I.

Shattered

1 > > >

 

           Yoona quietly sipped her coffee and breathed in the fresh morning air. The sun had just started to rise, and it set a bluish glow in the sky. Most of the people in the neighborhood were still asleep, and the street felt eerily quiet without the usual honking of the vehicles and the buzzing crowds of people.

           She took another sip of coffee and let out a soft sigh. It hadn't been long since she moved to this part of the city. It was probably just around two weeks, but the locals had been very kind to her. She could still remember the first time she arrived and the land lady had thrown her a welcoming party along with a few other boys.

           She chuckled at the memory.

           "Noona!"

           *Speaking of the boys* Yoona turned her head and smiled at the boy with the messy brown hair.

           "Don't you mean Yoona?" She raised a questioning brow at her unexpected guest, "You should remember that you're one year older than me."

           "It can't be helped. Our little Xiumin over here looks a lot younger than you are," another guy said as he entered the room and draped his arms teasingly over Xiumin's shoulder.

           Xiumin pouted. "I'm not little, Kris!"

           He shrugged off Kris's arm and took a step away from the giant. Truth be told, Xiumin was not that small, but when he stood beside Kris, Yoona just couldn't help but think of him as a little kid.

           Yoona leaned back on her chair and stretched her arms up then turned to face the two boys again. "So, what are you two doing here?"

           Xiumin stuffed his hands in his pockets with a cheeky smile. "Why else? Of course we're here to pick up our beloved Yoona-sshi for her first day in the university~"

           Yoona scoffed and turned to face the clock.

           "Yah! Are you kidding me? It's freakin' four in the morning! Who would come to pick someone up so early in the morning?"

           "Apparently us."

           Yoona ran her slender fingers through her long brown hair and let out an exasperated sigh. "I can only imagine what would have happened if I was asleep."

           "Who cares? You're awake now, aren't you?" Kris ruffled Yoona's hair playfully and sank down on the chair beside her. "Xiumin-ah! Get me a cup of coffee too~"

           Xiumin stopped pouring his coffee and turned to face Kris. He placed his hands on his hips and scoffed, "What am I? Your slave? Go get your own coffee!"

           Kris stood up from his seat and wrapped his arms around the pouting Xiumin. "Mianhe, hyung. I'll treat you to baozi later as an apology."

           "Yah! Kris-ah, are you trying to bribe me? J-just so you know, I-I won't fall for it!" Xiumin quickly removed Kris's arms from around him and stomped to Yoona's side. He mentally cursed himself for stuttering.

           "Not even for three pieces of baozi?" a guy entered the room with a plastic full of baozi. "It's a fair deal, you know?"

           Two other guys entered the room after him.  "Breakfast has arrived~"

           Yoona stood up from her chair with eyes wide from disbelief and scanned the boys from head to toe. The boys were wearing matching outfits that was supposed to be a "badass" look. She cringed her nose.

           "Look, I really appreciate you bringing breakfast and all, but the next time you guys bring breakfast, please do not wear something so. . . so--" Yoona was scrambling her brain for a word she could use without sounding too harsh when she was interrupted.

           "Awesome?" the guy carrying the baozi suggested with a smirk as he placed the bag cheerfully on the table and gestured  their self-proclaimed "awesome" outfit. The other two boys shrugged and shook their head disapprovingly.

           "Chen forced us into it," the shorter one explained while Chen feigned innocence and grabbed himself a baozi from the plastic bag. "Lay and Tao were the one who insisted to surprise you guys with matching outfits. I merely supplied the clothes."

           Tao, the taller one, jabbed his elbow at Chen's sides and glared at him. "Stop lying, would you? Unless you want me to give you a black-eye."

           Chen cringed and took a step away from the growling maknae. "Okay, okay. Sheesh, you don't have to threaten me."

           Everyone laughed, and Kris leaned forward to get a high-five from Tao who just smirked proudly.

 

< | >

           Luhan huffed warm air on his cold fingers and wrapped his coat tighter around his freezing body. The air fogged where he breathed, and his coat was all wrinkled from his tugging. He could hear the eerie caw of the crows flying above him. In this world of black and white, the red stains on the ground was the only other color that you would see.

           He watched as the last one the snow fell weightlessly and covered the haunting red stains on the barren ground. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. The cold wind felt like whips lashing at his face, but the pain the wind brought was nothing compared the pain he felt in his heart. The pain was piercing, and Luhan felt like he was dying all over again.

 

           "Luhan! What are you doing?" a girl with long, wavy brown hair came bouncing to him and tapped him on his shoulder. Luhan felt his heart tighten when her cold fingers touched his bare neck. "Aren't you cold out here?"

           Luhan didn't respond.

           "Luhan~ you should get back inside. It's freezing out here! You might die!" the girl tugged on the hem of Luhan's tattered coat.

           "I'm already dead." Luhan felt himself whisper.

           The girl leaned closer.

           "Did you say something?"

           Luhan's lips quirked up to a sad smile.

 

           "It's nothing. That's right; it's nothing."

           Luhan opened his eyes and found himself back in the cold abode of the real world. Her warmth was gone, and there was nothing but snow around him once again.

           A short sigh escaped his lips. He knew better than to imagine his past life, but as much as it was painful, it was also comforting. He missed her so much. He missed her voice; he missed her touch, but most of all, he missed her.

 

< | >

           The glass felt cold under Yoona's fingers. After breakfast, the boys had changed out of their silly outfits, and the group proceeded to ride the bus to their university.

           "Yoona, are you nervous?" Yoona felt Kris's hot breath against her neck. She shivered for a moment.

           "Yah! Yi Fan-sshi, just because Xiumin is older than me, doesn't mean you are too," Yoona turned and flicked Kris on his forehead softly, "Really, kids these days!"

           Kris rubbed his forehead and chuckled, "You talk like you're so old."

           There was a jolt from the back, and a moment later, Xiumin's head popped up. "Hey, if Yoona is old, how old does that make me then?"

           Chen pretended to think for a bit.

           "Very old?" he proposed. Everyone burst into laughter while Yoona just shook her head slightly and smiled at their silliness. What a bunch of crazy friends she had here!

           "Ah! I can see our stop," Lay announced, finally stifling the laughter of his friends. Yoona turned to look, and sure enough, she couls see SM University in the distance. Several other students were making their way nonchalantly towards the big structure.

           Finally, the bus screeched to a stop, and the students that were in the bus flowed out one by one. Kris got off first before offering Yoona a hand.

           "Stop trying to be a gentleman, Kris," Tao called from behind. Kris just rolled his eyes in response, "You're just jealous, Tao~"
           Yoona chuckled and stepped aside, making way for Tao. "Let's let the jealous one go first then."

           Tao scoffed and looked back one last time before hopping off the vehicle. "Just so you know, I'm not jealous. You were just taking too long."

           The guys behind Yoona laughed at Tao's comment and moved along. Yoona hopped off last.

 

           "Hah~ fresh air," Yoona streched her arms upward as she walked with the guys across the sidewalk. She closed her eyes and stopped to enjoy the cool autumn wind on her face.

           "Don't close your eyes, Noona. You might tri--" Kris's eyes widened as he watched Yoona trip and collided with someone.

           "Yoona!"

           Before she could even hit the ground, a strong arm brought her back to his side.

           "Ah, sor--"

           "You should look at where you're walking next time," the boy's voice was cold and icy as he let go of Yoona's arm and continued down the path. 

           Yoona watched as his white hair faded into the crowd of students and disappeared from her sight. She didn't see his face, but there was something about his voice that seemed so familiar to her.

           "At least let me say thank you."

 

< |  >  SHATTERED  < | >

 

Annyeong~ 
hehe, I feel so accomplished after typing such a rare long chapter!! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter and look forward to the next~ Poster is done by my lovely best friend~

comments are very much appreciated :3

see you in the next chapter!