VIII.

Shattered

8 > > >

 

​               Yoona took another sip of Kris's bitter coffee and watched the bus as it slowed down and prepared to stop and gather passengers. She tried not to breathe in the smoke from the passing vehicles and looked up the sky. The clouds that were white and fluffy a while ago were now taking a shade of gray. The sun seemed loose its bright shine and cower behind the looming clouds, and the weather was getting chilly.

​               She let out a foggy breath and faced Kris. He was furrowing his brows as he stared at his phone.

​               "What's wrong, Kris?"

​               Kris ran his fingers through his hair and let out a sigh. "I'm sorry. I have to go somewhere. Go to the university first, okay? I'll see you there."

​               Yoona pouted and took another sip from her coffee. Kris looked at her apologetically and pat her head.

​               "I'm sorry, okay? I'll make it up to you next time."

​               She stood up and smiled at him. "It's okay. I'll be fine."

​               Kris smiled at her and muttered another apology as he stood up and dashed back to the direction they came from while Yoona prepared herself as the bus came to a stop. She smiled to herself and shook her head slightly. *I feel like such a kid.*

​               She hopped on the bus with a smile and walked to the back of the bus, while swinging a paper bag back and forth. She remembered how Luhan had dragged her to the back of the bus yesterday and frowned. *Why am I thinking about that?*

​               She was about to continue to walk to the back of the bus when she suddenly saw him. Luhan was sitting on the third row from the back. His eyes were closed and his head was leaning on the window. Beads of sweat pasted his hair to his face. He looked pale.

​               Yoona contemplated whether to approach him or not and sat tentatively behind him. He looked troubled. His hands were balled into tight fists. *Is he okay?*

​               When she couldn't take watching him look so much in pain anymore, Yoona decided to scoot over to the seat beside Luhan. She called his name softly to check if he was awake.

​               "Luhan? Are you okay?"

​               There was no response.

​               "Luhan?"

​               Yoona pursed her lips. He didn't look so good. *Is he sick?* 

​               She carefully placed the back of her hand to his forehead. He was having a really bad fever. Yoona immediately took her hand away and looked at him worriedly.

​               "Omo! Luhan-ah, you're burning!"

​               There was still no response.

​               Yoona started to panic. She was no nurse, and she was especially bad at handling situations like this. Sure, she could cook and do other household things, but she only does it for herself.

​               She shook the thought away. *No, Yoona, why are you even thinking about cooking for him and other unnecessary things? Get your act straight!*

​               She hesitantly tapped Luhan's shoulder and leaned closer.

​               "Luhan."

 

< | >

​               "Luhan."

​               The boy looked up from his book and faced the girl with a smile.

​               "What's wrong?"

​               She tapped the space in front of her and gestured for the boy to sit.

​               "Come here."

​               The boy stood up from his chair without another thought and left the book on the chair. He sat on the space beside her and patted her head.

​               She smiled sweetly at him. "Thank you."

​               The boy continued her hair. 

​               "Are you feeling better?"

​               The girl wrapped her hand around his wrist and closed her eyes.

​               "Yes, thanks to you."

​               She placed his hands on her cheek, her cold pale cheek. The boy frowned.

​               "Is the room too cold? Should I adjust the temperature?"

​               The girl shook her head and stopped the boy from standing up.

​               Her voice was barely a whisper. "No, don't go."

​               The boy sat back down and brushed her hair away from her face. He looked at her worriedly. Her face was pale, and her lips looked dry and chapped. Cold sweat was pasting her hair to her face, and her eyes looked so tired.

​               He let out a sigh of defeat and continued her hair. "Okay."

​               The girl chuckled and cupped the boy's cheeks with one hand. "I'm fine, Luhan. Don't worry so much."

​               Her hands were cold, and it made Luhan shiver. He frowned. 

​               "How can I no--"

​               "I said don't worry."

​               He sighed and placed his warm hand on top of her cold hand. He held it tightly, careful not to squeeze too tight and maybe break her. He stared right into her eyes.

​               "How can I not worry when the girl I love is suffering in front of me?"

​               The girl smiled sadly at him. 

​               "I'm strong, Luhan. I won't die just because of a sickness."

​               "I know. I know. It's exactly because you're too strong that's why you're suffering!"

​               The girl bit her lip. "Luhan."

 

< | >

​               "Luhan!"

​               He suddenly felt a pair of warm hands cup his cheeks.

​               "Are you okay? Please wake up."

​               Her worried voice echoed in his mind. He wanted to open his eyes and stop her from sounding so worried. He wanted to hold her hand and tell her that he was okay, but fatigue was getting the better of him.

​               "Luhan?"

​               He slowly opened his drooping eyes and caught a blurry view of her face. Her face was filled with worry, and her eyebrows were meeting.

​               "Y-Yoona?"

​               She let out a sigh of relief and straightened herself.

​               "You finally woke up! You were getting us worried-- wait, did you just call me Yoona?"

​               Luhan frowned. It wasn't Yoona.

​               "Is your fever getting to you? My name is Krystal, Jung Krystal, not Yoona. Geez, who's this Yoona anyway?"

​               Luhan rubbed his temples and fixed his position. He stopped and looked at his surroundings carefully.

​               "Where am I?"

​               Krystal raised her brows in question. "You're obviously in your apartment. You don't remember?"

​               "What am I even supposed to remember? All I know is that I was sleeping in a bus, and now I'm here."

​               "Sehun-op--, I mean, Sehun and I saw this girl in the bus, panicking so we decided to see what was wrong. It turns out the problem was you. We told the girl to leave it to us, and she bowed gratefully and just told us to give that to you."

​               Krystal gestured for the package beside Luhan.

​               "Where's Sehun?" Luhan said as he took the paper bag.

​               Kystal shrugged. "He left a while ago and told me to wait at least until you wake up."

​               Luhan checked the contents of the bag. Inside was his coat. It was washed, and a sticky note was attached to it.

​          Luhan,
Thank you for lending me your coat!
I washed it, no need to worry.
umm, I'm sorry for getting mad at you last night.
and thank you again.


​               He smiled upon seeing her neatly scrawled note. *I would have preferred it if you were the one here though. After all, it's your fault I'm sick.*

​               Krystal took her cardigan from a chair and approached Luhan.

​               "Look, I have to go now. I already wasted enough of my time. Take care of yourself okay?"

​               He just nodded and waved her goodbye. 

​               *I wish you were here."

 

< | >

Annyeong~ Okay. so this chapter was not how I planned it to be, and I'm kind of disappointed XD I wasn't able to place the Luyoon moment I was thinking of. Anyway, please look forward to the next chapter~ I'll start on it tonight and maybe post it if I finish.
Thank you for the new subscribers and comments~ :3
See you on the next update~