XX.

Shattered

20 > > >
 

              Luhan walked hurriedly in the quiet morning streets, the autumn leaves crunching under his booted feet. His hands were stuffed in his coat pocket as he made his way to the cafe near Yoona's apartment.

              The wind messed up his hair as he quickly jogged across the pedestrian walk to the simple cafe in front of him. He ordered two americanos and two orders of plain bagel before taking off to the apartment complex.

              His heart beat anxiously as he rode the elevator up to the right floor.

              How he was going to do this? Luhan honestly wasn't sure, but he figured trusting his instincts was his safest bet.

              Or maybe not.

              He paced nervously outside the black wooden door and balanced the food in his hands. In his hands were two cups of coffee and a bag of bagel. You could call it a peace offering, a bribe, or whatever, but Luhan just really needed to have this talk.

              He placed the breakfast tentatively on the ground before reaching out to knock on the door. He knocked once, twice and waited for an answer. He knocked one more time when there was no answer.

              Luhan sighed. Was it normal to take this long?

              He was about to turn and leave when crashes and mutters of curses were heard from behind the door. A loud voice boomed from behind the door before it swung open.

              “I'm sorry. Who is it?”

              Luhan smiled and raised the two cups of coffee and bag of bagel.

              “Hey,” he greeted. “I brought breakfast.”

              Kris held the door firmly and looked at Luhan suspiciously.

              “What– no, never mind, please leave, Luhan.”

              Luhan's face fell.

              “But–“

              Kris frowned and quickly closed the door on Luhan's face, leaving him stunned. It took a few seconds before realization hit Luhan, and his initial shock turned into frustration.

              “Yah! Wu Yi Fan! A person happily brings you breakfast, and you disrespectfully shut the door at their face. Is that right? Open this door and quickly let me in! I'm still your hyung, you know!”

              When there wasn't any response, Luhan knocked again.

              “Yah! Kris Wu, Kevin! Don't be a scornful brat and let your hyung in!”

              The door was successfully opened, revealing a more than grumpy Kris. He was boring holes at Luhan as his hyung once again showed the breakfast he brought for Kris and smiled cheekily at him.

              “I have no time for yo–“

              “Come on, Kris. Just let me in,” Luhan pouted and patted Kris on the shoulder. “You like americano, right? Come, let's drink coffee together like we used to, hyung and dongsaeng.”

              Luhan pushed past Kris and entered the other's flat leisurely.

              “Wah! Your style hasn't changed one bit, Kris. Don't you get tired of it?”

              Kris grumbled something in between not being able to get peace in the mornings nowadays and annoying hyungs that should just die, or maybe it was something about bagels smelling too good for him to resist. Luhan wasn't sure which one he heard. He just hoped it wasn't the second, and hopefully it was the third.

              The two made their way to Kris's living room where Luhan jumped comfortably on Kris's black leather couch, acting unusually bubbly while Kris ran to the kitchen to get some plates.

              Kris returned soon after with two plates of bagel and set them down on the coffee table. He let out a sigh as Luhan started yapping again.

              “Oh how I missed those times, Kris! Remember the time Tao accidentally spilled coffee on your newly bought couch, and you were so mad, but then you couldn't handle Tao's aegyo so you ended up forgiving him and even buying him a whole tube of ice cream?” Luhan looked at Kris excitedly then pointed to a picture of a girl beside Kris's flat screen TV.

              “Oh! Isn't that Mei? How is she? Did she go study at Brent as planned? Did–“

              “What do you really want, Luhan?”

              Kris regarded Luhan boredly as he bit through his bagel and took a sip of coffee, purposely ignoring Luhan's previously statements.

              “What? Can't a friend just ask about his friend's sister?”

              Kris stayed mum for a moment then faced Luhan coldly.

              “You're no longer a friend, Luhan.” Kris simply stated, “Now tell me what you really need. I don't have all the time in the world to waste on you.”

              There was a flash of hurt on Luhan's face before it was quickly replaced with a shy smile.

              “I—I wanted to apologize.”

              “Isn't it a bit too late for that?” Kris set his cup of coffee down and crossed his arms in front of his chest, “I gave you the chance long ago. You didn't take it and instead abandoned us–”

              Luhan stood up to protest but was stopped by Kris's extended hand.

              “–but, I would really prefer it if you said what's really on your mind.”

              Luhan sat back down and let his gaze trace the edges of the glass table. His mouth felt dry, and all the previous liveliness he had simply vanished.

              “I had a dream, Kris,”

              Luhan's voice was soft and wavering, fear slipping out of his words, but Kris had simply blown him away with his cruel words.

              “And I should care because?”

              That was when Luhan snapped.

              “Because even if you don't see me as a friend now, I still see you as one, and you should at least be considerate this one last time and play the role!”

              Kris kept silent, adding more fuel to the irritation and hurt that was building up inside Luhan.

              Luhan silently stood up and walked towards Kris.

              “I thought you hadn't changed, but I was wrong, Kris. You have changed. You've changed a lot.”

              He let out a sigh and slowly walked away from Kris's hunched figure.

              “Im Yoona, she's special, Kris. At least do me a favor and protect her for me.”

              Luhan walked out the door and closed it behind him. He leaned his head against the hard door and closed his eyes, his stress and fatigue over running him.

              To be honest, this was not how Luhan planned his visit to be. He had expected Kris to at least show some concern, but right now, Luhan couldn't feel it, and it'd hurt. It hurt a lot.

              Everything just wasn't going in the right direction. Everything was slipping out of his grasps. Everything was falling apart for Luhan. The wall he had put up, his friends, his whole world, they were just falling apart.

              Luhan felt alone, rejected, hated, stupid, useless, and his dream didn't do any good.


 

              Her tear streaked face looked at Luhan bitterly and squeezed painfully at his heart.

              “You promised me, Luhan. You promised me!”

              Her each word hit Luhan painfully, sharply. Her ice cold fingers were gripping his arms tightly, scratching him harshly.

              “You're a liar!”

              She shook him with force and let him drop guiltily on the ground. Her eyes were cold and empty as she gazed upon him. Her head slowly tilted as her icy hand reached out to cup Luhan's face.

              “How could you have done this to me? I thought you loved me, Luhan?”

              Her nails dug painfully into Luhan's cheeks, and Luhan suppressed a yelp. Instead, he gazed back into her lifeless eyes and pursed his lips.

              “I don't know what you're talking about.”

              “Don't play stupid!”

              Sparks of blue flowed from her hair as she screamed at Luhan's face.

              “You know full well what you have done, and you shall take the repercussions of your foolish actions.”

              Her thin lips formed a simper as she let go of Luhan and slowly vanished.

              “You little girlfriend called Yoona. You better protect her, Mr. Lu. Protect her well like how you should have protected me.”


 

< | >

              “I wonder who it is.”

              Yoona rose up from her seat and switched the television off. She made her way warily to the door and took a deep breath before opening the door slowly.

              A soft smile greeted her.

              “Hey.”

              Yoona looked at Suho in pleasant surprise and returned his smile with her usual polite smile.

              “Annyeong, Suho.”

              Suho clicked his tongue and crossed his arms with a not so cute pout.

              “What happened to 'oppa'?”

              Yoona shook her head in amusement.

              “I'm older than you.”

              She watched him bemusedly as his attitude wavered, and he finally uncrossed his arms with a bitter frown.

              “Kris told you, didn't he?” Suho speculated, “that evil guy. He just really can't let me have my fun.”

              Yoona chuckled at his weird childishness and gestured for him to come in while he muttered something about Kris being too tall.

              Yoona paused by the entrance to the kitchen and turned to look at Suho.

              “What brought you here, Suho?”

              He strolled in casually and looked around her apartment, his eyes sparkling in curiosity and amusement. He stopped beside a picture frame before answering.

              “Well, something cropped up with Kris, and I figured that I'd do his job instead.”

              Yoona sighed from the side.

              “I don't really need an though. Kris is just over-reacting to what happened yesterday.”

              Suho chuckled and set the picture frame down. He turned to face Yoona with a teasing smile.

              “But you were waiting for him, weren't you? Come on, let's go to the university together.”

              Yoona stayed silent and thought about it for a while.

              She wasn't really waiting for Kris. . . . Okay, maybe she was, but she was going to leave by herself if Suho hadn't come any sooner. She wasn't stupid enough to be late just because she was waiting for her “escorts” that never came.

              She didn't need any escorts.

              Though what happened yesterday was admittedly traumatizing, Yoona was strong. She wasn't the type to be affected by little things like that.

              Little?! You almost died, Yoona!

              Yoona frowned visibly at the voice in her head. *Shut up.*

              You're scared, Yoona. Just let him walk you to the university.

              Yoona bit her lip and raised her eyes to see Suho was looking at her expectantly. *It shouldn't be that bad walking with him. Suho is a good guy*

              “Ok, fine.”

              *But this isn't because I'm scared.* She told herself.

              “Why don't you sit down first, Suho? I'm just gonna go prepare my things.”

              Suho smiled at her good-naturedly and proceeded to sit down on her couch comfortably while Yoona entered her room to prepare.

              He sat patiently on the couch, looking around Yoona's flat like a kid and tapping his fingers on his leg. He was still looking around when a certain photo caught his eye. He was about to stand up to take a look at it when a loud ring tone suddenly played.

              Suho jumped in surprise and looked at Yoona's blinking phone cautiously.

              An unknown number was calling, and Suho contemplated between shouting for Yoona or answering it for himself. The number was oddly familiar and so Suho decided to answer it.

              “Yeobose–”

              A deep edited voice hissed through the receiver.

              “Stay away from Luhan if you don't want to get hurt. I'm warning you. The falling pot is just the start. You better expect more, expect worse, Miss Im Yoona. Stay safe.”

              buzz. Call disconnected.

              Suho clenched the phone in his fists and pursed his lips. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

              “This is bad. This is really bad.”

              “What's bad? Who called, Suho?” Yoona asked as she stepped out of her room with her bag.

              Suho jumped in surprise, but quickly covered his shock with a shake of his head and a forced smile.

              “It was nothing. Just some wrong call. Don't worry.”

              Yoona nodded and continued walking.

              “Okay. . . Well, I'm ready. Let's go, Suho.”

              “Okay.”

              Yoona walked to that with Suho behind her. She swung her door open and almost tripped when she didn't see the package that was lying on the ground.

              “Omo! What's this?”

              She bent to pick up the package and inspected it curiously. It was a red box with a gold ribbon tied around it. There was a quick scribble on the box saying that it was for her.

              Suho stood horrified behind her and was about to stop her from opening it.

              “Wai–“

              Yoona's eyes widened in fear. She dropped the opened box with a high pitched scream and took a wobbly step back, her back leaning against Suho.

              The box clattered on the ground with a loud crash revealing a bloody knife and a note smeared with blood saying “DIE.”

              She felt her knees buckle and fell on the floor whilst shaking in shock and in fear.

              “W-what is this?”

              Fear ran through Yoona and sent chills down her spine.

              You almost died. You're scared, Yoona. You could have died. You're weak, stupid, lozer, ignorant, ---

              Yoona clutched her head as willed the voice to stop. *No, no, no, shut up!*

              The cold, icy voice hissed in her head as she clutched her head painfully.

              Stay away from Luhan. This is warning number two from me. Enjoy your day, Miss Im Yoona, and I hope you enjoy what I have in store for you.


 

< | >

              Baekhyun walked away angrily as he saw the scene before his eyes. He has had enough of her tricks. He warned her. He really did, but she didn't listen.

              He quickly left the building and ran through the streets. He slowed down when he passed by a familiar brown hair.

              His eyes gleamed, and his heart pounded loudly in his chest. A low growl escaped his throat when he saw her, smirking tauntingly as she drank her cup of tea.

              “Did you enjoy my opening act, Baekkie? Better yet, I hope she enjoyed it.”

              Baekhyun gripped the table hard as he glared at her.

              “I warned you, Soo Jung.”

              “Oh please, where's your manners, Byun Baekhyun? It's Krystal-noona, not Soo Jung.”

              A crack appeared on the table as Baekhyun gripped it tighter.

              “I told you not to hurt her, didn't I?”

              Krystal laughed softly and took another sip.

              “You're too uptight. I barely touched a hair on her, and it's not like she's hurt or anything. I simply warned her so I wouldn't have to kill her too.”

              Baekhyun eyes flashed gold for a moment before reverting back to its usual brown color.

              “Don't worry about killing her because I'll make to sure kill you first before you can do anything else.”

              Krystal faked a whimper then scoffed.

              “I'll be careful. You should too. You wouldn't want to break that vow of ours, would you? I can already see the cracks on your resolution like this table you accidentally gripped too hard.”

              Baekhyun's jaw visibly tightened but he loosened his grip and turned to leave once again.

              He looked back at her one last time with gold glowing eyes.

              “Soo Jung-noona, some people--no, she is worth breaking vows for.”

 

< | >

Annyeong~ I'm back with another update~ yehet! I'm sorry this is still unbetad, but I hope you enjoyed it~ I'm not fond of drama but heck! I keep writing drama XD oh well, the story will go like how it's supposed to go. *Sigh* drama is energy draining. . . . I need to fill myself with fluff!!! Anyway, Hello to the new readers~ and don't be afraid to comment your thoughts, people!! I'm left scared here cuz I don't if what I'm writing is good enough ToT 
A thousand thank to those who subscribed, commented, and upvoted~ Honestly, just you guys reading my fic makes me really happy already so please do continue supporting me~
See you on my next update~ (approx. some time next week cuz I have some homeworks I need to complete now)
Saranghaeyo~ <3 <3