sat there, crossed legged and looking ever so comfortable. He was still holding on to Yoona's hand with no plans of letting go, and he probably no idea too of how uncomfortable Yoona was feeling that time.

              She checked her watch. It was ten minutes past four, and the sun was just beginning to set. The sky had a beautiful crimson glow that matched the falling autumn leaves outside.

              She let out a exasperated sigh. *I could be out there right now, enjoying the cool autumn air and colorful scenery, but no, I just had to be dragged away to get coffee with some guy I barely even know. Kris and the others are probably hurriedly going home to the apartment by now.*

              She turned to face Luhan and stared at him. *What did he want with me? Why would he wait outside the school gates just to talk to me about something I don't actually even know what?  Why was he so--*

              "It's rude to stare at people."

              Yoona looked away with a blush. "I-I wasn't staring."

              "Sure, and I'm a girl."

              Yoona bit her lip. "W-where are we going?" 

              "You'll see."

              Yoona frowned. She didn't like vague answers. They were so, well, vague. She had so many other questions that she wanted to ask.

              "How long did you wait?"

              "Hmm, just about one hour outside in the cold weather."

              She faced him again. "One hour?! Are you that desperate to talk to me?" 

              *Is that why he looked so cold a while ago? stupid boy.*

              He shrugged.  "I was kidding."   

              Yoona let out a sigh of relief and took a good look at his face. The sun was shining down on him, and it made his hair have this pinkish glow. His face looked so much younger, and she could see the details of his face clearer. She could see his long lashes and his angled nose. His eyebrows were meeting. *Is he thinking about something? I wonder what he's thinking about.*

              "Why do you want to talk to me?"

              "Just because."

              Yoona gave up. There was no use to try starting a conversation with Luhan. His answers were so annoying and vague. *Don't you know how to answer a person properly?*

              She decided to continue watching his features instead and noticed his lip scar again. *I didn't see wrong after all.*

              "Where did you get that sca--"

              Luhan turned to face her with a scowl. "Why do you ask so many questions?"

              "I'm sor--"

              "Stand up."

              Yoona blinked innocently at him. "I'm sorry, what?"

              "We're getting off here."

 

< | >

              The interior of the cafe was nice and simple. The tables and chairs were wooden, and the shop had this really homey feel about it. There were books shelves at the back of the shop and several books and picture frames that contained photos of old customers, friends, and even artists lined the shelves. There were other antique picture frames that could be found on the tables too.

              Yoona smiled as she touched one of the frames. *They probably bought these frames from the antique shop across the street.*

              "Don't touch that."

              Luhan pulled her hand away from the picture and dragged her to a table somewhere beside the windows. He pulled a chair out and pointed to it.

              "Sit."

              Yoona tucked her hair behind her ears and pursed her lips. "Um, I can't sit if you're still holding onto my hand."

              The boy reddened from embarrassment and hesitantly let go of her hand.  

              "Ah, sorry."

              Yoona smiled at him politely and sat down quietly across Luhan, not knowing he was watching her every move.

              "What do you want to drink?"

              "Uh, coffee?"

              Luhan looked at her as if she dumb and sighed. "Duh, this is a coffee shop. What else would we order? I meant what kind of coffee, dummy."

              Yoona  her lips.  *I guess I could get that cup of latte macchiato now.*

              Before she could even call Luhan to tell him her desicion, Luhan had already called the waitress and had told her the order without Yoona's consent.

              "We'll have two cups of latte macchiato and a slice of strawberry cheesecake."

              The waitress jotted down the order and quickly bowed before making her way to the counter. Yoona watched as the waitress prepared two cute cups for their coffee and a clean plate for their cake.

              "How did you know I was going to order latte macchiato?"

              Luhan shrugged. "I didn't. You were just taking too long so I decided what to order by myself."

              Yoona frowned. *Aah, this rude kid.*

              She didn't know how old he was, but she assumed that he was younger than her seeing how innocent he looked and acted.

              "So. . . What did you need me for?"

              He turned to face her with a innocent grin. "Actually, I didn't need you for anything. I just wanted to talk to you that's pretty much it."

              Yoona bit her lip. "We're talking so uhh, what did you want to talk about."

              "I don't know."

              Yoona could imagine her cup of patience emptying with every word Luhan said. *Keep calm, Yoona. He's younger than you. Kids are naturally childish.*

              "Are you saying you brought me here in this coffee shop in some town I don't know just so you could talk to me about nothing? And not mention, waste my time?" Yoona asked, trying her best not to snap at the man in front of her.

              Luhan tapped his fingers playfully on the table. "Technically, I said nothing about wasting your time."

              Yoona crossed her arms. "Well you are wasting my time. Look, you seem like a nice guy, but I can't waste my time any more than you have so don't mind if I take my leave now. Good bye."

              She quickly stood up and slung her bag on her shoulder and maid her way out the shop, leaving Luhan feeling quite amused.

              *Interesting girl.*

 

 

< | >

Annyeong~ Late night update again~ I'm sorry for always updating this late!! 11:43 PM *sigh*  I need to start updating earlier. Thank you for the new subscribers and comments!! >O<
Comments are loved~ :3 I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!! Don't be afraid to comment your thoughts~

See you in the next chapter~
Saranghaeyo~ <3 <3